GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how long it takes others to get comfortable with new tires. I just got some new stones yesterday and could really feel the poor grip they had to start out. By the time I got home 30 miles later I sensed a big improvement. Not sure I want to get aggressive in the corners just yet but it was sure noticeable from the time I left the dealer to the time I got home. Whats your experiences?

·
Registered
297 Posts
warm em up

I started scuffing them in right away! Just a little at a time but I wanted to be able to ride it like I stole it as soon as possible..:thumbup:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was always told to go easy for the 1st 100 miles on new tires, making sure to take turns carefully.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Just wondering how long it takes others to get comfortable with new tires. I just got some new stones yesterday and could really feel the poor grip they had to start out. By the time I got home 30 miles later I sensed a big improvement. Not sure I want to get aggressive in the corners just yet but it was sure noticeable from the time I left the dealer to the time I got home. Whats your experiences?
I give Stones about 100 miles or so before doing doing any aggressive cornering.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I use sandpaper (50 or 60 grit) to take the glaze off of new tires. I don't bother with the center - just the areas that get used in the twisties. Normal riding will take the glaze off the center soon enough.
In answer to your question, since straight line miles don't take the glaze off the areas that contact the road in the corners, I don't think there is a magic number of miles for "break-in".
Ron Fuller

·
Registered
535 Posts
All new tires take about 100 miles to scuff off the mold release.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I soak a rag in gas and wipe them down, takes the film off.
OK Flame Suite on Fire at Will!

·
Registered
556 Posts
carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner and your good to go.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
the 100 mile rule is a joke,if you never lean over for 100 miles and then lean way over your gonna be on your butt,lol

tires can be clean in less than 5 miles if done right
lean a little nore each time,can be done in a parking lot!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, I got new Stones in the afternoon at wingding. Rode back to the parking lot then to the hotel. Took some nice roads to the dragon the next day and rode fairly aggresively the first pass, then kicked it up a notch after that. Never even thought about the tires so obviously they did a great job.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Logically, it seems like the new part of the tire has to touch down some time or other and when it does, that's when the new goes away. Unless you are one who washes them off with something.

Personally, I just ride. Never have had the wing in conditions where the newness of the tire resulted in a slide. Even though pegs, lowers and crash bar are all well broken in.

·
Registered
327 Posts
the 100 mile rule is a joke,if you never lean over for 100 miles and then lean way over your gonna be on your butt,lol

I strongly agree with you Rick, 5 miles is plenty :agree:

·
Registered
528 Posts

+1

I'm generally riding it normally by the time I get home from getting them installed.

·
Registered
570 Posts

After I install the new skin(s), I use a slow speed left lean - right lean for about 2 - 3 miles and then finish with a progressive faster speeds. 5 miles you should be good to go. The rougher the road texture the better.

·
Registered
818 Posts
From the Bridgestone website:

BREAK-IN PERIOD

In order for your new tire(s) to provide optimum performance, tires should be ridden very cautiously for the first 100 miles in order for the tread surface to be “Scuffed-In” and work properly. Directly after new tires are mounted, sudden acceleration, maximum braking and hard cornering must be avoided. This will allow the rider to adjust to the “Feel” and handling characteristics of the new tire and for the new tire to be “Scuffed-In” correctly in order to achieve optimum grip level.

http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/additionalinformation.aspx

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone. As usual many varied opinions and methods. Appreciate your time sharing what you do and why.

·
Registered
958 Posts
A few circles to the left, a few circles to the right, then off I go.

·
Registered
153 Posts
New Shoes

Howdy - When my wife bought our bike, (a 08 ) She got the dealer to put new tires and a new battery on in, as part of the deal. As we were waiting, while the work was being done. I got the chance to talk with a Honda rep., who was there in the shop at the time. It was this rep's opinion, that you should get 200 miles on new tries before doing anything to aggressive. Now I don't always do what others suggest, however, by the time we got done talking he had earned my respect, of his opinions..It worked for me....Best Wishes Mike Dory

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Maybe the proposed and recommended cautionary period with new tires is as much for the rider as it is for the tires; allowing the rider to become accustomed to the characteristics of the tires is important, especially when switching brands and types of tires.

For my current set of Elite III's, I found them (and me) to be broken in within twenty miles or so, then started riding somewhat more aggressively.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts