GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for all of the trike owners here on the board.

I have an 06 1800a that I am considering triking. Right now I have 10k on the bike. Here is my problem. My knees are shot and I can handle the bike just fine as long as I keep it upright. Recently I had a bad injury to my right shoulder. I no longer have full function on my right arm. I can't reach out grab the right handgrip. I can lean forward and get a grip and once that is done I have plenty of motion and dexterity to operate the bike. My problem is if I get in trouble with the weight of the bike on the right side, it's going down. No way I could stop it now. My right knee is in the worst shape and now my right arm.

I don't want to give up the bike and after seeing some of the posts from Wheels, I can tell that I have more than a good chance to keep riding for some time. I have a few questions.

1. Just how much effort does it take to stear the bike? Could you do it with one hand?

2. After a few hours on the trike side of the board I can tell that I really need to ride a few kits to see what I like. I would much rather have a smooth ride and give up some ability to ride hard in the corners. I will have to be able to tow a trailer behind the trike.

3. I was more than capable of installing the kit myself before the inury. Now it is beyond my means to do so. Here is the next real hard question. Who should I trust to intall the kit? I travel full time around the country as a construction superintendent. I have no place to call home, we live full time on the road, and have for 5 years now. I could go anyplace and have the kit installed, but what about service after the fact. If I am half way accross the country and need service what then?

I see that the fuel miles takes a major hit with the kit. Is their room for more than 3.4 gallons of fuel? I would like to see at least 5 gallons if possible.

The 4.5 degree rake mod seems like it would be an absolute must. Also I won't give up the ABS system. Will that cut down on my choice of kits?

I also wonder if it would not be better insurance wise to just sell the 06 and buy a new bike already triked by a Honda dealer.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Marc

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Marc,
If you click on the WWW at the bottom of this response and call the number on my web site. Or send me your number in a PM or email, and I will call you back. It would take me a week to type up a good answer, and still miss something.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
George, is KJ5IX a ham call sign?

George Lewis, WB5WFW

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
George,
Yes , I think we exchanged email last year about your friend near Houston.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Marc

You're in good hands with George and the others as far as the technical stuff goes given that I am still new myself. Only been doing this bike stuff for about 1 1/2 years now and still learning a great deal. You did the right thing for sure by coming to the board. These guys are such a wealth of knowledge. I have learned a great deal from many and it has all improved my riding experience.

In short, can it be done, sure. As you can tell I am a firm believer, as well as supporter, of the "life is what you make of it" mind set.

I would welcome any chance to assist you in your efforts and would be happy to share what I know and the contacts that I have if need be. I have several sources for accommodating equipment. Does not sound like you need much at this point other then the hard core bike stuff.

I know of a few folks here in the Maryland area that do trike kits so would be happy to pass that along if you are in this area.

Drop me an email or PM if I can be of any help.

I

·
0 Posts
Hey Marc:

Where do you get only 3.4 gallons of fuel capacity? My 02 holds 6.6 gallons :?

I wouldn't say fuel milage takes a BIG hit. Two or 3 MPG difference.

Even with a 4.5 degree rake kit on my Champion, it takes some steering effort in tight turns at slow speeds, but probably nothing you can't live with.

On roads with normal curves, you can easily steer with one hand.

If you want to keep the ABS, forget Champion. They do not use it on their kits...at least they didn't used to. Frankly, you don't need it, but that is up to you. I am not sure what other kits incorporate it.

Welcome to triking what ever you decide on. You will love it.

Ride safe.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
didn't say if you had any type of handlebar risers, these will move the bars a little closer to you and may help. It's nothing going down the road, but in tight corners or curves, it'll take some effort, a test ride would be in order.

I'm having the aux fuel tank installed in my CSC kit, will add 3.4 gallons, not sure about others ( Hannigan Etc).

4.5 rake kit is a must.....

I

·
0 Posts
IBTrike said:
Hey Marc:

Where do you get only 3.4 gallons of fuel capacity? My 02 holds 6.6 gallons :?

I wouldn't say fuel milage takes a BIG hit. Two or 3 MPG difference.

Even with a 4.5 degree rake kit on my Champion, it takes some steering effort in tight turns at slow speeds, but probably nothing you can't live with.

On roads with normal curves, you can easily steer with one hand.

If you want to keep the ABS, forget Champion. They do not use it on their kits...at least they didn't used to. Frankly, you don't need it, but that is up to you. I am not sure what other kits incorporate it.

Welcome to triking what ever you decide on. You will love it.

Ride safe.
Sorry Marc. I assumed that you were referring to the fuel capacity of your Wing, not the capacity of an auxillary fuel tank in a trike kit.

Whatever you decide, remember that an auxillary fuel tank in your trike kit will equate to less storage for luggage, etc. Ya can't get 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag. Something has to give. All depends on your needs and priorties.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
581 Posts
IBTrike said:
IBTrike said:
Hey Marc:

Whatever you decide, remember that an auxillary fuel tank in your trike kit will equate to less storage for luggage, etc. Ya can't get 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag. Something has to give. All depends on your needs and priorties.

Ride safe.
John, I think before you make comments like that you had better check
them out. The CSC tank fits under the seat!
Ken

I

·
0 Posts
Ken L. said:
IBTrike said:
IBTrike said:
Hey Marc:

Ride safe.
John, I think before you make comments like that you had better check
them out. The CSC tank fits under the seat!
Ken
Ken:

I stand corrected. Thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
How hard are trikes to steer

Marc, I am somewhat of a newcomer to the trike world, having purchased a 1998 GL1500/Lehman and riding that until about 6 weeks ago when we traded for a GL 1800/Lehman. Although the 98 was raked, and more than the 06, I could not steer it with 1 hand. THe 06 is NO problem steering with just my left hand as I am also right handed and suffered an injury to my right shoulder. If you get near Litchfield, Il, about 55 miles North of St Louis, Mo, I would highly recommend a trip to Niehaus Cycle Sales. When I was there 2 weeks ago they had no less than 6 new (07) CSC Goldwings built and I believe a couple of Lehmans also. I have had nothing but excellent customer service from them as have several other trike riders in our local riding group. I have NO relationship to this dealership or any of the personel there other than as a customer. I am sure BIll Burke would be more than happy to discuss your concerns. I did miss 2 wheels when we first went to a trike, but I have NO regrets now and am completely happy with our decision. Hope this helps, if I can assist further, please contact me. Kruz ez, Dave

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Marc...you have a PM

·
Registered
406 Posts
Steering was difficult for me, too..and sometimes, I slip back into my bad habit I had the first few months. That means trying to muscle the handlebar, rather than leverage it.

I have a DFT with a 3 degree rake. I thought that was the problem. Research a post by me where this Board came to my rescue while I was working my way through the Colorado Rockies, heading to Wyoming. Wow, was that tough! However, with their really good descriptions of steering and managing the trike, I got it within a few days of that post.

Anyway, now I can get through most normal benders with one hand, locking the outside arm, or putting pressure there, and the trike dips right thru the curve. On tighter turns, there is a bit more effort...a slight lean into the curve with a little, just little, harder push on the outside grip. This technique has it made it more fun, easier on my arms, hands and shoulders and now, I feel like a veteran triker. It does take practice.

I think DFT keeps the ABS if you have it. Personally, I'd rather have a person who knows what they are doing and who has done these many times before handling the conversion. Good luck - you'll do well with your trike!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to say thanks to everyone who has responded to my post.

I have more information now than I can process. If I can pry myslef off the jobsite long enough today I will try to contact some of you who were nice enough to help me out with this.

I have talked to my insurance company an I have their needs and costs for this project. This looks like something I will be able to do.

I just have lots of home work left to do. Again, thanks for all the great information.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Steering for Marc

I know we are all Goldwingers here but Marc You should at least take a look at this Machine :
WWW.THOROUGHBRED-MOTORSPORTS.COM

To the other members you all owe it to yourselve to look at Marc and Claudia homepage at ittchyhitch What a awesome site and the videos are OUTSTANDING Thank You Marc & Claudia

We Lived in The Salem Oregon area for many years and you sure made us homesick :)
FishinfrednNyra

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, thank you Fishin Fred for your enjoyment of our website! We do have some of our rides posted under the http://www.itchyhitch.com/wingin.htm page and you can then go directly to an entire page of video photo stories as well.
Marc will be having his shoulder surgery on Jan. 10th and is given a 50-50 chance of having it made better but because it is open surgery (due to the massiveness of the tear) recuperation will take up to a year. We probably won't know for some time as to how riding the Wing will be affected but we are still considering triking it at some point.
Thanks for all your help.
Claudia
www.itchyhitch.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts