GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the bike, new, about 3 weeks ago. I have 1004 miles on it. I like just about everything about this bike right out of the box, but I was seriously disappointed by the severe helmet buffeting at anything over about 60 mph. I tried all the windshield adjustments, including the various degrees of opening the vent. I tried two different helmets, one of which has never presented problems with buffeting before. It's definitely a bike problem, as verified by the many threads about how to solve it on this forum.

I started one of those threads, and got a lot of suggestions for aftermarket solutions. The one the most people seemed to like is the National Cycle VStream SE, so that's what I got. It's well made and all, but only made a small dent in the buffeting problem. The reason I didn't go with one of the +4 options (several brands available) was that I incorrectly thought the one I was getting was a +4 windshield. It's only maybe an inch or so taller than stock. My bad. Also, I didn't want to lose adjustability, which eliminated some of the options.

So, I was going over various options when I ran into a guy at the supermarket riding a GS with an odd looking contrivance atop his shield. He told me it was a Laminar Lip, which I Googled. He said he puts them on all his bikes (he has an obscene number of them), and they completely solve the problem. They are a fairly narrow strip of transparent something that cover the top few inches of the windshield and stick up above it an inch or two. The "secret" is that they are not flat on the windshield, but the mounts leave a gap that air can flow through, supposedly relieving back pressure.

It strikes me that this is the same principle as the Windbender (or is it Airbender? - I forget).

They make one for the GL1800, but it fits the stock screen, and I'd already bought and mounted the VStream SE, which I can't return.

So, I did what I frequently do, and took matters into my own hands. I cut the top about 8" off the top of the stock windshield, and made my own version of the Laminar Lip. Unlike the store bought version, mine is removable via 2 wingnuts. It fits in the trunk easily. So on trips, I can mount and dismount it as needed. And I've still got an adjustable windshield. My version gives me another 4" of height, and like the Laminar Lip is not flat on the main windshield, but sits out a quarter of an inch or so, spaced by some rubber grommets I had laying around from the ghosts of various windshields past. The mounting bolts do not touch the plastic - only rubber, so I don't think I'll crack anything.

And, it works! Had the bike up to 80 in fairly strong winds, and the buffeting issue is definitely solved. Cruising 70 on the freeways will now be the happy experience I had envisioned I would get (and should have gotten - shame on Honda) with the stock bike.

Here are a couple of pictures. I still have a bit of cleaning up of rough edges, but the shape and hardware are final.

overview.jpg close_up.jpg

·
Registered
295 Posts
I just got the bike, new, about 3 weeks ago. I have 1004 miles on it. I like just about everything about this bike right out of the box, but I was seriously disappointed by the severe helmet buffeting at anything over about 60 mph. I tried all the windshield adjustments, including the various degrees of opening the vent. I tried two different helmets, one of which has never presented problems with buffeting before. It's definitely a bike problem, as verified by the many threads about how to solve it on this forum.

I started one of those threads, and got a lot of suggestions for aftermarket solutions. The one the most people seemed to like is the National Cycle VStream SE, so that's what I got. It's well made and all, but only made a small dent in the buffeting problem. The reason I didn't go with one of the +4 options (several brands available) was that I incorrectly thought the one I was getting was a +4 windshield. It's only maybe an inch or so taller than stock. My bad. Also, I didn't want to lose adjustability, which eliminated some of the options.

So, I was going over various options when I ran into a guy at the supermarket riding a GS with an odd looking contrivance atop his shield. He told me it was a Laminar Lip, which I Googled. He said he puts them on all his bikes (he has an obscene number of them), and they completely solve the problem. They are a fairly narrow strip of transparent something that cover the top few inches of the windshield and stick up above it an inch or two. The "secret" is that they are not flat on the windshield, but the mounts leave a gap that air can flow through, supposedly relieving back pressure.

It strikes me that this is the same principle as the Windbender (or is it Airbender? - I forget).

They make one for the GL1800, but it fits the stock screen, and I'd already bought and mounted the VStream SE, which I can't return.

So, I did what I frequently do, and took matters into my own hands. I cut the top about 8" off the top of the stock windshield, and made my own version of the Laminar Lip. Unlike the store bought version, mine is removable via 2 wingnuts. It fits in the trunk easily. So on trips, I can mount and dismount it as needed. And I've still got an adjustable windshield. My version gives me another 4" of height, and like the Laminar Lip is not flat on the main windshield, but sits out a quarter of an inch or so, spaced by some rubber grommets I had laying around from the ghosts of various windshields past. The mounting bolts do not touch the plastic - only rubber, so I don't think I'll crack anything.

And, it works! Had the bike up to 80 in fairly strong winds, and the buffeting issue is definitely solved. Cruising 70 on the freeways will now be the happy experience I had envisioned I would get (and should have gotten - shame on Honda) with the stock bike.

Here are a couple of pictures. I still have a bit of cleaning up of rough edges, but the shape and hardware are final.

View attachment 53147 View attachment 53148
Nice work! ...and yes, it's all about depressurizing that area behind the shield!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Very nice, I think I will try it on my next shield. Thanks for posting. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I have the National V Stream, guess I should have saved my old OEM wind shield. Kudos on being creative. However, what I have is working, just using the Saeng edging. For my SENA Bluetooth wind noise, just use the earplugs, still hear the audio loud and clear. Amazing how it doesn't wear you down....

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
i used the laminar lip on all my other bikes. worked like a champ. good job creating your own:)

i didnt like the laminar lip on the gw, because i would end up looking through it. so i went with the windbender hps with the rake kit, solved all my problems:)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the lip on the Wing and the Harley Road King and love the quite and non turbulence ride.Makes riding in the rain a lot better plus no bugs on the helmet or face shield.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Liminarlip

Would there be a problem looking through both shields?
I can't see over mine now which is fine with me but thinking that if I add one of these Liminarlip shields
it will be too much to safely look through.

Barney

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Nice work Dave. I'm glad to see that you found a solution that works.

Keep in mind however that there is nothing really to blame Honda for here. This is not a bike problem, but rather a wind problem, and it is different for every rider. Many riders are perfectly happy with the stock shield, and don't have any problems.

But it gets worse. For every aftermarket windshield that is out there, there will be some that think it is the greatest invention since sliced bread, while others will say that it made the buffeting worse. There is no such thing as a windshield that will suit everyone, so there is nothing Honda could have done that would satisfy everyone. I have had 6 different windshields on my bike. The best shield I have had out of all of them for me and my wife is the Honda OEM +2 shield with the side deflectors.

Some people like to look over. Some like to look through. Some ride solo. Some ride with passengers. There are many windshields that offer great protection for the driver, but will absolutely pummel the passenger. Every solution has a drawback that will make it unsuitable for someone.

Choosing a method to manage buffeting is a crapshoot. You just can't predict what will work for you until you actually try it.

That is why it is good that you shared your solution. It's just one more piece of ammunition to combat the problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would there be a problem looking through both shields?
I can't see over mine now which is fine with me but thinking that if I add one of these Liminarlip shields
it will be too much to safely look through.
Barney
I can't say how this will be in the rain, as I haven't tested that yet. Other than that, it really depends on you.

A properly adjusted windshield, under normal circumstances, will be set so that you are looking an inch or two over it at distance. On most bikes, that sends the turbulence well over your head. When I started motorcycling again in 2002 after 30+ years off, I had to adjust to the line of the top of the windshield accross my vision. It bothered me a lot at first. After a while I got used to it. Now I don't even see it consciously. My homemade setup, or a Laminar Lip if you buy one, adds another horizontal line. Other than that, it's no different.

Cruiseman wants to see the wingnuts from the back, so later I'll remount my setup and take that photo and a rider's view from the back. Right now I took it off, as it's not needed at non highway speeds. I felt the need to solve the problem early on, as I do plan long trips on this bike. But for the time being (until the weather warms up) I won't need it.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
What you have is a home made Windbender. Like an airplane wing it creates a low pressure area under the lip that forces the air up and over your head. It would be even more effective if you could create a small curve at the top, like the Windbender HPS, that further lifts the air as it leaves the windshield.

Good job, BTW. :thumbup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice work Dave. I'm glad to see that you found a solution that works.

Keep in mind however that there is nothing really to blame Honda for here. This is not a bike problem, but rather a wind problem, and it is different for every rider. Many riders are perfectly happy with the stock shield, and don't have any problems.

But it gets worse. For every aftermarket windshield that is out there, there will be some that think it is the greatest invention since sliced bread, while others will say that it made the buffeting worse. There is no such thing as a windshield that will suit everyone, so there is nothing Honda could have done that would satisfy everyone. I have had 6 different windshields on my bike. The best shield I have had out of all of them for me and my wife is the Honda OEM +2 shield with the side deflectors.

Some people like to look over. Some like to look through. Some ride solo. Some ride with passengers. There are many windshields that offer great protection for the driver, but will absolutely pummel the passenger. Every solution has a drawback that will make it unsuitable for someone.

Choosing a method to manage buffeting is a crapshoot. You just can't predict what will work for you until you actually try it.

That is why it is good that you shared your solution. It's just one more piece of ammunition to combat the problem.
There is a lot of truth to what you say. However, I have never encountered a bike, and I've owned 17 now, that was this bad in stock form. Nor have I had a bike about which there was this much complaining on the associated web fora on this issue. So it is a bike issue. I also think that having this issue be this severe for this many people on a luxury touring machine that is the flagship of their line is outrageous.

You did say one magic thing, though. You mention a Honda stock +2" windshield. Does Honda make replacement winsdhields at different heights, including a +4? If so, then I retract my criticism, as that would accomodate most riders without needing to go to the aftermarket or build something.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
There is a lot of truth to what you say. However, I have never encountered a bike, and I've owned 17 now, that was this bad in stock form. Nor have I had a bike about which there was this much complaining on the associated web fora on this issue. So it is a bike issue. I also think that having this issue be this severe for this many people on a luxury touring machine that is the flagship of their line is outrageous.

You did say one magic thing, though. You mention a Honda stock +2" windshield. Does Honda make replacement winsdhields at different heights, including a +4? If so, then I retract my criticism, as that would accomodate most riders without needing to go to the aftermarket or build something.
Honda did offer both a taller and a shorter windshield. I assume that they are still doing so.

Also, have you ever tried hand wings. I installed them before I went with my Windbender. They wings made a big difference for me. They also helped the passenger quite a bit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Photos as requested. The first is roughly a rider's view. Nothing is unclear or blurry, but there is an additional horizontal line to get used to, as well as the rubber spacers, which really aren't in a place that is bothersome.

rider_view.jpg

Second is the hardware mounting, seen from the rear. I tried to capture the whole setup, with limited success. The order of assembly, starting from the front (opposite of this view) is as follows:

1/4-20 bolt cut to length

fender washer

rubber grommet

my plastic windshield addition

double rubber grommet

main windshield

rubber grommet

fender washer

wingnut

The grommets are from BMW windshields and were shaped kind of like a cable spool: two wide flat parts on the outside with a thicker narrower part between, and a hole going through the whole thing. I cut the wider parts off and used them, discarding the middle spacer part. So where I use the term "grommet", it might be more accurate to say "thick rubber washer". I super glued as many of the parts together as possible to ease assembly and dissassembly. Where super glue didn't work (the plastic) I used foam mounting tape. There's a little excess foam mounting tape visible in the photo. It looks like it could be a crack starting. It's not.

hardware.jpg

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I have an '03 with the TULSA TALL shield that came with it when I bought it. I like the calm air that it affords, but it's hot in the summer with the lack of air flow, even with the vent open.
I also have a stock windshield that I bought from a forum member a while back. I like the look of the shorter shield, but I get a headache from all the buffeting, no matter where I adjusted the height to. I'm wondering about adding something like the laminar thingy to the stock shield. Do you think it would help? I could grab a hunk of LEXAN and give a try....would you have any dimensions for your part you made?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have an '03 with the TULSA TALL shield that came with it when I bought it. I like the calm air that it affords, but it's hot in the summer with the lack of air flow, even with the vent open.
I also have a stock windshield that I bought from a forum member a while back. I like the look of the shorter shield, but I get a headache from all the buffeting, no matter where I adjusted the height to. I'm wondering about adding something like the laminar thingy to the stock shield. Do you think it would help? I could grab a hunk of LEXAN and give a try....would you have any dimensions for your part you made?
I can't say for sure if adding what I did to a stock windshield would help, as the VStream is a little taller, and I think it's at a little different angle.

As to dimensions, I started with 8" cut from the top of my stock windshield. I didn't modify the width, other than to round the bottom outside corners. Of course that was 8" at the top middle. I just put a tape measure on the height, measured vertically at the mounting bolts, and got 7 1/4". The height at the middle is a little over 5" - 4" added height and a bit over an inch overlap.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I can't say for sure if adding what I did to a stock windshield would help, as the VStream is a little taller, and I think it's at a little different angle.

As to dimensions, I started with 8" cut from the top of my stock windshield. I didn't modify the width, other than to round the bottom outside corners. Of course that was 8" at the top middle. I just put a tape measure on the height, measured vertically at the mounting bolts, and got 7 1/4". The height at the middle is a little over 5" - 4" added height and a bit over an inch overlap.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Dave, you are the unreasonable man.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dave, you are the unreasonable man.
Why thank you! People have been telling me that all my life, but this is the first time it's been meant as a a compliment.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts