GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an '08 over the weekend, had the "no heated seat or grips" issue. Started and ran it with the grips turned off, the seat heater is working, but really doesn't get that warm, let alone hot. My previous bike (Indian Roadmaster) got HOT, even on low I had to turn it off in 30 degree weather after 1/2 hour or so. Not so here-just wondering what's normal. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have an 2008, the seat only gets "noticeable" when warm, I don't consider it much. The grips only get significantly warm if you are wearing thin gloves. Say a warm day that gets cool at night as you are riding with only summer gloves (or bare hands...which I NEVER do..), then I may have to turn the grips down some. But, wearing thick cool/cold weather gloves, I barely notice the grips either. I'm not impressed with the Honda heated seat / grips. But, I understand they are not going to make them super hot for fear someone would get injured. I find heated clothing much better and heated gloves for cold riding a must.

Fred H had a mod for the seat to make it heat more, places a resistor at a certain spot to make it heat more. I'm sure the explanation is out there somewhere on the internet if you wished to pursue.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The heat in the seat is dependent on the ambient temperature. There are thermistor in the seat that will control the ability for it to heat up besides the temperature control. Let say it is above 75-80, you will not get much if any heat in the seat. The grips do not use a thermistor so they will heat up whenever. Another thing to add is that some feel that even when its colder outside, they dont feel enough heat. Electrical Connections offer a plug and play heated seat amplifier that will cause the seat to heat up more. It just plugs inline and has resistors in it. It does the same thing that Destindoc mentions about Fred H's mod but you dont have to hack the bikes wiring harness plus the amplifier adds a little length to the seat wiring harness which aids you when removing the seat.

https://electricalconnection.com/index.php/product/honda-gl1800-heated-seat-amplifier/

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, sounds like mine is working as intended. Temps were high 50s, I could feel heat, but not that much (damp and rainy too, so could have used it). I'm going to order the electrical connections seat amp and give it a shot. Ordered new (Show Chrome) heated grips tonight.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My 08 seat gets way hotter than I care for. On a cold day I’ll crank it up at first, but within a few minutes I turn down to about 2 for the remainder of the ride. Same thing for the grips. Both will get hotter than I need on anything above the #3 setting, even at temps in the 30’s.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I leave the seat on high too long on my 18 I smell bacon. :surprise:

Reactions: Brian Dunham

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
My OEM seat was barely lukewarm no matter of the outside temperature. It would be a bit better when it's really cold outside but when the temperature was in the 40's and low 50's you could barely feel the heat.

Did that mod with resistors and it worked great. Keep in mind, there's a different resistor for the front and for the rear seat. There's a full explanation on this forum.

One other thing - when doing the mod, do it on the wires that are on the seat, not on the wiring harness. Why? Because if one day you get a different (aftermarket) seat you won't need to undo it, just unplug the OEM seat and the mode will go with the seat.

If you need resistors, I might still have them in my shed....cause you have to buy them "in a bulk". Just let me know and I'll check for them and put them in the envelope for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
As long as the seat gets as warm as your body temperature, that's all you should need. Anything too hot can be miserable. As for me, my fat @ss has enough insulation between it and the seat I rarely use the heater.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts