GL1800Riders Forums banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
TODAY!!
New to me 1997 Valkyrie GL 1500 CT Green/Creme 13,000 miles
It's been sleeping in a garage for quite some time but started up and runs great.
Of course needs a facelift and a lot of CPR but it RUNS!!

When I figure out posting photos I'll add them
View attachment 369128
Nice!
Had the same type bike a few years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
I must be odd or something, but I honestly just ride my 2018 Goldwing DCT Tour everywhere I go. It's the only bike I own and I don't feel the need to own another one really.

If I ever did get a second bike it would be an adventure bike, something like the Africa Twin or the Tenere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2001 GL1800 - Touring with my wife.
2010 ST1300 - Everyday work commuter + fun bike (favorite)
2016 Forza 300 - Local runaround

·
Registered
18 Posts
My '18 Wing is named Dorothy. This is Toto, my '03 Sportster 1200. It's loud, smelly, and uncomfortable but I like it for the contrast. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I no longer have a second (or third) bike, but will simply comment on your wondering how the BMW 1250RT's suspension compares to the GOLD WING DCT Tour.

First, the R1250RT's suspension is identical to the R1200RT LC's suspension. I owned a '14 R1200RT from new til I bought the '19 DCT Tour. Also, I am a BMW Fanboy. Loved, loved, loved that RT. Best suspension of any bike I've owned in forty years of riding.

I road tested the R1250RT on the same day, back-to-back with the DCT Tour on a very rough piece of 4-lane, divided highway, with at a real world riding speed of 120 kph. The RT was set on one rider, no luggage in Road mode, the Wing was set on one rider, no luggage in Tour mode. The RT had a (very) slight 'floaty' feel over the bumpy surface, while the Wing's suspension felt more controlled and not floaty, I'd say with better rebound damping.

The Wing's superior suspension (and impressive DCT transmission) are the two factors that convinced me to buy the Wing. Having said that, I'd own the R1250RT in a heartbeat, and be happy.

Tim
The GW for me is new so I am still getting use to it. But I would have to say, the suspension on my BMW K1600 is far superior when pushing into corners especially on imperfect road surfaces. Turns I never gave a though about needed to be managed much more carefully on the GW. It gets better if I set it to Rider with luggage. Single rider setting was a disaster. Also surprised that GW did allow he suspension to be set independently of adjusting for Rider with luggage or passenger, etc. The BMW has that as two separate adjustments. Anyway still learning this bike.

Chuck

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
well, since i started the thread figure i should post a photo...my 09 aprilia mana 850gt with left handlebar paddle shifter up/down buttons plus a left foot shifter. Yes it is an automatic and maybe 400lbs les then the wing for short rides to get food at store or ride around town. Put bar risers on it though foot pegs are still to high for my liking. Fun bike though not a good seller for aprillia in th USA back in the day. Put her in Sport Gear (Manaul, I think) mode and she will hold her pretend gear until you shift her up or down. Rather very nice actually. Love not having to use a clutch lever on her. Plus, the fake gas tank storage area is sweet.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts