GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on Car Tires for years. Different Motorcycles and different tires (Nexen, Yokohama and Kumhos have always been good performers for me. My Valk and F6B did not have TPMS so running lower PSI was not an issue. I HAVE an aftermarket TPMS on my old Wing and HAD one on my F6B so all was good but I really don't care for the aftermarket units.
When I traded the F6B for the 2015 Wing a year ago I put a Yokohama NON RF on because I had one still mounted on an extra F6B rim. All has been good but I will need replacing soon and will go back to a RF.
I DO NOT want to disable the TPMS or just ignore the light, so I wonder.
Have any of you guys run 38psi or so with a run flat and feel the ride is too harsh or the handling is negatively effected ? And which tire was the issue with.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I've run mine anywhere from 40 PSI down to 30 PSI, and the only thing I noticed was at higher pressures the bike seemed a bit more Sporty. Is the ride stiffer? Yes. Is it harsh? No, but definitely firmer. I'd think you'd be just fine.

Reactions: F6 rider

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, always nice to hear another's feedback.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
Because I ride mostly in the Ozarks my PSI is always between 38-40 which works great for me.

The only negative side to running the higher PSI will be wearing the tire out in the center before the edges.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I'm not worried about wearing out the center.
Here's a picture of my last Motorcycle tire before I went to Car Tires.

Attachments

Reactions: Monk

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
What, there's only a few cords showing. I think you got your moneys worth. :wink2:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'm not worried about wearing out the center.
Here's a picture of my last Motorcycle tire before I went to Car Tires.

Looks like you even used up the chicken strips! NICE!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like you even used up the chicken strips! NICE!!:thumbup:

Funny that with bike tires I wear the sides but with all the car tires I still wear out the center first. My current tire is the Yokohama non run flat at 38psi and 21,000 miles and I still have decent tread on the sides but getting close to the wear bars in the center.

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Run flats IMHO don’t get “harsh” they get nimble and crisp. The main downside of higher pressure is premature wear. The tradeoff is between longevity and the TPMS light. The cushy comfort of a lower inflated RF on longer trips is an added plus , the nimble handling of higher inflation is the upside. Harsh is not a word I’d use, as even an overinflated RF is a better ride than a normally inflated MC. That’s my personal (and my co-riders) opinion.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I reverse register the TPMS wheel sensors on my 2012 and run 35 in the rear and the light stays out. I have run the Michelins 29,000 and still had 3/32 in the center when taken off. I don't feel any harshness. YMMV

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Run flats IMHO don’t get “harsh” they get nimble and crisp. The main downside of higher pressure is premature wear. The tradeoff is between longevity and the TPMS light. The cushy comfort of a lower inflated RF on longer trips is an added plus , the nimble handling of higher inflation is the upside. Harsh is not a word I’d use, as even an overinflated RF is a better ride than a normally inflated MC. That’s my personal (and my co-riders) opinion.

:thumbup:

Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I reverse register the TPMS wheel sensors on my 2012 and run 35 in the rear and the light stays out. I have run the Michelins 29,000 and still had 3/32 in the center when taken off. I don't feel any harshness. YMMV

I have the ALTEQ Reset tool and did the same reverse register when I first mounted the CT so I could run the lower psi in the rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts