GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Added to the already long list of reasons why I'll never visit (spend money) in that lovely state.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Then you will be missing some great people and great riding. NYC is a very small area within New York State. Get 50 miles north of the city and it is a totally different situation. Try Americade , The Adirondacks, Catskills, or Finger Lakes.....really some outstanding roads and riding. Just avoid NYC.

·
Registered
314 Posts
What a sad situation for NYC motorcyclists and no doubt anger too. Here in Vancouver, B.C. Canada the city has embraced motorcycles and their riders by providing motorcycle only parking on the street, with many being free. If you park your motorcycle in a normal parking spot you get it at 50% of the regular rate of a car. I have to say, on the flip side, we don't seem to have some of the same problems with unlawful activities of idiot riders as it is indicated in this story. The only direct issue we have in Vancouver is loud pipes, but that's an issue in every major city in the world. I personally would love to ride in New York State, however maybe I'll think twice about riding into NYC, sad!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have to wonder...... are they really creating issues for law abiding motorcyclists? Or are they using the law to remove dirt bikes, ATV's, and other "motorcycles" creating ill will? Personally, I'd like to see them confiscating bikes (illegally used on the streets) and crushing them to get them off the streets.

So, I ask, anyone know anyone that has been affected?

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong here: BUT I honestly believe there NOT speaking about every biker.... I'm sure that if your riding your (QUIET) Goldwing down the streets in NY at a speed limit, NOT bobbing in between vehicles, and at the 40-80 year old age area they will not pull you over..... I think there speaking about the young, wild crazy age (I know we've all been there) 13- 25 yrs that are riding UNregistered motorcycle, OR the Loud Harley's with LOUD pipes (that bother others)....[and I do have to admit that those loud pipes actually piss me off "big time" also] These kids are bobbing in between vehicle, with those dirt bikes, no helmets, and causing havoc ..........That's who there speaking about!

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
So basically it's a "Stop and Frisk" policy for Motorcyclists?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stop and frisk is a good analogy.
Doesn't matter what you are riding. I have been stopped in a Mcy only checkpoint on my Goldwing and had to endure the same checks as the guys on the Harleys with loud pipes.

At Americade, in Honesdale and on Long Island.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I wasn't aware. Even though the 9 page article is pretty one-sided it sure does raise some legal issues. Seems like a case of the bad apples spoiling it for the rest of the crowd. When I see the videos of the outlaw packs of riders thumbing their collective noses at LEO, endangering other street users, and just generally being anarchists, it makes me angry and wish something could be done about it. Guess this is what is getting done in one jurisdiction. Glad I don't ride there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts