GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Compared to my Burgman, the Wing seems cold blooded.

How long should I wait for the motor to get up to operating temperature?

Or, put another way, what temperature on the dash gage should I see before riding off?

Just waiting a minute or two leaves my riding a limping, bucking bronko for about 2 miles.

Suggestions?

UPDATE AND SOLUTION

After reading the great responses on this thread, I realized my bike was NOT behaving normally. I took it back to the dealership for warranty service. The head mechanic checked into it and said this is a "known issue" by Honda.

The solution is a hard reset and reboot on the shop computer. Then the first time the bike is started (at the dealership), it must be allowed to warm up for 15 minutes, until the engine is completely warmed up at idle and the fans come on--a full fifteen minutes! The bike is then shut off and should be good to go after that. My dealership did this, checked it, kept the bike an extra day to double check after letting the bike sit over night. I picked up my Wing the next day and it ran like a Gold Wing is SUPPOSED to run! I started it up and took it for a delightful ride down a winding country road. No hesitation, stalling or stumbling. At least for me, this was the fix.

If your new Wing starts but stumbles when you first ride it, discuss the problem with your dealerships. It is not supposed to run like that. Good luck. Report back with you results.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I let mine warm up until the Temperature guage reaches it's normal postion.
Doesn't take long after you have been riding for awaile and turn it off for lunch and jump back on.
My understanding is that it takes awhile for the systems to run up and function correctly. Works for me.. I can always fiddle diddle with something and remember that I have forgotten something in the house. It needs to come off high idle.

David

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Compared to my Burgman, the Wing seems cold blooded. How long should I wait for the motor to get up to operating temperature?
CruiseControl,

You did not say what model of Goldwing you are riding. Even though you are on the GL1800 Riders forum, perhaps you aren't riding a GL1800.

If you are on a GL1800 and you have a warm-up/cold idle issue then you have a problem. GL1800s are fuel injected, not carbureted, so they have no choke. The ECM keeps the engine running at the proper RPM during warm up automatically. Just start it up and ride off. Don't rev the heck out of the engine for the first few minutes until the temp gauge starts to move up, and you'll be just fine. (No real need to just sit and let it idle unless its below freeezing outside and the engine is stone cold.) In fact, an engine will warm up more quickly if actually driven gently for the first few minutes of operation.

Now, if you have a GL1500, GL1200, GL1100, etc., those are all carbureted and use a choke. They are notoriously cold-blooded. My GL1200 takes about 5 minutes of riding before I can fully shut off the choke.

Put your bike and other info in your profile or signature so folks know what you're riding.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ride a 2012 GL1800 and I certainly can't start up and ride off like I could on my FI Burgman. Hmmm. Problem?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I haven't had any trouble warming my wing up. I usually wait until it idles down I'm good to go.

·
Registered
581 Posts
warm up

never had a problem with warm up. I usually just let it run a minute or two on first start up of the day. after that just start up and ride. Never noticed it running rough after start up. Mine is an 03

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
My dealer said start it and when the temp needle moves ride it. I've done that since I got it and it has 50k on it and never a problem.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Usually i warm it up until the needle on the temp gauge is on the 2 or 3rd mark this happens while i am putting on my riding gear on :thumbup:

·
Registered
494 Posts
warm-up

start it up and ride away,unless it's below 50f. 2007G.W. When it is cold outside I'll start it, gear up and then go.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Warm up? Are we in the 1950's with chokes on the carbeurator?

Start engine, put on helmet, hook up headsets, get on motorcycle, put on gloves, ride away

No problems doing this.

·
Registered
239 Posts
K another thing worry about. Get on your girl. Turn the key go I've done it for 2years in all kinds of weather from 20 to 70 just got it will warm up fast enough then you can worry about how come the fan comes on too much

·
Registered
67 Posts
Great question

Finally, someone else asked the question that has been most bothering me.
I too have a 2012 and this is my 5th goldwing.
I have never before had to let it warm up--but I sure do with this one.
The second I engage the clutch--ever so slowly...it wants to stall.
I have to rev the engine to compensate.
I have NEVER had to do this on any prior wings.
I have always loved that about Goldwings--just turn it on and drive off.
It has been bothersome enough to make me wonder if I shouldn't have bought a bike made in the first years of production in Japan.
Any mechanics have any explanations?

Ps. For what it is worth. It actually tends to do it anytime I start it. Even if it has been ridden 30 minutes prior and parked for such a short time it hasn't been able to cool down--it is still hesitant initially.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
We were told at Oak Ridge National Lab to only allow engines to warm until the oil pressure settled. Since we can't see that on the GL1800, I start it, close the garage door, get on, adjust my helmet visor, and ride off. When leaving work I start it when I put the key in, open the saddlebag to put my backpack in, open the trunk and put my helmet and gloves on, close it up, mount, and ride off.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
As long as it takes to let out the clutch . . .
Come on! These aren't Model T engines. They're Japanese engines for God's sake.

If my 103,000 mile, 2002 Wing has a problem with a cold start, it's time for new plugs! Then the problem goes away!

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I have the shown circuit installed which keeps the lo beams off until I get oil pressure. So, starting sequence unlike above posts is helmet on, fiddle with whatever, turn on key and hit starter. R...R..Vroom - headlights come on instantly which means oil pressure is good so I put it in gear and down the driveway. Only time I ever pause to warm up is if there's traffic and I have to wait to exit the driveway.

Sometimes I'm suited, straddled, kickstand up and I push in the start button THEN turn the key and go. Maybe 2 seconds.

2012s run rough cold? FI engines should not do that. Period.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.