GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, let me pre-face this by saying that I'm not a motorcycle mechanic (or any other kind of mechanic for that matter :roll:), but I can do some basic things like attach highway pegs, change oil, etc.

So, I just bought the EC IPod connector for the CD plugin and the OEM CB radio and antenna. Since they both install into the trunk, I thought it might be best to do them both at once. My question is "Are these "do-able" installs for the averge backyard klutze like me" or should I be taking it down to the local dealer to get these installed?

I saw one thread where the guy was talking about 5 hours for just the CB install. Is that correct? I mean do I really have to take half the bike apart to plug in a CB to a pre-existing harness? :wrong: His had the airbag and mine doesn't, but it does have Nav and ABS so they may complicate it.

Guys. excuse me if this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find a thread on it other than the aforementioned air bag install.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
The top shelter has to come off on all models :!: so that in itself, if you haven't ever had it off, that alone is good for at least 2.5 good hours :shock: Be sure to mark where all of the screws come from.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I can only answer for the '02 Wing so far ... since it's too darned cold to mess with the pastic for the '09 install ... but yeah ... you do have to yank half the bike apart. For some reason, the conventional wisdom was to put the CB connector close to the actual radio ... so you have to get under the "top shelter" (the plastic over the gas tank and radio) in order to make the main connection, AND connect in the noise filters that Honda provides. I remember 2 for sure, but I vaguely remember having to also remove the left pocket and install a filter there as well.

I scheduled all my installs at the same time, because almost everything requires you to remove the seat and do at least some unbuttoning of the top shelter.

The one thing Honda suggests that most do NOT do si removing the trunk to drill the hole for the cables. It seems like all of us just #carefully# drill it in place.

If you check the various instruction online here, you'll find that many also do not pull off the top shelter, just unbolt enough to get fingers under there.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Having done six of them now (for others, mine came with it), I can honestly say that if you have never done one plan a whole day and do it slow. The shelter has to come off as you have no idea where and how to thread the cable forward. However the trunk doesn't have to come off as you can drill it with a 90 degree drill after the seat is off or just loosen the trunk bolts to tilt it to get clearance. I've done on in as little as 2.5 hours but like I said I've done several. Also if you have to drill for the antenna count that in. Good luck and TAKE YOUR TIME!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Steve,
The CB install is fairly straight forward, just follow the instructions and take your time.

If after the install you get an error message it is prob due to plugging the power cable into the wrong cable; there are two under the seat that will fit. Just plug it into the other one.

The metal brace in the trunk for the antenna also serves as a ground connection, be sure to clean the paint off where the screws fit (both ends) for a good connection.

While you have the top shelter off it would be a good idea to replace the air filter while you're there (assuming your bike is not brand new).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I agree. This is a day project. The toughest thing for me was to get the [email protected]@##@#@#$%%[email protected] meter panel off! The wires were a [email protected]@[email protected]#@#! to disconnect. Especially the tweeters. The instructions that come with the cb show everything else, even the wiring routing on the frame. DO NOT REMOVE THE TRUNK! You can drill the 1 1/8 hole (or whatever the diameter is) using a wood bit. you won't get it completely through but enough so you can hack it out and finish it up with a rat tail file from the trunk inside.

Be very careful with the antenna holes in the trunk. drill the pilot holes from the inside, and the full holes from the outside. Steve Saunders site has a tutorial and video on this here:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1800CBfitting.htm

Antenna fitting (video included in link from this page)

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1800CBantenna.htm

Good Luck!

Daveo

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I did mine with out taking the whole shelter off. Just remove the side screws and loosen the top ones enough to raise it a couple of inches to reach the CB plug on the right hand side of the frame.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I did the entire installation in about 3 hours. The hard part is taking off the shelter (for the first time). After the first time, the shelter comes off in about 30 minutes. Be mindful of the screw positions due to different sizes, I used a sharpie and marked them L1, L2, R1, R2, etc to make sure that I did not mix them up. Don't become ham fisted in taking off the plastic trim. It will come off. If you can follow the instructions, you can do this.

Do a search for removing the shelter, and tips for installation of the CB. Plenty of photos out there. Also, google goldwing maintenance tips, gl1800 maintenance etc. If you have, take a look a Fred's "entertainment video".

Just take your time and you will get through this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts