GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I do NOT recommend this modification for anyone unless they install an aftermarket TPMS. Although the Honda TPMS is inflexible, it does provide an important safety function and shouldn't be removed without a replacement system. Please modify responsibly. :thumbup:

With that said, I have installed the Dorian TPMS and will be running a "contraband" rear tire at pressures low enough to trigger the Honda TPMS pressure indicator. Instead of using black electrical tape to hide the indicator light, I've modified my bike with a TPMS Mod connector. The connector allows me to configure the Honda TPMS in the following ways:
  1. Operate normally
  2. Do not show any low pressure situations yet let me know if any TPMS error situations occur (eg., wheel sensor malfunction, low battery, receiver malfunction, etc).
  3. Do not show any TPMS malfunctions or low pressure situations.
I can also setup for other scenarios but the 3 above are the most reasonable modes.

This mod will allow you to run low air pressures without the TPMS pressure indicator illuminating. This mod will allow you to run rims without any TPMS sensors and not receive any TPMS indicator illuminations.

Follow the link to my Photobucket site for the step-by-step of how I accomplished this.

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/capozzir/2009%20Goldwing/Honda%20TPMS%20Mod/

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Excellent photo-essay.

Is there a reason that you decided to run the two tires to the connector boot instead of just bringing a ground wire to the faring panel and putting the jumper in that area?

·
Registered
568 Posts
This is not a thread-jacking, just a novice question. Is TPMS standard on all goldwings, if not, how would you know if you have it?:shrug:

I have read the manual but still not clear.

I have an 08 airbag.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent photo-essay.

Is there a reason that you decided to run the two tires to the connector boot instead of just bringing a ground wire to the faring panel and putting the jumper in that area?
I like to have as few taps directly into the Wing wiring harness as possible. I could easily get a good ground from the accessory port without taping into the wiring harness. You could certainly use a tap at the TPMS receiver for the ground though. Just a preference thing.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is not a thread-jacking, just a novice question. Is TPMS standard on all goldwings, if not, how would you know if you have it?:shrug:

I have an 08 airbag.

Thanks
TPMS is a standard feature on all Wings since the '09 model year. Your '08 does not have the Honda TPMS.

·
Registered
242 Posts

I have an 08 airbag.

Thanks
I bought my '08 Nav model in new in July 2009. I was told at the dealership the 2009 models came with the Honda TPMS & XM radio. Models since 2009 have continued to have both the TPMS & XM features.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. All GL1800s of model year '09 and later come with TPMS as OEM equipment.

I bought my '08 Nav model in new in July 2009. I was told at the dealership the 2009 models came with the Honda TPMS & XM radio. Models since 2009 have continued to have both the TPMS & XM features.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice Job! Going to do mine this next week. Just got the 3P connectors.

What gauge wire did you use?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice Job! Going to do mine this next week. Just got the 3P connectors.

What gauge wire did you use?

I don't recall the exact gauge wire. It was probably 18-20 gauge. The wires Honda uses are pretty thin. Good luck. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
What I did from a tip from another thread on this forum is with 09s and 10s with OEM TPMS you can register the sensors in reverse ( if you have the tool (Tirerack $120 shipped). What you do is reg the rear first and the computer thinks it's the front and then the front 2nd and the computer thinks it's the rear . So now you can run under 36psi in the CT because the front low presure threshold is at 31psi and the front is 36psi so your lights will work properly. I run 34 in rear and 38 in front and my lights work normal!:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes. That is a technique that I suggested quite awhile ago on the DS board. It doesn't really work if you run a RF with pressures below 33psi. I run at 31 and in the winter, or in the rain, that low pressure light would never go out as the pressure rise wouldn't make it to 34.

Oh and the first threshold is 10% below 36psi which is ~33psi. The 31psi threshold you refer to is ~20% which is the second threshold level. At 10% the low pressure indicator will flash. It goes solid at 20% drop.

By disabling the system, I don't have to mess with registering sensors when I use my spare rims. Besides, the OEM TPMS is so basic that it is just an annoyance (my opinion of course :cool: ). I got an aftermarket system that displays the pressures AND lets me set the alert pressures. :thumbup:

What I did from a tip from another thread on this forum is with 09s and 10s with OEM TPMS you can register the sensors in reverse ( if you have the tool (Tirerack $120 shipped). What you do is reg the rear first and the computer thinks it's the front and then the front 2nd and the computer thinks it's the rear . So now you can run under 36psi in the CT because the front low presure threshold is at 31psi and the front is 36psi so your lights will work properly. I run 34 in rear and 38 in front and my lights work normal!:thumbup:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mine is 2009. It has TPMS. Does not have XM radio.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine is 2009. It has TPMS. Does not have XM radio.
TPMS is standard on all '09-13 Wings. XM is available on the level 2 and higher packages. Hope you are enjoying your '09. :thumbup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks

Saw this thread last year. Need to do this mod so I can run my ct on the back. I have the aftermarket TPMS needed.

I bought a 2012 last year after I totalled the bike in my pic.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts