• 45 minutes and I need a break.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never less than an hour.

• I'm good for 1.5 hours easy.

• Geez, you babies, I go 2 hours easy.

• Me, I ride till I hit Empty--at LEAST 2.5 hours!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My muscles don't work right, so I need to stop about every 45 minutes or my skin feels like it is burning. I know this isn't normal, but how abnormal am I?

Please take the poll, then if you don't mind, tell why you have to stop and what you do to ride longer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
When I am alone, I ride until I need fuel. When the wife is with me, we stop more often depending on her needs.

·
Administrator
3,611 Posts
I agree with MOH58. I ride from tank to tank if by myself, and then I long for a larger tank when I have to stop.

Find your limiting factor and corrct that, then see what is the new limiting factor and correct that. For me, I found that a Butler Mug for hydration and Mick-O-Pegs to allow me to move around and stretch pretty well eliminated most physical needs. I'm working on installing an auxillary fuel tank to prolong my fuel range, and then the limiting factor will be my bladder size. I understand solutions are available for that too.

Glen

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I ride tank to tank when alone but stop every 150 miles or so when the wife is with me. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to travel. Just what suits YOU.

·
Registered
19,102 Posts
I take a break on each FILLUP

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
One up only stop for gas

Two up well you know how that is

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Tank to tank. Heck, that is 220 miles or 2.2 hours...LOL

Breaks are fill up, walk around, have a drink and get back in the saddle no longer than 15 minutes.

I see so many folks killing their day on breaks, break times etc.

I like to leave at day break or just before. Ride my butt off and get into the hotel by 5 - 6 PM. From a point A - B ride, need to make time.

Sightseeing, I can fart around with the best of them!

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I can usually ride tank to tank, however, if I feel myself getting sleepy, even if in the middle of the day, I get off as soon as possible to take a power nap (10 -15 minutes). Caught myself actually falling asleep at 75 mph and nearly running off the road, it scared the bejeezes out of me.

·
Registered
657 Posts
we ride till we see some thing we want to look at could be 5 miles or when we need gas or when my but gets sore

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
When I am alone, I ride until I need fuel. When the wife is with me, we stop more often depending on her needs.
Yep, pretty much all said here.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Hydration was mentioned and I will 2nd that. When you are not hydrated it will tax other parts of your body and you will feel it. Another thing I recommend is stretching before long hauls - especially if you are a fatass like me. Stretch your back, shoulders, arms, calves and quads... it does help quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Usually and hour or so, sometimes longer and I am ready for break. I don't ride to see how many miles I can put down or for bragging rights on "look how far I rode today". It's for enjoyment for me and I enjoy it more when I stop, see and experience, whats around me and not push for miles or distance. Usually don't really have a destination so it doesn't matter when I "get there".

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
On our "around the USA" trips, my buddy and I ride until we need gas. (200 miles or so) After gassing up we take a short break to stretch, visit the mens room (never pass up the opportunity to go pee) and buy another bottle of water. If our backs are sore (because our trips are the first ride we do each Spring) we pop Tylenol and Advil.
Our lunch stop is about 45 minutes.
We usually average 500+ miles a day.
A back rest (that I adjust forward and back as I ride) and hi-way pegs let me move about in the saddle.
Staying well hydrated even when it is cold makes a big difference.
When I am traveling with the wife behind me it is an entirely different story.
The breaks are more frequent and a bit longer. 500 miles with her on board is a very long day.

·
Chard Member
12,992 Posts
Depends on weather and my attitude that day! Some times travelling I can go tank to tank. Other times I find myself stopping once or twice between fill ups. No real pattern for me! :?

·
Registered
369 Posts
My muscles don't work right, so I need to stop about every 45 minutes or my skin feels like it is burning. I know this isn't normal, but how abnormal am I?

Please take the poll, then if you don't mind, tell why you have to stop and what you do to ride longer.

Thanks.
CruiseControl,
If physicality you can only ride for 45 mins. before having to stop, then that's your comfort zone. We all have our comfort zones
weather they pertain to our riding skills or like you, their physical condition. I for one am glad you can get out there and ride, even
for short distances at a time. With that said, depending on our destination and time frame we will stop every 50/75 miles or sooner,
mostly because we want to take in the sights, does not matter how many times we have been in the same area, we just like to stop
and smell the roses, so the saying goes.. Now if we are on a cross country trip, then its usually 130/175 depending on weather on
not we have our Bunkhouse camper in tow. We take potty breaks as needed and most of those times I just get gas as well. That's
when we take a longer break, maybe 20 mins.. One more item, we drink a lot of water when we are on rides, especially when we are
traveling across country. Hope this answers your question, at least from my point of view..

Ride Safe and enjoy your time in the saddle,

Semper Fi,
Joe W.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Usually and hour or so, sometimes longer and I am ready for break. I don't ride to see how many miles I can put down or for bragging rights on "look how far I rode today". It's for enjoyment for me and I enjoy it more when I stop, see and experience, whats around me and not push for miles or distance. Usually don't really have a destination so it doesn't matter when I "get there".
:agree:

·
Registered
608 Posts
We usually are ready for a break off the bike after about 100 miles or an hour and a half or so--so I'll gas up every other stop. We usually plan about a 450-500 mile day starting out to get out of the flatlands but drop the pace back once we get to more interesting or populated terrain. In the mountains a 250-300-mile day is plenty with lots of stops to rubberneck and take pictures. As was mentioned we try to down a bottle of water at every stop as it does make a tremendous difference. The proper riding gear makes a big difference as well--we're going to try some cooling vests this summer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Agree. I can and have rode all day. If not having to fuel I could go all day. Could as having the ability, but.....I found that its nice to slow down and take in the beautiful scenery and for wife and I it's a lot more enjoyable than the go go go of riding.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts