GL1800Riders Forums banner

How long will Honda build current GL1800 model?

• 8 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 years

• 10 years

• 11 years

• 12 years

• 13 years

• 14 years or more

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how long Honda has built the Goldwings of each model.

1975-1979 - GL1000 - 5 years
1980-1983 - GL1100 - 4 years
1984-1987 - GL1200 - 4 years
1988-2000 - GL1500 - 13 years
2001-2007 - GL1800 - 7 years so far

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I said 10 years, I think Honda will have something new for us in 2010.

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
Biker John said:
I said 10 years, I think Honda will have something new for us in 2010.
That would me my guess as well.

Keep an eye on BMW, cause that is usually the mark Honda aims for. When BMW makes a big improvement to the KLT or updates it, expect Honda to follow shortly after. Both the KLT and Wing received upgrades in the last couple of years, so I would expect it to be at least four more before they replace either model.

However, if Kawasaki ever brings back the Voyager, things could speed up.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
This is kind of like guessing when will the economy get better. When will Dunlop go back to work, When will Bulldog become handsome, get thinner etc...>LOL

All supposition and guess work, that can not be tied to any fact or known event.

Some will wait to get a new bike, waiting for a new model. And wait they shall.

I think that for a long time to come, we will be stuck with this model, with certain evolutions such as the 06 model and now the 07 model.

Bulldog

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I say this every model year change so I'll say it again.

There are few things that Honda could get better than what they already have. That's why I think the current model will be in production at least 14 years.

What I would have found interesting, would be how many would have preferred the GL1500 styling continued with newer technology and the 1800 drive train.

The current model is a great bike and more than I had expected except for the excessive wind on the rider coming from around the fairing.

I still would like to see a side stand on the right. I have found myself in several parking situation where I wish I had a right side stand.

W

·
0 Posts
Bulldog said:
When will Bulldog become handsome, get thinner etc...>LOL

Bulldog
For the riders that never met you, your safe for the time being.............LOL

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I think the next big change Honda will make to the wing, not next year, is

1. Automatic, as in the four wheeler line up. As a option.

2. Honda will start offering Trikes, Harley has jump on the band wagon with a deal worked with Leman, Honda won't let HD get all the trike traffic in the turn key trike business, or they shouldn't....

3. Some type of aux music, as a built in XM, or MP3....

I don't See a engine increase anytime soon, why???, maybe six speed trans but I think the automatic would come out first..

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Fred H. said:
[quote="Biker John":3n222inr]I said 10 years, I think Honda will have something new for us in 2010.
That would me my guess as well.[/quote:3n222inr]
I said 10 years too. But that means something new in 2011. :wink:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
William Anzik said:
[quote="Fred H.":1vfpi5d4][quote="Biker John":1vfpi5d4]I said 10 years, I think Honda will have something new for us in 2010.
That would me my guess as well.[/quote:1vfpi5d4]
I said 10 years too. But that means something new in 2011. :wink:[/quote:1vfpi5d4]

Better refigure it, 2000 to 2009 is ten years. 2011 will be the 11th year.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Biker John said:
[quote="William Anzik":12lw6oo1][quote="Fred H.":12lw6oo1][quote="Biker John":12lw6oo1]I said 10 years, I think Honda will have something new for us in 2010.
That would me my guess as well.[/quote:12lw6oo1]
I said 10 years too. But that means something new in 2011. :wink:[/quote:12lw6oo1]
Better refigure it, 2000 to 2009 is ten years. 2011 will be the 11th year.[/quote:12lw6oo1]True that - if there were any 2000 model year 1800s... :wink:

Ten years: 2001 through 2010. The new model will be in 2011. That's my prediction. 8)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
There were substantial changes in 2006 and I don't see Honda doing that while anticipating a model change shortly thereafter. In terms of vehicle design and manufacture, I'd think five years would be about the minimum run for any design so I don't expect the end of the GL1800a moment short of the 2011 model year. There could well be another five years in it after that. Look how long the GL1500 ran.

For me, there's really no need for any more displacement. An overdirve might be nice but I'm not dying without it. Adding more music options isn't anything I can't do myself. I'd like a larger rider compartment but don't see that happening regardless.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
There were substantial changes in 2006 and I don't see Honda doing that while anticipating a model change shortly thereafter. In terms of vehicle design and manufacture, I'd think five years would be about the minimum run for any design so I don't expect the end of the GL1800a moment short of the 2011 model year. There could well be another five years in it after that. Look how long the GL1500 ran.

For me, there's really no need for any more displacement. An overdirve might be nice but I'm not dying without it. Adding more music options isn't anything I can't do myself. I'd like a larger rider compartment but don't see that happening regardless.
I have to disagree with you Gary. The changes for 06 were incremental not that substantial (dash change, GPS, Stereo amp/speakers, rear lighting and trunk minor reshaping). There were several changes made to the GL1500 during its 13 year run, these were similar in scope. The biggest change to the GL1800 is the availaiblity of the airbag which has been in development for nearly 20 years by Honda.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Kikker said:
I say this every model year change so I'll say it again.

There are few things that Honda could get better than what they already have. That's why I think the current model will be in production at least 14 years.

What I would have found interesting, would be how many would have preferred the GL1500 styling continued with newer technology and the 1800 drive train.

The current model is a great bike and more than I had expected except for the excessive wind on the rider coming from around the fairing.

I still would like to see a side stand on the right. I have found myself in several parking situation where I wish I had a right side stand.
It took me a bit to get used to the GL1800s styling. But now the styling of the GL1500 looks very dated to me. I much prefer the GL1800. Styling is a very subjective area that will be something we will all have our likes and dislikes.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
There is only one driver of this thinking; when does Honda feel this model will no longer turn a profit?

You are right to look at the competition, but they don't always follow each other. If I'm not mistaken the K1200LT came out about 3 years before the GL1800. In the end it's all about the $$$ and Honda is still selling plenty.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
What I would have found interesting, would be how many would have preferred the GL1500 styling continued with newer technology and the 1800 drive train
The GL1800 IS a continuation of the GL1500 styling, just updated. The 1500 was getting pretty crusty looking and dated.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I don't know the answer, but I wish there were more competition because as good as the Goldwing is in many ways, they have really dropped the ball in other ways.

The suspension sucks. I am constantly amazed at how crude the ride is - my FJR rides better (and handles better - so please don't tell me the Goldwing ride has to be harsh to handle as well as it does. Triaxxion has proved this as well).

The bike has more "shakes" and rattles than any motorcycle I have every owned.

It should not take all day (or a small fortune) to change the air filter.

The saddle bags and trunk doors are notoriously cantankerous and prone to not working.

Why does it have CB controls for a CB it doesn't even have?

Why do I have to buy $4,000 worth of options to get ABS? (standard on the BMW).

Why is the windshield still not power adjustable? If not mistaken, every touring and sport touring bike with a "full" windshield/fairing is now electric except the Goldwing and Harleys.

I don't mean to trash the bike - I enjoy riding it. But I think Honda took the attitude that they would not spend any money on incremental upgrades. Almost all of the '06 "changes" were additions that were extra cost options.

Look at how often the sportbikes are getting upgraded - like every two or three years now. Honda needs some competition to give the same attention to detail to the Goldwing.

·
Registered
19,244 Posts
A side stand on the right? Go against every modern bike design?That would not be smart.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Until the '08 model is produced?

Sorry, but I couldn't resist the temptation, to be a smart a$$.

Why wouldn't Honda continue to follow previous manufacturing timetables? They repeatedly produce auto models for the same number of years.

It's very interesting to observe Honda implement excellent innovative technology, but also, be very inflexible, regarding certain issues.

For example: I own an '04 Honda CR-V. There is a folding PICNIC table, in a recess, below the rear floor - yet, the spare tire is mounted on the EXTERIOR rear door.
If there's enough space for a picnic table (which I seriously doubt will EVER be used by the majority of owners); then, why not put the spare tire in the 'picnic table' well?? The '07 model (a different syle), now, has a concealed spare tire. Just, one of those frustrating little, apparently illogical annoyances.
I realize that the spare tire is obviously, considerably thicker than the picnic table, but I imagine the tire fit, into the well should not be too difficult to engineer?

We have similar questions about 'why this', or 'why not that', on 'wings.

I digress.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As stated above.

They will continue until they stop selling enough product because the market share is going to another company.

It is all about the money.

I also agree with the many things Honda needs to improve on.

Standard ABS, Electric Windshield, Luggage that opens when you need it to open.

The BMW K1200LT did a better job in those areas but they won't fix the unique problems of their machine like...

Falls off center stand, Falls off side stand, Smokes when you use the side stand, Very expensive for routine maintenance, Snotty dealership experience.

I can live with the GL1800 above the K1200LT "which is the only real competition", but it does seem like if they cared about more than just money they would resolve the issues at hand and not wait until we start buying some other companies machines before they really address their short comings.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts