GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
curious how many owners of 2012 and up wings are going with suspension upgrades like Traxxion or progressive and how many are content with stock suspension. I have an 05 with the Traxxion full Monty and love it and am curious if the new models have improved at all, am considering a 2015 if changes in the 40th anniversary bike justify doing so?

·
Banned
792 Posts
I have not experienced a bike with upgraded suspension but I have no complaints with my stock suspension. It does seem a bit harsh at times so when the time and mileage ad up I will most likely upgrade then. Until then, I ride it.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I upgrade to the Progressive monotubes, tapered bearings, and Rocky lower tree. The improvement was amazing! The 2012 suspension is better than prior years, but I wanted better, so I upgraded. I might get a stiffer rear spring in the future, but for now I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I do not have a lot of miles in on my 2013, about 1700. But so far I see no reason to upgrade the suspension. I came to the GL1800 from an ST1100 that had upgrades when I bought it. And at this time I am very happy with the handling of the Wing. That said ..... I never scraped a peg on the 1100 and I doubt I ever will on the Wing. I bought the wing for comfort and ridability as a tourer. If I wanted a sport bike I would have bought one. This past weekend we took a ride 2-up through some mountain twisties. Never got close to dragging a peg. The father in law on his Kawasaki cruiser said he drug 3 times and I was slowing down to keep him in sight in the mirrors. The wife and I are not little. Together we go about 420lbs. I set the suspension at 22 and have no problems.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I spent about $2,700 on my 2007 suspension and swore I would never do it again. I now live with the harsh 2012 stock suspension.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've put 13K miles on my 2012 in 8 months. The ride is superior to the Gen 1's. I had to do mods to my 04 to get the bike to ride comfortably and handle like I wanted. This one, I don't have any issues with. I don't have the wobble some complain about and so I have no reason to modify the suspension. As it gets some age on it, this opinion might change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have resolved to quit fiddling around with my bikes and to simply enjoy the ride! So............quite content to do just that on my 2013 and have no complaints.

T.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My 2013 F6B was perfect so I felt no need to upgrade it. When I got my 2014 wing I had the same problems many complain about, harsh ride, a little wobble, etc. I'm going with progressive springs in mine. Dealer should be installing next week for me. I thought about the progressive full cartridge setup but I think the springs will do the trick. Everything else about it is great just this firm ride is annoying it's like someone is typing out morse code with the front end it never settles down and just floats like my 13 did.

Honestly Honda's suspension quality has really gone to crap some are good, some are bad and some are just plain aweful. I bought a VFR this weekend for a play bike and the front end and ride was awful I was so disappointed because I've had 2 prior VFR's that were fantastic. Ended up trading it back in 2 days and picked up a CB1000R to play with, soooooo much better lol.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I did the mono tubes with one shim,disabled the anti dive and the Kury three piece fork brace on my 12 and I'm totally happy.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
2012 no change, my 2008 with new 2012-13 rear shock installed....excellent!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I spent about $2,700 on my 2007 suspension and swore I would never do it again. I now live with the harsh 2012 stock suspension.
Sounds like a new video is needed ;)
PMTs, New Fork seals, RTT, All Balls.

Rick

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The suspension on my 2012 wasn't bad, but a little harsh.

I had them install a Progressive front end, a fork brace, all balls bearings and had the anti dive disabled.

I liked the results. No harshness on small surface irregularities and a more solid feel.

·
Registered
401 Posts
mods

Low speed handling sucked from day 1. That led to the fork brace and tapered bearings. Decel wobble cured with those mods and 41lbs in front. But the low speed issues are still there, just not as significant. Bike is apart for the Rocky Tree mod right now.

High speed issues are also annoying. Looking at Trax but I am cheap so probably monotubes... But the trax shock seem to be without an cheaper alternative...

...gene

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bought my 2012 gl 1800 after owning 2 Harleys. Needless to say I am satisfied withe the ride and handling of the wing.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hmmm Everyone seems to be going progessive mono tubes, I may have to alter my order and get some of those instead of just springs.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Stock suspension at 10,000 miles with the exception of a Superbrace that I installed at about 6,000 or 7,000 miles. No decel wobble, no tire cupping, ever. All seems OK. The Superbrace seemed to make the steering a bit sharper. The steering wasn't a problem before installing the brace, and frankly the change is minimal, but it's nice and I'd do it again.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts