GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, guess I should indicate that I mean just short rides down the street Not long distance. This ‘new to me’ 2019 dct tour airbag is a sweet ride, found that out while riding on the I-4 interstate in florida. I do though wonder just how ‘smooth’ it is taking bumps compared, say, a bmws r1250rt.

Though have to say she does have some weight to her, a bit of a hand full at walking speed. Guess such is life...many of us would like specific bikes for diffferent wants. Besides, i do have a pretend ‘dct’ aprilia mana 850gt i can take off the rolling dolly for a short lite weight ride now and again. My 2012 honda nc700x i will need to get to my brother’s place out of state.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have a Trek and a Crevelo. They both work great for rides up to about 60 miles. :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well, guess I should indicate that I mean just short rides down the street Not long distance. This ‘new to me’ 2019 dct tour airbag is a sweet ride, found that out while riding on the I-4 interstate in florida. I do though wonder just how ‘smooth’ it is taking bumps compared, say, a bmws r1250rt.

Though have to say she does have some weight to her, a bit of a hand full at walking speed. Guess such is life...many of us would like specific bikes for diffferent wants. Besides, i do have a pretend ‘dct’ aprilia mana 850gt i can take off the rolling dolly for a short lite weight ride now and again. My 2012 honda nc700x i will need to get to my brother’s place out of state.
I no longer have a second (or third) bike, but will simply comment on your wondering how the BMW 1250RT's suspension compares to the GOLD WING DCT Tour.

First, the R1250RT's suspension is identical to the R1200RT LC's suspension. I owned a '14 R1200RT from new til I bought the '19 DCT Tour. Also, I am a BMW Fanboy. Loved, loved, loved that RT. Best suspension of any bike I've owned in forty years of riding.

I road tested the R1250RT on the same day, back-to-back with the DCT Tour on a very rough piece of 4-lane, divided highway, with at a real world riding speed of 120 kph. The RT was set on one rider, no luggage in Road mode, the Wing was set on one rider, no luggage in Tour mode. The RT had a (very) slight 'floaty' feel over the bumpy surface, while the Wing's suspension felt more controlled and not floaty, I'd say with better rebound damping.

The Wing's superior suspension (and impressive DCT transmission) are the two factors that convinced me to buy the Wing. Having said that, I'd own the R1250RT in a heartbeat, and be happy.

Tim

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a 2016 Harley Road Glide Ultra, but I'll be putting that in the ads to sell in a few weeks. Getting it cleaned up right now and putting together the info for the Craigslist add.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I have a 2006 GoldWing for long rides and a 2017 GoldWing for long rides. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
A while ago, I was thinking about changing rides and was thinking about going from a BMW R1150RT to a BMW GS. I was getting bored. I went to an adventure bike demo day and rode four different bikes. After riding the Suzuki 650 V Strom, with an ear to ear grin, I bought one the next day. And kept the RT. I've been thru three touring bikes since then and now have a 2018 Wing DCT, but the little V Strom is a keeper. Nothing better than jumping on it and doing 75 miles of dirt forest service roads in the Blue Ridge mountains.
Got a have a second bike to keep things interesting. And a third.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 107 Posts