GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 1800 Trike with 48,000 miles. The left front rotor seems to be dragging a little and it heats up quite a bit under very light use. I have replaced the pads, greased the pins, rebuilt the caliper with new seals and cleaned the pistons until they look new, bled the system, and replaced the brake fluid.
It gets to the point where you can't keep your fingers on the rotor after a ride, even with very light use of the brakes, 1 up, and no trailer. It does not get to the point of sizzling liquids. The right one is only warm to the touch after a ride.

Should I keep looking at this or is this what is expected?

Also, when I loosen the bleeder screws to bleed the brakes, one will gravity drip quickly, but the other very slowly.

I read somewhere that the left brake should move freely up and down to engage the anti dive unit. It does move but just a little bit, no more than 1/4 inch. Anti dive seems to work ok though.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It is normal for the left front to be warmer than the right. It is linked to the rear brake pedal. Your left caliper movement is normal. This movement actuates the rear brake when you pull the front brake lever.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
It is normal for the left front to be warmer than the right. It is linked to the rear brake pedal. Your left caliper movement is normal. This movement actuates the rear brake when you pull the front brake lever.
Ron, I understood that Champion (my trike build) had de-linked the front and rear brakes. why I do not understand.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Left Font Rotor

Ron, I understood that Champion (my trike build) had de-linked the front and rear brakes. why I do not understand.
He has a Hannigan and it keeps the linked brake for rear brake pedal (when rear brakes applied it also applies pressure to the left front rotor) but not the front brake lever (no rear brakes applied when using the front brake lever. Therefore, left front rotor will heat up more than right front rotor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts