GL1800Riders Forums banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well, guess I should indicate that I mean just short rides down the street Not long distance. This ‘new to me’ 2019 dct tour airbag is a sweet ride, found that out while riding on the I-4 interstate in florida. I do though wonder just how ‘smooth’ it is taking bumps compared, say, a bmws r1250rt.

Though have to say she does have some weight to her, a bit of a hand full at walking speed. Guess such is life...many of us would like specific bikes for diffferent wants. Besides, i do have a pretend ‘dct’ aprilia mana 850gt i can take off the rolling dolly for a short lite weight ride now and again. My 2012 honda nc700x i will need to get to my brother’s place out of state.
I have a mini Goldwing-- a Helix to buzz around on. It's a wonderful scooter and will get out on the highway with no problem

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have a VFR1200X as my 2nd scoot. Basically new with just over 600 miles on her. It’s a bike when properly set up just as capable distance wise as a Wing. Still have MC Cruise to install and a Day-Long , bats , lights and even found Hwy Pegs that will work. Sitting position almost identical to wing with lots of air flow for Sultry HUmid, SUFFocating, HOT summers. Wing for mild temps , 2up , and likely choice for long distance. Though VFR I’m planning on Tuktoyaktuk with the ultimate challenge of a dirt road ..the Dempster Hwy. In the next5-7years. Gotta build up the PTO to do it.Need to Plan for 4 weeks plus keep some for unpredictable needs to use it.

However going from the Wing pushing 900 Lbs., the 605 Lbs of the CrossTourer feels extremely light and flickable in comparison. weight difference and 150 rear/110 front tires. I got a manual and am kind of regretting not getting the DCT but still love the bike. Despite manual it is much more fun in town versus the wing. Turns out it will be useful other than more light adventure oriented tour ride. Who knows...could trade to a DCT due to the mostly in town riding i5 will get. I’ll know it if I come across mine right deal.I will Likely add a small dual sport in a few more years. Really like the Honda Talon SxS dor something more couples oriented since wife doesn’t care for riding. as well I like the DRZ400 enduro set up. Honda’s new 400 DS bike is awesome but to much maintenance for my liking. A XL600R in great shape would be the score if able to find. Most tagged rather hard in my experience and opinion.We will see . A lot of wants. May liquidate the 2005 GW that’s really nice set up with 68k on the clock along with my 85 300zx and do something rd,acted to what’s said above. New a GoldWing has also crossed my mind. Grom set up to off road might be fun too. VFR way to heavy/ especially top heavy for anything more than a gravel/dirt road rides. Don’t ask me how I know LOL. VFR is slightly heavier than a BMW GSA. About 20-25 pounds wet.

If ever brought to the USA this is a game changer to me just as the VFR is. Game over...It’s in the stable!!

On the VFR, I knew I wanted it the second I read about it in 2012. Surprised me and really kinda glad it wasn’t a hot seller. Helped me a great deal! All marketing put into Africa Twin definitely played a part in its short run in the USA. For me it’s all about the motor. Imagine the gold wing with similar torque along with a 9k red-line.

Definitely rambling here. If you stayed on to this point, thanks! Not much of adult beverage consumer but it was a hard week and especially hard day. So the rare mood has hit me .

Cheers to all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
839 Posts
With a little luck and my health holds up, I hope to have this old man up and running before fall. It was my father in law‘s 1st new HD that he bought in 1964. The rides will be short jaunts for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there’s a winner in this thread you get my vote. Incredibly cool an d awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I am impressed with the variety of other bikes by many of those who have posted in this thread. I am in Kentucky for the summer and my other rides here, in addition to the Gold Wing, are: ST-1300, M109R, and 1800S VTX.

Here are the three other rides in KY:

Nice 2005 ST1300! I have the same bike and it's a lot of fun for sure.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi Tim,
I too sold my 2014 r1200rt to buy a 2018 GW tour manual. My reasoning was to get a better ride for my spouse. She was always sliding forward on the RT and now raves about the comfort of the wing. What I liked best about the wing is the engine and suspension smoothness. I do miss the handling of the RT and I actually think the wind protect was better on the RT as well.
Agreed. The RT's weather protection is second to none, and beats my '19 DCT Tour and my former '07 Gold Wing hands down for superior air management and cold weather protection.

Still, no bike is perfect, is it? Love 'em all.

Tim

·
Registered
75 Posts
2017 Versys X300. I call it the Dirt Ninja. Sometimes 380 pounds just feels right. Russell Sport seat is an absolute must for this bike. I sealed the rims with Outex so I don't have to worry about tubes. Runs with the big dogs.

Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr

·
Registered
348 Posts
TODAY!!
New to me 1997 Valkyrie GL 1500 CT Green/Creme 13,000 miles
It's been sleeping in a garage for quite some time but started up and runs great.
Of course needs a facelift and a lot of CPR but it RUNS!!

When I figure out posting photos I'll add them

·
Registered
892 Posts
I saw Frank Ferrante had a Triumph and a Moto Guzzi. I always forget about Moto Guzzi. They have what looks to be an ideal 2nd bike. It's a V85TT, an 850cc adventure bike. It weighs about 500 lbs WET, has SHAFT DRIVE, a 33.5 in. seat height, and straight up seating, with aluminum saddlebags and Top BOX. Price is $12,990 MSRP.

Anybody who lives in a more populated area, where you might have access to a Dealer that sells and services Moto Guzzi, that would be a strong consideration as a second bike. You'd have access to a service dept, which would be important, since Moto Guzzi isn't a widely sold bike in America.

For you that live outside the USA and Canada, what is your experience with Moto Guzzi and does anybody here ride one? I mean a V85TT ADV model?

BTW, I checked the maintenance schedule and it looks pretty simple, like even something you could do at home.

Features: Display TFT, full LED lights, Ride by Wire, 3 Riding Mode (Street, Rain, Off‐road), Cruise Control, Handguard, Aluminium sump guard, MGCT Moto Guzzi Controllo di Trazione, Standard double channel ABS.

·
Registered
205 Posts
A 2018 Suzuki DL650XT VStrom. Not for local riding though, I use it on my trips through Mexico and Central America in the winters. This picture was taken in Baja in January, on a 7,000 mile loop from So. Calif. thru Mexico, Guatemala and Belize. I live in WA State, so trucked it down to SoCal to start the trip.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
A 2018 Suzuki DL650XT VStrom. Not for local riding though, I use it on my trips through Mexico and Central America in the winters. This picture was taken in Baja in January, on a 7,000 mile loop from So. Calif. thru Mexico, Guatemala and Belize. I live in WA State, so trucked it down to SoCal to start the trip. View attachment 369142
Now that's a trip that I'd love to do on a bike like that. (y)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I saw Frank Ferrante had a Triumph and a Moto Guzzi. I always forget about Moto Guzzi. They have what looks to be an ideal 2nd bike. It's a V85TT, an 850cc adventure bike. It weighs about 500 lbs WET, has SHAFT DRIVE, a 33.5 in. seat height, and straight up seating, with aluminum saddlebags and Top BOX. Price is $12,990 MSRP.

Anybody who lives in a more populated area, where you might have access to a Dealer that sells and services Moto Guzzi, that would be a strong consideration as a second bike. You'd have access to a service dept, which would be important, since Moto Guzzi isn't a widely sold bike in America.

For you that live outside the USA and Canada, what is your experience with Moto Guzzi and does anybody here ride one? I mean a V85TT ADV model?

BTW, I checked the maintenance schedule and it looks pretty simple, like even something you could do at home.

Features: Display TFT, full LED lights, Ride by Wire, 3 Riding Mode (Street, Rain, Off‐road), Cruise Control, Handguard, Aluminium sump guard, MGCT Moto Guzzi Controllo di Trazione, Standard double channel ABS.
GOV5,
Moto Guzzi’s are an acquired taste. My nearest dealer is 110 miles away. If you have a dealer close to you I suggest that you take a demo ride. You will be very surprised. The only negative is that the stock suspension on the V7III and V9’s are nothing to brag about.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts