GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a close call daily is sometimes more of the norm than the exception, but how many idjits can there be in a short 30 mile ride for crying out loud.

On my way home from work on a four lane highway (2 ea way) I come up on the usual encounter of the pace car in the fast lane. You know the jerk that goes along 5 under the speed limit in the fast lane, one hand across the passenger seat and the other scratching his webbles.. I stayed behind him and changed from the left side to the right side of the fast lane a couple of times so he would know that I was there. Not that I wanted him to pull over but I wanted him to know I was there before I passed him in the slow lane so he would be aware of my presence.. So after a couple of Min's and about 5-6 car lengths behind him I moved over into the slow lane and sped up as I prefer to get on around. Doing about 80 and as soon as I got just even with his rear door he jerks it over into my lane. As always I was watching him like a salivating hound dog staring at a rump roast so I gave it the old heave ho and jumped over to the outside fog line while hitting the gas. Anyways it was extremely close.

Now 10 Min's later I am running down a two lane highway when a car pulls out to pass 2 others coming at me. I have a habit of using throttle and some pretty wild moves to avoid jerks and jerketts, but all I could do was emergency brake and hope I scrubbed off enough speed to put it in the ditch without yelling for mam-ma. I don't know but I guess we was about 4 car lengths apart and at the exact same time I started to ditch the bitch (no shoulder) that he got back into his lane almost taking off the front bumper of the last car he was passing. That car was braking or else he would have never made in back in. Thank you sir.

OK so that's two of them. Bet I can make it home safe now is what I thought at that time. Well no more than 2 miles down the road at 70 mph another one jumps out into my lane heading straight at me. This time there is absolutely no way possible he could make it. The kicker to this one was that it was a motorcycle. No time to hit the brakes or anything except jerk it over to the very right hand edge of the road. He passed by me in my lane doing at least the same 70mph I was doing. This is a narrow lane with no shoulders. I wonder if we would have hit head on at the equivalent of 140 mph if we would have joined inner souls?

About this time I decided that I would simple pull over and puke, but knowing I was only about 15 min's from home I figured what the hell this is getting interesting. Plus green bile leaves a very nasty after taste in ur mouth.

WEll I did get to enjoy the last few miles in a nice peaceful ride until I got into town and some dude that was sitting at a intersection to the left of me with his head inhaled up into his anus decided to let the cars in front of me all go by and then happily kill me. Bright lights on and riding the center line so he would see me did not help at all. Watching his front wheels turn and and start moving I knew it was coming. Actually his front wheels did not just move they lurched forward as he jumped out there. Again what saved me was not using the brakes but rather a 3rd gear neck straining throttle twist and a quick swerve to the right and I cleared his front end by mere inches. Thank you bridgestones:thumbup: Ever scrape pegs on a flat road while cracking the throttle. Hey it's actualy pretty cool.

Ok I know I am a sick puppy but that was a very entertaining ride home. I never got bored at all.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Ron

Glad you came out OK!!

This kind of thing used to happen to me all the time until I put the Kisan Headlight Modulators on. They do make the difference!! I have them on all my bikes except a VTX1300 I bought last Monday and not had time to install one yet. Yep, I went into town to fuel it Tuesday evening and I had a woman pull out RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME ----Feet! I was traveling slow enough I was able to come to a complete stop!

I consider Modulators and BIG Horns my best friend!!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep they are idiots.

I brake to allow the passing car room to come back in all the time, and run the service truck over to the right side, ready to run the ditch if need be.

I see them do it all the time. Hard to comprehend the stupidity of it, but they do it quite often.

As for the guy on the motorcycle, glad you all did not meet inner souls, but he will.

They ride in traffic like they are invincible. I see them do that daily. Then on the news it says, motorcycle crash, or whatever. I do not give it a second thought.
They want to act this way, I do not cry for them.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
That sounds about what I go through if I decide to hop on the bike to go get some milk.

All I can say is God likes crazy people.He sure as hell makes a lot of them! :eek:4:

·
Administrator
4,785 Posts
Excellent post. And you, sir, are a very gifted writer. I realize what you were going through could have had very serious consquences, but couldn't help but chuckle at the excellent way you described it. Glad you made it through. Bravo, sir. :clap2:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
OK so that's two of them. Bet I can make it home safe now is what I thought at that time. Well no more than 2 miles down the road at 70 mph another one jumps out into my lane heading straight at me. This time there is absolutely no way possible he could make it. The kicker to this one was that it was a motorcycle. No time to hit the brakes or anything except jerk it over to the very right hand edge of the road. He passed by me in my lane doing at least the same 70mph I was doing. This is a narrow lane with no shoulders. I wonder if we would have hit head on at the equivalent of 140 mph if we would have joined inner souls?

Food for thought................

·
Registered
510 Posts
I don't know how many times I've been told that when someone pulls some stupid stunt driving they must be a California transplant. Must be true since all this took place there.

Only kidding as my one and only experience riding a motorcycle in that state was incredibaly safer than when I hit the Oregon line. I make mistakes at times admittedly, but some people seem to just screw up constantly. It must have something to do with a higher level of ownership of the roadways. Glad you survived the guanlet and made it home OK and better yet with a sense of humor. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Ron

Glad you came out OK!!

This kind of thing used to happen to me all the time until I put the Kisan Headlight Modulators on. They do make the difference!! I have them on all my bikes except a VTX1300 I bought last Monday and not had time to install one yet. Yep, I went into town to fuel it Tuesday evening and I had a woman pull out RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME ----Feet! I was traveling slow enough I was able to come to a complete stop!

I consider Modulators and BIG Horns my best friend!!!!:thumbup:
I'm not a fan of modulators, but maybe some safe aspect to them.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hey Ron:
is there any possibility that your head light is not working and that these people are having a harder time then normal seeing you?
Just a thought, thats a lot of close calls in that short of distance.

·
Love The DCT
12,154 Posts
Having a close call daily is sometimes more of the norm than the exception, but how many idjits can there be in a short 30 mile ride for crying out loud.

On my way home from work on a four lane highway (2 ea way) I come up on the usual encounter of the pace car in the fast lane. You know the jerk that goes along 5 under the speed limit in the fast lane, one hand across the passenger seat and the other scratching his webbles.. I stayed behind him and changed from the left side to the right side of the fast lane a couple of times so he would know that I was there. Not that I wanted him to pull over but I wanted him to know I was there before I passed him in the slow lane so he would be aware of my presence.. So after a couple of Min's and about 5-6 car lengths behind him I moved over into the slow lane and sped up as I prefer to get on around. Doing about 80 and as soon as I got just even with his rear door he jerks it over into my lane. As always I was watching him like a salivating hound dog staring at a rump roast so I gave it the old heave ho and jumped over to the outside fog line while hitting the gas. Anyways it was extremely close.

Now 10 Min's later I am running down a two lane highway when a car pulls out to pass 2 others coming at me. I have a habit of using throttle and some pretty wild moves to avoid jerks and jerketts, but all I could do was emergency brake and hope I scrubbed off enough speed to put it in the ditch without yelling for mam-ma. I don't know but I guess we was about 4 car lengths apart and at the exact same time I started to ditch the bitch (no shoulder) that he got back into his lane almost taking off the front bumper of the last car he was passing. That car was braking or else he would have never made in back in. Thank you sir.

About this time I decided that I would simple pull over and puke, but knowing I was only about 15 min's from home I figured what the hell this is getting interesting. Plus green bile leaves a very nasty after taste in ur mouth.

WEll I did get to enjoy the last few miles in a nice peaceful ride until I got into town and some dude that was sitting at a intersection to the left of me with his head inhaled up into his anus decided to let the cars in front of me all go by and then happily kill me. Bright lights on and riding the center line so he would see me did not help at all. Watching his front wheels turn and and start moving I knew it was coming. Actually his front wheels did not just move they lurched forward as he jumped out there. Again what saved me was not using the brakes but rather a 3rd gear neck straining throttle twist and a quick swerve to the right and I cleared his front end by mere inches. Thank you bridgestones:thumbup: Ever scrape pegs on a flat road while cracking the throttle. Hey it's actualy pretty cool.

Ok I know I am a sick puppy but that was a very entertaining ride home. I never got bored at all.
Amazing isn't it? I had 3 in a 20 mile stretch about two weeks ago. First one, I slow down and stop for a red light. I hear screeching tires behind me so I move over to the right. Pickup behind me slides to a stop just behind and to my left. He then runs the red light. Go figure. :shrug:

Second time, gal pulls out in front of me from a side street after making a "rolling" stop. Was watching her all the time, she never looked my way.

Third time, less than a mile from home was just like your last incident minus a few cars. Guy in a pickup to my left stops for the stop sign. No cars in front of me. He waits till I'm in the middle of the intersection then decides to cross the intersection. Same as you, in third gear, gas it, manage to get out of the way by jumping the curb. He just misses my rear end. He stops, said I didn't see ya, but "I saw orange." I said yea, the orange you saw was my blaze orange safety vest I'm wearing. The curb jump necessitated front tire and wheel bearing replacement. :x :doorag:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent post. And you, sir, are a very gifted writer. I realize what you were going through could have had very serious consquences, but couldn't help but chuckle at the excellent way you described it. Glad you made it through. Bravo, sir. :clap2:
Thanks. I try to just learn from these things, and laugh them off at the same time, and keep on going. Otherwise I would never throw my leg across a saddle again.

Food for thought................
I'm on a diet:joke:.
Seriously, point well taken so no argument there, but it's just one of those roads. Admittedly 70 was a little fast. Most everyone travels it at 60-70, but then you have plenty of poke alongs mixed in. Long and straight road. The ones doing the unsafe passing are at fault. The ones that are going so slow that they irritate other drivers into passing is the cause. I'm sure all of us has been on those type roadways. Going to fast is not wise, but going to slow gets you ran over from behind or forces others to wildly pass due to their irritations.. Most the unsafe passes are done by those that are trying to pass a string of vehicles.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Amazing isn't it? I had 3 in a 20 mile stretch about two weeks ago.
Yes it is. Most days around here I can go along with no incidents at all, and then all of a sudden they attack like fleas on a dog.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'm using headlight modulator, fog lights, hi-viz jacket and helmet on a motorcycle the size of a large sofa...
I still expect people to say, "I didn't see him."
Because they aren't looking.:evil:

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Hey Ron....I see you didn't listen to me when I told you to take that damn jacket off that had a bulls-eye on it. ;)
Was your first encounter out on Hwy. 152. I also travel it quite often and their are some real morons out there. As the comedian Ron White says....You just can't fix stupid. Hopefully your mini vacation next month will give you an attitude adjustment. I thoroughly enjoyed your writeup. Now I know it's not just me that these things happen too. A couple of months ago a young Asian gal almost hit me as we were going through Los Banos. After I got back into my lane I started to get up along side her car when I noticed that she had an open book laid across the steering wheel and was reading it. Things got a little ugly at the next red light.:eek:4: I could almost picture the headline in the Los Banos newspaper. Outlaw biker goes ballistic and picks on poor little ole college student who was just trying to study for her finals!

·
Registered
100 Posts
disambiguation, "meaning is where you make it"

"Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events, that are apparently causally unrelated or unlikely to occur together by chance, that are observed to occur together in a meaningful manner. The concept of synchronicity was first described by Swiss psychologist Carl Gustav Jung in the 1920s.[1][citation needed]
The concept does not question, or compete with, the notion of causality. Instead, it maintains that just as events may be grouped by cause, they may also be grouped by their meaning. Since meaning is a complex mental construction, subject to conscious and unconscious influence, not every correlation in the grouping of events by meaning needs to have an explanation in terms of cause and effect."

I hope this helps splan it *********** :joke::lol:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think the craziness on the highways is a result of some government conspiracy.............maybe something psychotic or even psychedelic is being added to our public water supply. Could it be the drug bust confiscations from the 60's and 70's are being disposed of this way? In the 18 wheeler I have had more close calls in the last 36 months than I've had in the previous 36 years. People are just inattentive, suicidal, kamikaze-like, pre-occupied or just plain stupid when operating a motor vehicle. Seems there are examples of that in and on all types of vehicles, and I hate to say it, even with some of the 18 wheeler drivers too. :wrong: Maybe I should use a dash cam to record the examples and sell it........maybe have a lot more time to ride the 'Wing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
392 Posts
It's getting worse. Some people are down right criminal in traffic. No regards for safety and other people. I don't care if they only endangered themselves.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Ron:
is there any possibility that your head light is not working and that these people are having a harder time then normal seeing you?
Just a thought, thats a lot of close calls in that short of distance.
Yes they were working including my running lights. There is always someone that will not see you no matter what.
How you doing John. I hope everything is ok.

Hey Ron....I see you didn't listen to me when I told you to take that damn jacket off that had a bulls-eye on it. ;)
Was your first encounter out on Hwy. 152. I also travel it quite often and their are some real morons out there. As the comedian Ron White says....You just can't fix stupid. Hopefully your mini vacation next month will give you an attitude adjustment. I thoroughly enjoyed your writeup. Now I know it's not just me that these things happen too. A couple of months ago a young Asian gal almost hit me as we were going through Los Banos. After I got back into my lane I started to get up along side her car when I noticed that she had an open book laid across the steering wheel and was reading it. Things got a little ugly at the next red light.:eek:4: I could almost picture the headline in the Los Banos newspaper. Outlaw biker goes ballistic and picks on poor little ole college student who was just trying to study for her finals!
Yes it was Hwy 152.
Wow that little gal does not have one lick of common sense.
As far as the ballistic outlaw biker. 2 weeks ago here in Los Banos there was 2 Mongols shot and killed. So after that there was a lot of them in town. I seriously dont think she wants to run over one of them while reading. It may be the last book she ever reads.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.