GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh, the chores we male spouses have to perform.

We save all of our daily newspapers, also recycle plastic, glass, and aluminum containers. Periodically I have to load them up and take them to a recycling station, my committment to this recyling endeavor. Tough duty it is, having to load up my Harbor Freight Tag-Along trailer and take a motorcycle ride in order to "get 'r' done". Not driving my V-8 pickup truck adds to the "green-ness" of this chore.

I keep telling her that this is a nasty chore to get done, but I'm willing to "bite the bullet", make the huge sacrifice, and do my share. The fact that it requires a motorcycle ride has absolutely nothing to do with it!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oh, the chores we male spouses have to perform.

We save all of our daily newspapers, also recycle plastic, glass, and aluminum containers. Periodically I have to load them up and take them to a recycling station, my committment to this recyling endeavor. Tough duty it is, having to load up my Harbor Freight Tag-Along trailer and take a motorcycle ride in order to "get 'r' done". Not driving my V-8 pickup truck adds to the "green-ness" of this chore.

I keep telling her that this is a nasty chore to get done, but I'm willing to "bite the bullet", make the huge sacrifice, and do my share. The fact that it requires a motorcycle ride has absolutely nothing to do with it!!!
I did the green recycling thing for awhile once. Use to separate out the plastics, from the glass, from the paper, then took it all down to the local "recyclers" bins setup by our wonderful city. One day, out of curiousity, I followed the city truck as it picked up the bins, placed them on his trailer, then drove them to the county dump and emptied them into the landfill, in one huge pile. Not wasting my time anymore. At least not as long as I live here.

Did I report it? Yes. Was anything done? No. Two months later I again followed the truck, and they did the same thing.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I did the green recycling thing for awhile once. Use to separate out the plastics, from the glass, from the paper, then took it all down to the local "recyclers" bins setup by our wonderful city. One day, out of curiousity, I followed the city truck as it picked up the bins, placed them on his trailer, then drove them to the county dump and emptied them into the landfill, in one huge pile. Not wasting my time anymore. At least not as long as I live here.

Did I report it? Yes. Was anything done? No. Two months later I again followed the truck, and they did the same thing.
I haven't followed the "Waste Management" recycling garbage truck, but I strongly feel they are doing exactly the same thing here. Just to keep the wife unit happy I keep taking out the recyclables once a week. Easier to keep the peace that way.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
My garbage collection service charges $1.00 a bag extra for whatever you can't get into the can, that you have to roll out to the street.

However they want you to "give them" the recyclables.

I will get greener when they start paying me for my trash.

Dang sure ain't going to haul it to them in my Bushtec Trailer.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

They do the same thing here, I'm not wasting my time and sffort anymore.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Duh!!

To op or other if they know, where did you get the shocks for the lid on your trailer?
The air struts on the trailer lid came from Harbor Freight. Uh, they were part of the kit, but may be available as a seperate part. If I still have the assembly instructions (and can find 'em) and if they list a part number, I'll post it here or PM you. Maybe someone else can chime in on this one, I thought I knew right where to look for the ass'y instructions, but I'm gonna have to keep looking.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My garbage collection service charges $1.00 a bag extra for whatever you can't get into the can, that you have to roll out to the street.

However they want you to "give them" the recyclables.

I will get greener when they start paying me for my trash.

Dang sure ain't going to haul it to them in my Bushtec Trailer.
All that money for a trailer, and to what end? Can't use it for somethin'
practicle? I lined my HF trailer with some indoor/outdoor carpet, looks like a luxury trailer inside. Works for me, and works for me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I do the recycling game with paper, plastics, etc. Just re-did the bathrooms and installed a waterless urinal as well. Will save thousands of gallons of water a year plus some bucks.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I do the recycling game with paper, plastics, etc. Just re-did the bathrooms and installed a waterless urinal as well. Will save thousands of gallons of water a year plus some bucks.
Them waterless urinal thingies are great, and cheap too.

Plastic funnel from Wally world stuffed in the end of an old garden hose and poked out the trailer window. When I can afford a new, full length hose I won't even have to get up out of my rocking chair to make water.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for trell

Found the instructions. The trailer is called HAUL-MASTER TAG-ALONG TRAILER, Model 66771. The parts list simply calls the strut: Part 17 "Gas Spring", Q'ty 2. No part number. The instruction booklet includes this: For technical questions or replacement parts, please call 1-800-444-3353.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
They do the same thing here, I'm not wasting my time and sffort anymore.
They do the same here. I watched the trash man dump my garbage can then reach down and dump the recycle bin in the same truck two different times.:wrong: The recycle bin now is a storage container in the garage.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I'm not green but will pick up groceries with the bike n trailer and have been known to carry a bag of horse feed in it! :wrong:

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
Eat a pound of Spinach for dinner, next day you will be "Green" .... I was....

Matt(BCNV) :lol:

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Why should I spend my time sorting my trash? Waste Management has people hired to do that. Screw it. I remember when people used to throw their garbage out of the car as they went down the road. Look how far we have come. Next, they are going to expect us to haul it to the landfill and bury ourselves.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Not Much but it Helps

I know this isn't a whole lot, but I do have solar spot lighting around the outside of my house and parking areas. And I do try to walk everywhere in town when possible to save on gas and spent carbon monoxide. I also kill my engine at the drive-thrus to keep from excess idleing and wasting of precious high $ fuel. Prolly most or all of my efforts are more to save my $$$ than to save the "Earth" although I'm sure in the grand scheme of things it all adds up :yes1:

·
Administrator
3,584 Posts

I agree with you and X-Cop that the waterless urinals are nice. I too have one on my back porch. Living in the country makes going green so easy.

Glen

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm not very green.
I run air conditioning and heat in my house
I use lights.
I pass methane
I ride thousands of miles I don't have to ride.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts