GL1800Riders Forums banner

How long has your OEM battery lasted?

• I have never needed to replace my battery.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I replaced my battery as preventitive maintenace. (Not due to failure)

• Replaced my 2001 OEM Battery due to battery failure.

• Replaced my 2002 OEM Battery due to battery failure.

• Replaced my 2003 OEM Battery due to battery failure.

• Replaced my 2004 OEM Battery due to battery failure.

• Replaced my 2005 OEM Battery due to battery failure.

• Replaced my 2006 OEM Battery due to battery failure.

• Replaced my 2007 OEM Battery due to battery failure.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I'm trying to learn is what the general real world experience of GL1800 owners has been with the OEM AGM battery.

I'm leaning toward the belief that they last a lot longer than past motorcycling experience would dictate.

I may be a little jaded living in Southern California, I get to ride nearly 365 days a year, that in itself will make a big difference in battery life.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Shivers: ...... I have a 2002 1800 that I bought new in March of 2002.
I have just over 63,000 miles on it and it still has the same battery that came in it. We ride all year round here in NW Louisiana. The battery is still as hot as the day I drove it home from dealer, and that's over 4 and a half years. But I know I'm living on borrowed time. I plan to replace it soon with the same type & brand battery that came in it. I know I could get a replacement battery cheaper, but I've always figured if something lasts and works great, then go back with the same thing. The Motorcraft battery in my F150 pickup lasted over 6 years, so I replaced it with the same new battery. The Delco in a Buick I once had lasted less than 3 years. Ride Safe, Stobby.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I'm kind of hard on batteries with all the tinkering and playing done on my bike, so I replaced it as a PM item last winter. I had fully discharged it a couple of times, so I wanted to be safe.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
5/04, 2004,62,000 original.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Mine is an '02, purchased new off the showroom floor in June of '03. The bike now has 40,500 miles on it. I don't get to ride year round and don't have a trickle charger for it. I do ride until there is snow on the ground :lol:

Paul H.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
pshivers said:
What I'm trying to learn is what the general real world experience of GL1800 owners has been with the OEM AGM battery.
It appears this poll will tell us how many folks have changed batteries in the various years. Was that the experience you were seeking?

I guess I would like to understand how long those batteries lasted. Might be able to get an average life expectancy from a poll such as that. YOMD

BTW, 38,000 smiles and the original battery, in-service 10/05/04.

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
What is this AGM claim? Unsless things have changed or I am wrong, again, the battery in our GL1800 is NOT AGM. Its a pretty much Ho-Hum semit maintaince free wet cell battery. My VTX has the same battery. BOth are OE and still going and going; but neither is AGM technology.

prs

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I learned to change batteries every three years. I had several batteries do the "sudden death" thing on other bikes, and it seems to happen at the worst time, like 11 P.M. in a rainstorm 50 miles from nowhere.

·
Registered
872 Posts
LAW said:
Yellow 2001 bought used in late 2001, 40k miles original battery.

LAW
Just about the same storey here, only the colour is different, and purchsed in May, '01.

OEM battery will be on the Tender again this winter.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My 2002 is still kicking. It has never been connected to a charger of any type since it left the dealership. 4 years and 7 months so far. I may have to put a trickle charger on it this weekend until I get over this knee surgery.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My 02 OEM battery was still going strong, but I decided to replace it this year for preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wanderer said:
pshivers said:
It appears this poll will tell us how many folks have changed batteries in the various years. Was that the experience you were seeking?

I guess I would like to understand how long those batteries lasted. Might be able to get an average life expectancy from a poll such as that. YOMD

BTW, 38,000 smiles and the original battery, in-service 10/05/04.
So where were you when I asked for advice on wording the poll in the most effective manner yesterday :?: :wink:

·
Registered
179 Posts
03, orange ,purchaced used Oct 18th 05 9400 miles now has 24,000 i ride 365 days a year to work .Original battery ! :D

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
02 bought new in 7/02, yom 9/01, 48,000 miles, some riding in the winter on good days. Had to put a charger on it once. Have a new battery waiting on the shelf, just in case. May change it before next riding season.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Results shown here would tend to indicate the 1800 has what I refer to as a "soft" charging system. Well designed with quality components = happy battery.

Bradford

1 - 20 of 43 Posts