GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, guess I should indicate that I mean just short rides down the street Not long distance. This ‘new to me’ 2019 dct tour airbag is a sweet ride, found that out while riding on the I-4 interstate in florida. I do though wonder just how ‘smooth’ it is taking bumps compared, say, a bmws r1250rt.

Though have to say she does have some weight to her, a bit of a hand full at walking speed. Guess such is life...many of us would like specific bikes for diffferent wants. Besides, i do have a pretend ‘dct’ aprilia mana 850gt i can take off the rolling dolly for a short lite weight ride now and again. My 2012 honda nc700x i will need to get to my brother’s place out of state.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Goldwing trike for two up and a Harley Sportster when I want to ride by myself. My first Harley purchase was 63 years ago and my last was this year at 81. Still riding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an '05 with 240,000 miles on it and use it for work sometimes. Being a Home Health RN I travel about 60 miles a day. The 2018 DCT has the advantage of pairing with my phone which the '05 does not. My '18 already has 45,000 miles on it and I want it to last me forever si that's why I use the '05 sometimes.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Still got my 1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S

I have owned several Nighthawks over the years. 2 were CB650SC, and 2 were CB750SC. I still have several parts leftover from the last CB650SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
I bought an '07 ST 1300 last fall. My wife hasn't been on a bike in over 10 yrs and I'm 81 so I thought I should downsize. After 4 or 5 short trips I'm glad I didn't sell my '01 Wing. My next long trip I'll take the Wing.

·
Registered
685 Posts
This is one of my oldest bikes. 1974 TS250 Suzuki. My dad bought it new for checking the crops and trapping gophers out in the field. He also had a rifle scabbard mounted on the front to take care of any vermin. Lol. It still has original tires and 6,300 miles on it.

View attachment 368786
Very nice!
I still have (again after selling it 30 years ago) my 1972 TS125 Duster. As a teen I rode the snot out of it and then sold it to an older guy who never really used it and it sat in a barn. When he passed away I bought it at his auction. Now it sits in my garage needing a complete restoration. My dad (he is 88) still has his '72 TS185. Much better condition than mine but hasn't been run in decades.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Very nice!
I still have (again after selling it 30 years ago) my 1972 TS125 Duster. As a teen I rode the snot out of it and then sold it to an older guy who never really used it and it sat in a barn. When he passed away I bought it at his auction. Now it sits in my garage needing a complete restoration. My dad (he is 88) still has his '72 TS185. Much better condition than mine but hasn't been run in decades.
Thanks jettawreck. I actually had the exact same bike as my dad but me being a teenager at the time mine didn’t fare so well. My brother had the TS185 which was almost as fast as my 250. Great bikes. Your 125 has the standard 5 speed right? If I recall it was the TC125 that had the hi/lo range? These were great bikes. I believe the 74s were the first year for electronic ignition.
I may even have a service manual laying around for the older TS125 and TS185. Good luck with your restoration.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My other bike is an Aprilia RSV1000R. Hardly a light weight around town bike. As such, I would love to find a 1974 Honda CB350- four. Owned one many years ago, green, and would love to own again, for around town. Failing that, will try to find a light weight scrambler.
Very jealous, but encouraged, by some of the garage pictures posted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, guess I should indicate that I mean just short rides down the street Not long distance. This ‘new to me’ 2019 dct tour airbag is a sweet ride, found that out while riding on the I-4 interstate in florida. I do though wonder just how ‘smooth’ it is taking bumps compared, say, a bmws r1250rt.

Though have to say she does have some weight to her, a bit of a hand full at walking speed. Guess such is life...many of us would like specific bikes for diffferent wants. Besides, i do have a pretend ‘dct’ aprilia mana 850gt i can take off the rolling dolly for a short lite weight ride now and again. My 2012 honda nc700x i will need to get to my brother’s place out of state.
I have a 2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe and it’s a fun ride! 🏍🇺🇸🎒

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
My 990 KTM Adventure Dakar last week. Not much to look at, but ... ok not much to look at! :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I am impressed with the variety of other bikes by many of those who have posted in this thread. I am in Kentucky for the summer and my other rides here, in addition to the Gold Wing, are: ST-1300, M109R, and 1800S VTX.

Here are the three other rides in KY:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Short Jaunt? That bike has more storage and is just as comfortable as the Wing. Do you have ESA? If so it blows away Honda’s “adjustable” suspension.

Beautiful bike! I would possibly prefer it over the Wing if my wife did not ride. Other issue is my local dealer, a no go for reliable work and the next closest is 3 hours away.
I said "short jaunts" in jest.
The R12xxGS was a bucket list item for me. I finally broke down and bought one when Neil Peart passed. (I had been strongly considering an AT...but that is a different story.)
I really love this R1250GS, but the Goldwing is still better suited to long on-highway journeys. I bought the GS to explore back roads, fire breaks, etc.
That being said, if I were forced to keep one bike only, it would probably be the GS.
My wife likes the Goldwing better but not nearly as much as our previous Wing....sigh.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I no longer have a second (or third) bike, but will simply comment on your wondering how the BMW 1250RT's suspension compares to the GOLD WING DCT Tour.

First, the R1250RT's suspension is identical to the R1200RT LC's suspension. I owned a '14 R1200RT from new til I bought the '19 DCT Tour. Also, I am a BMW Fanboy. Loved, loved, loved that RT. Best suspension of any bike I've owned in forty years of riding.

I road tested the R1250RT on the same day, back-to-back with the DCT Tour on a very rough piece of 4-lane, divided highway, with at a real world riding speed of 120 kph. The RT was set on one rider, no luggage in Road mode, the Wing was set on one rider, no luggage in Tour mode. The RT had a (very) slight 'floaty' feel over the bumpy surface, while the Wing's suspension felt more controlled and not floaty, I'd say with better rebound damping.

The Wing's superior suspension (and impressive DCT transmission) are the two factors that convinced me to buy the Wing. Having said that, I'd own the R1250RT in a heartbeat, and be happy.

Tim
Hi Tim,
I too sold my 2014 r1200rt to buy a 2018 GW tour manual. My reasoning was to get a better ride for my spouse. She was always sliding forward on the RT and now raves about the comfort of the wing. What I liked best about the wing is the engine and suspension smoothness. I do miss the handling of the RT and I actually think the wind protect was better on the RT as well.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I said "short jaunts" in jest.
The R12xxGS was a bucket list item for me. I finally broke down and bought one when Neil Peart passed. (I had been strongly considering an AT...but that is a different story.)
I really love this R1250GS, but the Goldwing is still better suited to long on-highway journeys. I bought the GS to explore back roads, fire breaks, etc.
That being said, if I were forced to keep one bike only, it would probably be the GS.
My wife likes the Goldwing better but not nearly as much as our previous Wing....sigh.
But now you have the best of both worlds! Is is nice to have choices😀

61 - 80 of 107 Posts