GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had Lasik surgery 10 days ago and so far it's Amazing...
I had a distance problem and now can see extreemly well.
Just wondering if any of you had vision correction and how you are doing?

This is where Eye went www.lasikplus.com

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Had Lasik almost 2 years ago and it was the best money I ever spent. I specifically had it done because I wanted to start riding again and did not want to hassle with glasses. I can see as good now as I could a month after the surgery. You will notice your nightime vision and "halos" will gradually get better over the next 6 months.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had Lasik several years ago (maybe 5 years). I was near blind (20:800) and had about 6 diopters of correction with no astigmatism. I asked my doctor not to short one eye, but set both eyes for distance vision.

The doctor started me on the optical steroid before the procedure (not typical). One of my flaps was bungled and took over a week to heal and reform the columnal cells typical of the surface of the cornea. He said he had a few cases do that where the drops were started before the Lasik procedure and he was going to stop asking patients to start the drops before the Lasik procedure.

The second mistake was that the area of the correction was not as big as my pupil gets at night, so I have bad star bursts at night when my pupil dialates larger than the area that was corrected. I am told this will get better with age because my pupil will loose range with age.

The third mistake was that I asked for both eyes to be set up for distance vision and to not give me mono vision. Mono vision is where one eye is shorted about 1 diopter to help with reading. Well, I think the doctor thought I did not know what I really wanted, so one of my eyes happens to be shorted 1 diopter. The problem is that he shorted my dominant eye. He did not notice that I am left handed, I wear my watch on my right wrist, and I am left eye dominant. This is a PITA most of the time including shooting hand guns.

I am legal to drive without glasses, and water skiing and snow skiing are great without glasses. I did alot a research and asked lots of questions before hand, but was rather disappointed in my outcome. If I had it to do over again, I would try to find a doctor that did the pre-op, the procedure, and the post op work. My regular doc did the pre-op and post op, but another doc did the Lasik procedure. I even paid about $1000 more ($4k) than the cheaper guys around to make sure it was done right.
My best corrected vision is not as good as it used to be, but without any corrective lenses, my vision is much better of course.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Mine lasted about 5 years. It has since dwindled and is back to what I was wearing before the surgery. I sure was happy for the 5 years though!

Shadow1
Hal

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I had mine 7 years ago.. My allergies caused me to have dry eyes ever since, but I can still see 20/20 (at least a distance....) The doctor said he couldn't cure getting old... :( But I only need glasses for reading, so I'm happy..

·
Registered
20 Posts
WOW, funny to see this topic as I've been recently considering getting my eyes done. Reason is that I'm about due for a new prescription for my glasses and it might be a good time to get the eyes lasered instead.

My biggest concern is the halos I've heard about. I do a considerable amount of night driving (snow plow supervisor for contractor to the State, most snow comes overnight) and some night riding too. How much of a thing are these halos and do they ever completely go away.

I'm turning 51 in Feb. my prescription glasses (distance & reading "progressives") have a very mild prescription but newsprint and such is very tough without the glasses.

·
Registered
713 Posts
13 years ago, I had the "old" RK (radial karatotomy) sp? where they cut your cornea free hand with a special scalpel after stamping a pattern on it. The guy nailed my perscription though and I've had 20/20 ever since. Had worn glasses for almost 40 years prior. As someone else said - best money I ever spent :D First thing I did was go out and buy 4 different pairs of REAL (cool) sunglasses. Threw all my clip-ons in the trash :D :D

Halo's. I had them for the first few months (at night) and then they greadually went away.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
November 2005 I had corrective laser surgery. I was far sighted and a very strong astigmatism in my left eye from surgery on my left eye ball in 1978.

On feb 2nd I go in for a touch up under warranty on my left eye. My eye surgery came with a 2 year warranty/ correction . They did not hit the sweet spot for correction on the astigmatism.

I had my surgery primarily for riding / driving. With my tri-focal glasses on when I looked to the left I would be outside the range of my eye glass correction or looking behind the lense. As you kids know the traffic from the left side is the closest to you. I had to turn my head/helmet sharply to the left to get a good view of the oncoming traffic

Now my complaints;

I experience painful dry eyes. This was explained to me before surgery as a possibility. I am one of those folks that never have any negative reaction to meds or procedures.... so I figured I had it made.

I must keep a bottle of liquid tears in my pocket 24-7 and use it regularly. Naturally this goofs up my vision for a few minutes after each application.

Next; the quality of light I am in effects my close up vision. In natural sun light I can read the small print of a news paper or magazine. In artificial light I must have on a 2.0 lens to read the same size print. Fluorescent lights are the worst on my vision. Doctors comments are : "That is interesting"

I am happy with the vision results , yet in the morning when you wake up with sore & dry eyes after sleeping all night with your eyes closed it sorta bums you out.

8)

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
At 51 im finally considered a candidate after having several years with no perscription change. I hate wearing glasses, hate it with a passion. I also hate the fact I know too many people with issues with their outcome. I know its a small (tiny) percentage but why do I have to meet so many.

So I continue to debate if I want to have it done or not. If I do I think I will go with one eye mono. When I wear my contacts (duo focal contacts) I tend to just wear one and perfer it over glasses.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Question? Did you have both eyes done on the same day.If you did what would happen if the surgey didn't goes as planned.I would love to have it done.Just a little nervous.It would be nice to wake up in the morning and not have to reach for the glasses first thing or go swimming and be able to see.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had Lasik about 7-8 yrs ago. Initally just had one eye done so my far vision would be corrected and use the uncorrected eye for near vision. This didn't work for me (my vision was bad to start with, like about 20/300), so I had the other eye done. Neatest thing since sliced bread. I could read the time on the clock on the wall in the room when getting out of the chair immediately after the procedure (it would have been just a blur prior to the surgery without glasses). I've had no problems with halos or dry vision after the procedure(s). My near vision is not as good as it was after the Lasik - I now use nonprescription reading glasses on occasion to read fine print, but this could be expected with a 58 yr old man. The Lasik procedure has shown great improvement/refinement since I had it done, but there are always risks associated with it, to include blindness. Then again, there are risks with everthing that we do in life.

Ed W.

·
Registered
137 Posts
STEALTH CRUISER said:
It would be nice to wake up in the morning and not have to reach for the glasses first thing or go swimming and be able to see.
I would like the same thing. Ever fall asleep with your glasses on and knock them off in your sleep? Had that happen in bed a few weeks ago, and the only way to find them was to flick the comforter and listen for them to hit the floor to get a general idea where to find them. I am really starting to consider getting the Lasik done soon.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
STEALTH CRUISER said:
Question? Did you have both eyes done on the same day.If you did what would happen if the surgey didn't goes as planned.I would love to have it done.Just a little nervous.It would be nice to wake up in the morning and not have to reach for the glasses first thing or go swimming and be able to see.
I had both eyes done the same day at age 51..... a tuesday, wed was a mandatory eye doctor visit, thursday I was at work.

I operate machines , grinding , cutting stuff. I wear bi-focal safety glasses I bought off the internet

My doctor visits after surgery were 1 day , 1 week 1 month , 3 months , 6 months , 1 year.

:D

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I am glad to see this thread. Hope it stays up front a while. Joseph, good luck on yours.

I have had astigmatism for years and worn glasses 25 years.

(Disclaimer: If astigmatism is not spelled correctly, it is Tony's fault.) :lol:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Add me as another satisfied customer with lasik. I had both my eyes done 5 years ago and have minor haloing. I work at night (driving) and it's not a problem. I wore glasses for 20 years and was 20/2000 (legally blind). I'm now 20/15 and can't believe the difference. My recommendations are to not go with the cheapest price and talk to people who actually had the procedure done by the doctor you're interested in.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just going back for my one year checkup after Lasik.
Biggest bonus for me has been the almost total relief from eye strain headaches. I never realized how often I would either have a low grade headache or full blown psuedo-migraine. I can't remember the last time I had a headache, well I did hit the booze in Mexico over Christmas but at least there was a good reason for the headache.
Had both eyes done at the same time, left eye had the most correction and it has regressed somewhat but from where it started it is much improved. I will see if an enhancement can be done.
I use drops occasionally and find using a couple of different drops or a wash such as Optrex works better than using the same drops all the time.
I'd do it again without reservation.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Tony in AZ said:
Next; the quality of light I am in effects my close up vision. In natural sun light I can read the small print of a news paper or magazine. In artificial light I must have on a 2.0 lens to read the same size print. Fluorescent lights are the worst on my vision. Doctors comments are : "That is interesting"
Out in the world, you get what you get.
But at home, you have some options.

For your reading lights, get some "expensive" ones that say something like "sunlight color temp" or something with a rating of 5,000 degrees (it's the color temp not the heat)

For the kitchen (or other places with fluorescent tubes - the shop?) you can replace them with the Sylvania (or any one's really) Sunlight tubes rated at 5,000 degrees or a CRI rating of 90 or more (Lowes or Home Depot)
I have those and they really make a difference for reading the small print.

Dennis

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had cataract surgury may 06 on left eye, the right will be done this year.
less than ten minutes, no pain, and only reading glasses. Life is good! 8)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Eyes

Question...................Would it also work for someone that has more of a problem with things up close?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts