GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if using the Centramatics Wheel Balancer is used quite a bit by most riders ? I'm going to have to put on a new front tire in next few months and wondered if this might need to go with it ? Any and all suggestions, experiences are greatly appreciated.

·
motorcycle cowboy
935 Posts
I had them on the front wheel. I could not stand the noise that they make at low speed. Sounded like brake pads rubbing.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I had them on for a while then took them off could not feel any difference either way with tyre cupping ect the wing is so smooth a ride doubt it you really need them :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I'd guess that they're not significantly better, nor are they likely to be any worse than a good balancing job, done by a trained, technician, on an accurate dynamic tire balancing machine. OTOH those are a few rather significant caveats.

They do add significantly to the unsprung weight of each wheel. To that end they probably detract slightly from the handling capabilities of the bike at the extreme. On a road bike it doesn't concern me.

Mostly, in my case, they allow me to mindlessly choose the least expensive shop to mount the tires that I buy on-line and to not bother with or worry about balancing the tires.

As far as noise goes; every now and then, at a very low speed I can hear a faint swishing noise. I don't find it objectionable. YMMV of course.

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
In long run cheaper than beads and lot more convienant ! Also like beads keep tires balanced as they wear. Most dont take there wheels off after x amount of miles n rebalance. I use / reuse beads . Centamatics are just beads in a tube .

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Bought a used 2015(44,000) with no weights on the front wheel. Knowing the previous owner I don't believe he didn't balance the tire only that it didn't need any weights. I installed used front centramatics and was very pleased at the difference in the ride. I have used beads for a long time but never went from a non weighted tire to beads. Which is better I don't know but I will stick with the CMs as long as I have them and put the rear unit on when that CT wears out,it has beads now.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Expensive, but believe in the theory. Weight is negligible on a nine hundred pound bike, and I've never paid any attention to any noise they may create. Smooth and great tire wear. It's the same technology that keeps modern washing machine in balance. Beads will do the same thing and are cheaper, but I chose the centramatics because I have the TPMS.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have them on my bike, my son on his and my riding buddy has them as well--
Combined those 3 bikes travel in excess of 30,000 per year -
In my opinion they work well and are EASY -
Take the wheels off - go to a cheap shop and put on new rubber (or do it yourself) and remount them -
No muss about balancing - and they adjust as the tires wear -
I still got cupping on my set of Avon Cobras --(at 15,000 miles) -
Now I buy cheap Bridgestone tires and change them every year -
My son installed them after he had ridden about 10K on his bike and noticed the difference (in a good way) immediately -

They work - they are easy - what more could you want?

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I am a Centramatics user and like them a lot ! I did notice the noise at low speeds for a while but must have learned to ignore it because in order to hear it now I have to be listening for it. They ain’t cheap but they do what they are supposed to do.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just a question before I do something I may regret. Dyna Beads will affect the TPMS unit?

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Just a question before I do something I may regret. Dyna Beads will affect the TPMS unit?
If this question is because of what I said, the answer is that I don't know. I just thought that they would be more difficult to install. I've never installed them before sealing the bead didn't know if they would blow out or cause problems sealing, I knew I could no longer add them through the valve stem. Others may chime in that may know for sure.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Dyna Beads do not effect the TPMS. They install easier in the Honda TPMS stems than with the standard stems.
I have ran the Beads for many years. My experience is that I get a couple thousand more wear miles and no cupping since I started balancing with the Beads.
I like the idea of the balancing medium being furthest from the axil. The Centramatics is closer to the axil. Reports are that they balance excellent, however I would rather balance further outward.

When I get a new tire, I drill a 1" hole saw hole in the center tread of the old tire and remove the beads. They can be cleaned of dust and debris and re-used if in good condition.

So that's my opinion on the subject. :wink2: :kiss:

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
I think they are great! I hate those stick-on weights anyway. And I don't want to bother with beads. My front tires have been wearing a lot more evenly since installing the Centramatics. The beauty is that the wheels are always perfectly balanced. Yeah, I can hear them sometimes - just lets me know they are working. The music is usually on anyway so I don't have to hear them often.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts