GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am hoping to ride to Alaska in May or June 2009 but have not yet applied for a passport. :oops: How long should I expect it to take to receive a passport once I have submitted the requisite paperwork?

Sure hope I have not erred in waiting until now as I really would like to do the trip in my 71st year. :roll:
Todd

·
Registered
569 Posts
Time varies according to demand. Shouldn't take more than 2 weeks, but they can tell you when you apply. Unless you are going through Canada, you don't need a passport to go to Alaska, its one of the 50 states of the union ya know;)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
My first thought while reading your headline was, "leaving so soon?"

·
Registered
509 Posts
Am hoping to ride to Alaska in May or June 2009 but have not yet applied for a passport. :oops: How long should I expect it to take to receive a passport once I have submitted the requisite paperwork?

Sure hope I have not erred in waiting until now as I really would like to do the trip in my 71st year. :roll:
Todd

I applied for mine in eraly December and had it within 10 days. I was surprised. I would still apply now just in case they hit a snag.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Time varies according to demand. Shouldn't take more than 2 weeks, but they can tell you when you apply. Unless you are going through Canada, you don't need a passport to go to Alaska, its one of the 50 states of the union ya know;)
If we are to assume he's going to ride a motorcycle to Alaska and not ship it on a boat or an airplane, do you know of a route that doesn't go through Canada? Just curious.

·
Registered
569 Posts
If we are to assume he's going to ride a motorcycle to Alaska and not ship it on a boat or an airplane, do you know of a route that doesn't go through Canada? Just curious.
Never ass um e.

·
Registered
602 Posts
2-3 weeks here, last Fall.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Got wife's passport book (there is a passport card) the same day. You have to prove that your trip is less than 14 days and go to the State Department by appointment AND have a LOT of mullah - same day rush passport was $160.00.

Living north of Philly made it easy - PA has only 2 passport agencies (State Department). One in Philly and the other in Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, thanks for the good replies and encouragement. If I get my arse in gear pretty quickly, I should have the passport in plenty of time.

BTY, I did notice the "wink" in nataaska's post about not needing the passport if not riding through Canada. Thanks for the humor. :cool::lol::lol:

Todd

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
You may want to make sure you have the proper birth certificate.
I had to have the real one sent to me from the county I was born in.
What I had was an non certified one made out by the doctor at birth.
Was not born in a hospital.

Good Luck

·
Registered
872 Posts
If you are crossing at a land crossing, then it is not yet madatory to have a passport. But I do believe there is a date some time this year where it will be mandatory to have a passport to get into the US through all customs entry points.
I think it's in June or July.

Last year I made a number of crossings into Washington & Idaho without a passport. It was pretty simple.

·
Registered
869 Posts
you can bypass canada by ways of
pacific ocean ...:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBXMan
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Quote: harvey2duke
you can bypass canada by ways of
pacific ocean ...:popcorn:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Put down the popcorn and read.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
869 Posts
if i remember right, passports can be bought with regular delivery or express delivery, it all depends on how much u wanna pay.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
You may want to make sure you have the proper birth certificate.
I had to have the real one sent to me from the county I was born in.
What I had was an non certified one made out by the doctor at birth.
Was not born in a hospital.

Good Luck
Correct...My birth certificate was rejected when I applied. It was a duplicate my Mom got for me in 1964 that was needed for me to enlist in the Navy. I've used it about 3-4 times since then (including signing up for Soc. Sec. Retirement Benefits) without any problems. It had the official raised seal, date of birth, where I was born and it was signed by the Registrar where it was issued. They told me that it was a "short version" and wouldn't accept it. I am waiting for a duplicate copy of my original birth certificate. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts