GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced my air filters about every 30K miles and never did they look bad and I always wondered if it was really necessary to change filters that often. I have an 06 ChrysLer 300 hemi, probably a 5 or 5.7 liter engine and pulled the air filter on it at 65K miles and it didnt look that bad either. Now all internal combustion engines are essentially air pumps and the 5000 cc hemi pumps a lot more air than an 1800 cc engine { I am very well aware that the hemi revs a lot slower}, but I am sure that in 65K miles the 5000cc hemi pumped more air than my 1800 would have. My point is that changing the filter on the 1800 at 30k miles is a waste.
Has anyone ever done any accurate air flow measurements comparing brand new versus used air filters that had somewhere around 20k to 30K or even more miles on them?
Andy

·
Registered
396 Posts
Now u know there's too many depends.

Riding along side the Interstate right of way weed mowers all this summer, I get a dirty filter within 1,000 miles. Other times, just out if the good ole clean open air, I can go over 50,000 miles.

....louie

·
Registered
234 Posts
I change my own oil every 4K and take it to the dealer every 12K. They routinely change the air filter then...

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I changed mine at about 25K. Mine wasn't dirty. Could easily see daylight through every part of it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Filters and warranty

I agree riding in normal conditions on the black top filters stay pretty clean for long time, but..............should you ever need some sort of engine warranty work done the first words out of the stealers dirty mouth is, where are your receipts for filter (air/oil) changes...........I know been there.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I was all worried living in the dust bowl up here in Colorado at waiting till 25K miles. Mine was not even dirty.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Honda says every 12k.
Yeah, but as always that is worse case. I actually kept the original paper air cleaner for a GS1000 Suzuki for 10 years. About every 6 months or so I would blow it out with an air hose and put it back on the bike. The inside of the filter still looked like new when I sold the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts