GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wondered that question for a long time. I never thought it a subject that would be best left private. Mainly what I was wondering is, how many have a bell on their Wings, how long have you had it and how many Wings have you had the same bell on? I just know this one will instigate some wild responses.

I'll start off by saying, the bell I currently have on my '06 Wing mean nothing more than the friendship and camaraderie I share with other and the close friend that gave me my bell 3 Goldwings ago. He was killed by a semi-truck that changed lane at the wrong time and gave my friend no where to go.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I can live without, but I did go to the dealership where I traded my VTX for the GW and took my bell back with me. More because someone off the VTX board sent it to me and it was personalized.

I am still shaking my head wondering how I did the almost 1000 miles without one though....:eek:4:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My daughter gave me a bell last year and I put it on the wing. Detailed the wing a couple of weeks ago and noticed the bell was gone.....oh well must not need a bell :doorag:. If another bell shows up, I will put it on the wing...if not then no bell on the wing.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Well, I personally don't care much for bells but I did lose the green silicone shamrock (Bailey's Irish Cream advertisement) that I use as a motorcycle key fob. The first thing that went through my mind was O crap, there goes my luck. It had been a key fob on all my bikes for at least the last twenty years. Fortunately I found it about a half hour later. The link that held it to my key had broken and it was laying on the floor next to my wing. Now with an improved link my luck has returned.

Walt

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I've got one on mine, can't hurt.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Have a bell on all my bikes except the most recent addition to the stable. It will get one soon, when I get one given to me for it, because; as everyone knows, it has twice the power if given from someone who cares about you.

I like the "tradition" and that is reason enough.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
When it is a gift it doubles the power. If it is in a wreck retire it. If It were me I would retire my bell that your passed on friend gave you. It will mean a lot either way, just wouldn't take the chance of losing such a special gift. I carry my bells forward with me as long as nothing bad happened while under its care.

The Legend of the Ride Bell

Many years ago, on a cold December night, a crusty old biker was returning from a trip to Mexico with his saddlebags filled with toys and other assorted trinkets for the kids at a group home near where he worked.

As he rode along that night thinking how lucky he had been in life, having a loving riding partner that understood his need to roam the highways and to his trusty old pan that hadn't let him down once in the many years they had shared the road together.

Well, about 40 miles north of the border, in the high desert, lurked a small group of notorious little critters known as road gremlins. You know, the ones who always leave little obstacles like, one shoe, boards, and pieces of old tires on the road, and also dig those dreaded potholes for bikers to run over and crash, thus giving the road gremlins a chance to rejoice over their acts of evil.

Well, as the lone wolf of a biker rounded a curve that moonlit night, the gremlins ambushed him, causing him to crash to the asphalt and skid before coming to a stop next to one of his saddlebags that had broken free. As he lay there, unable to move, the road gremlins made their way towards him. Well, this biker, not being one to give up, started throwing things at the gremlins as they approached him. Finally, with nothing else to throw but a bell, he started ringing it in hopes to scare off the dirty little gremlins.

about a half a mile away, camped in the desert, were two bikers sitting around the campfire talking about their day's ride, and the freedom of the wind blowing in their faces as they rode across this vast country. In the stillness of the night air they heard what sounded to them like church bells ringing, and upon investigating, found the old biker lying along the roadside with the gremlins about to get him. Needless to say, being part of the biker brotherhood, they preceded to ward off the gremlins until the last ran off into the night.

Being grateful to the two bikers, the old road dog offered to pay them for their help, but as all true bikers do, they refused to accept any type of payment from him. Not being one to let a good deed go unnoticed, the old biker cut two pieces of leather from his saddle bags tassels and tied a bell to each one. He then placed them on each of the biker's motorcycles, as near to the ground as possible. The tired, old road warrior then told the two travelers that with those bells placed on their bikes, they would be protected from the road gremlins and that if ever in trouble, just ring the bell and a fellow biker will come to their aid.

So, whenever you see a biker with a bell, you know that he has been blessed with the most important thing in life -- friendship from a fellow biker.

The Purpose of the Ride Bell

Many of us have heard the story about Evil Road Spirits. They are little gremlins that live on your bike. They love to ride, and they're also responsible for most of your bike's problems. Sometimes your turn signals refuse to work; your battery goes dead, the clutch needs adjustment, or any of several hundred things that can go wrong. These problems are caused by Evil Road Spirits.

Evil Road Spirits can't live in the presence of the bell, because they get trapped in the hollow of the bell. Among other things, their hearing is supersensitive, so the constant ringing of the bell and the confined space drives them insane. They lose their grip and eventually fall to the roadway. Have you ever wondered how potholes are formed? The bell has served its purpose.

So, if you have a friend who doesn't have a bell, why not give them one? It's a nice feeling for the recipient to know you care. The bell, plus a good preventive maintenance program by the bikes owner, will help eliminate Evil Road Spirits.
Polishing the Bell

It has been a tradition among some of us for a long time to attach a brass bell to our left swingarm, to remember our brothers and sisters who have gone down riding.

It's a small thing, but the reason a brass bell is chosen is that, as we ride, it gets dirty and tarnished. Every time we get down to wash and polish it, we are reminded of friends lost, and our thoughts turn to the meaning of being in the wind.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My wife gave me a bell 2 yrs ago at Billings Montana. It now hangs from my left footpeg and I have been asked often to explain the bell and story behind it. Gotta know she cares for me - not worried, just love. :cool:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Bell

My wife gave me mine, hangs on the front axle bolt. My grand daughter who lives about 175 miles away looks for it every time I see her.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I was given a bell about 9 months ago. Been driving back and forth to and from Dallas (almost 50 miles one way) to work for over a year before that. Still doing it. I can use all the luck I can get. Still haven't put it on the bike yet! :shrug:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bell

My youngest son provided my first bell - it wore through the hanger and just left the metal ring. I replaced it with a liberty bell and provided him and his broter with one also - I like the tradition.

·
Registered
248 Posts
A very close friend and riding buddy took a bike trip to Colorado with 3 others last July. They decided to take a day off of the bikes and go white water rafting. While on the river all the people were thrown from the raft and it happened to land on my friend, pinned him under water and he drowned. At his funeral his widow passed out gremlin bells to everyone. The bell I received rides on my wing, and any other bike I may have in the future, not just to dispell gremlins but in remembrance of my lost friend.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I have one, and get one for all my riing buds.....couldn't hurt...:shrug:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Bells

Jesus supercedes any bell I (or any Christain) would need. :) When you have the power of the universe at your fingertips a man made bell (trinket, talisman, rabbits foot etc) can't hold a candle...

Kinda reminds me of a Hindu temple I went to (when I was studying various religions). When the folks come in to pray to one of their idols they would ring a bell placed in the center to wake up the gods so they would be able to listen.:nojoke:

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
No bells have ever been on any of my bikes, & none never will. Sorry kikker to hear of your friend's accident. Maybe he should have had the bell, instead of you. I believe the Titanic had a bell, didn't it?:shrug:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I always give my Harley riding finds bells so that they will have something to listen to while pushing....funny thing is they don't see the humor in it.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
not at all

1 - 20 of 33 Posts