GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 55K on my 2002 with the original battery, has anyone had a battery go bad in an 1800? Should I get a new one now?
I don't have a volt meter on the bike but it is working fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replace mine every three years as I have had a battery fail w/o warning

Have you had an 1800 battery fail?

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
johnocooper said:
I replace mine every three years as I have had a battery fail w/o warning.
ditto

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
2002, 61,000 miles, still on 1st battery but it is getting weak. I can tell by the way it cranks and from the voltage on my voltmeter after starting. I have had times after starting that it takes a few seconds for the volts to come back up enough to turn the headlights on.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have you had an 1800 battery fail?
Mine original battery failed three weeks after delivery. Parked, and two
days later no joy.

Warranty item, no problem...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
My early 2001 still has the original battery and it has plenty of pep. I think that the key is to never let it go dead or near dead.

·
Vendor
18,400 Posts
My '04 has 50k and still has the OE battery. It's been my experiance that if your able to recongnize the suttle signs of a battery going bad, most will tell you that they are going bad. The problem is that I always want to try for more life. About 3 mths ago, I noticed at idle that my headlights dims when the break lights come on. This was all of the sudden noticable and know my battery is getting weak enough that it's not able to carry the load at idle when the alternator is not charging as it did when it was newer.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
It has been my experience with all my motorcycle batteries, that they all last right up to the moment that they fail. :lol:

On a more serious note.... so much depends on how the battery was initially charged when put into service, how it was treated while in service, has it been severely discharged, etc. etc. I replace my battery every 3 1/2 yrs. just as a precaution. I ride solo and do alot of trips and don't want any surprises. This has worked well for me for the last 350,000 miles of riding.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've had two Gold Wing OE batteries fail suddenly, both times luckily in the garage when trying to start.

The first was after three years in a 1999 1500 and the second after four years in a 2002 1800. After the 2002 battery failed, I bought a battery tester. The 1800 showed good voltage (~12-13) but would not start the bike. I took it to the dealer and they did a load test and it failed. I can now do the load test at home.

Both batteries were kept on a Battery Tender whenever the bike was parked. I do not know if the dealer charged them before delivery or not.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went and bought a new battery today, thanks for the input everyone :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
I replaced mine the first time this year (2002). I considered all the other technologies for batteries, and then figured I would be extremely happy if I got identical service out of my next battery as I did out of the OEM battery. The OEM battery had no leaks, no maintenance, no issues of any kind for 4 years. I replaced with the same OEM battery. By the way, it was working perfectly when I replaced it. I figured why push it for maybe 1 more year of service.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I replaced my '02 this June it was strong as ever but we were going to wing ding and I had just bought a trailer with lots of lights I do keep
all my toys on Battery Tender. 5or 6 years not unusual my experence.
john

·
Registered
296 Posts
My '04 GL1800, purchased used by me last year, with just 4100 miles on it. The OE battery failed this Spring ('06). I imagine that the bike sat quite a bit while in the stable of the previous owner. It doesn't sit much since I have owned it. During the winter months, I keep it connected to a Battery Tender when garaged, because I never know how soon I'm gonna get to ride again. During the 'riding season' I don't bother with it, because I'm on it several times a week at least.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
HAVE AN 01 WITH 73K+.STILL ORIGINAL
**** :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
****, I also have a Yellow 2001. Got 52K miles. Same OEM battery.
Just passed 5.5 years!
It's got to be the color of the bike that makes the differance.

Yellow recharges in the sun light!!!!

Realy, I hear riders in the Northern areas with shorter riding seasons, Have had their batteries die on them more often that daily riders in the South.

My buddy in the South, has a 1500 & has been replacing batteries at leats once a year if not sooner. He only rides on an average one day a month. I have been on three long rides (4k miles) & he replaced the battery before each trip.

These two situations Plus reading other battery tech info leads me to believe for your battery sake, Ride to Live!

Myself, I ride every day. 24-7-365. Just 4 miles to work, but it's ride'n!
I also noticed the volt meter takes about 2-3 seconds before the charging systems kicks in. But that's been doing that the day I installed the meter three years ago. Love my meter!

DangerousDan

·
Registered
2021 DCT-Black
63 Posts
My 2002 is still on the original battery at 20K. I've used a Battery Tender religiously since first purchased. I'm going to keep using it.

Pat

·
Registered
161 Posts
Still have the original in my 02, with just about 50,000 miles. It is never parked for more than 2 or 3 days at a time, and it is run at least 25 or 30 miles every time it is started. I purchased a new one from Hal, last year when they were on sale. It is still dry, and sealed, I am guessing that until I fill, and charge it, it should be good til I need it. The original still test very good, as soon as it shows the first indication of starting to go, I will fill, and correctly charge the new one. In 49 or 50 years of riding, I have never got 3 years, and this original battery in my 02 GL1800 is going on 5. These new batteries must be a lot better than the old ones.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts