GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many folks in this forum have done their own transmission repairs/overhauls . I've read a lot about xsmn problems, about the theories as to why they jump, clank, ghost shift or just plain crap out but what I want to know is how many owners actually have done the repair themselves. I recently had 5th gear problems and contacted GoldwingGreg with some questions and he was nice enough to pass on his experiences and some suggestions to help me out.
I've seen some pictures of wings with the engine removed (not a pretty sight) and it's even worse when it's yours.
Mine was jumping out of 5th and then back in due to the dogs being worn. I replaced 4 gears and the center fork. I did not do the undercutting as Greg suggests. I've done it years ago on outboards that had exactly the same symptoms that my wing had. Those I did with a Dremel tool.
The teardown took 1 1/2 days as I had to stop 4 times to make the tools needed for the disassembly. Helps to have a machine shop at home.
Parts took 7 days to come in and reassembly took 3 days. I had to stop several times to do some other things so it would have been less than 3 days if it wasn't for that. In 12 days I went from a very sick bike to one that is fully recovered. All in all I thought 12 days was acceptable.
A couple of friends helped with the pulling and reinstalling of the engine. It's not a one man job. At least it's a lot easier with extra hands.
04black was there to help and look over things before I closed it up. 4 eyes are better than 2 in work like this. Bear was there watching the whole process. He kept the coffee hot and the jokes rolling.
I looked at a new wing before I started but my wife SUGGESTED I do it myself. I'm glad she did. It really gives you a sense of accomplishment to tackle a job this big.
So, I'd like to hear from others that have done the same job.

·
Registered
250 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
How many miles are on your bike?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
If the bike is warranty (original or extended), it is Honda's problem and on their dimes.

Otherwise it is either tear into it yourself as you did or lay out about $4G.

Give yourself a few big pats on the back for having the gumption to tackle a major, major job like this. And a few more for completing it.

I don't think too many have taken on this task.

:thumbup:

·
Vendor
18,123 Posts
Me

You got any pix of those gears and fork? What gears did you replace? What were your symptoms?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how many miles

How many miles are on your bike?
It's a 2005 with 86,500 miles at the time of the teardown. It had been acting up for about 15,000 miles. I learned to live with it since it started by being very careful with the 5th gear shift. I left on vacation pulling the Timeout camper when it got worse and had to return home 300 miles in 4th gear at 72 mph.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Me

You got any pix of those gears and fork? What gears did you replace? What were your symptoms?
I've got pictures of the gears and forks that I can email to you.
I never bothered to learn to post pics.

As I said before in my email to you it was popping out of 5th and back in.
Everytime I rolled the throttle on it would pop out and then lock in until I rolled the throttle off. Then it would do it again. Just like an outboard running down the lake with bad shifter dogs.
I replaced 2nd/3rd, 4th and 5th Primary and 3rd gear on the secondary and the center shifting fork.

·
Vendor
18,123 Posts
I've got pictures of the gears and forks that I can email to you.
I never bothered to learn to post pics.

As I said before in my email to you it was popping out of 5th and back in.
Everytime I rolled the throttle on it would pop out and then lock in until I rolled the throttle off. Then it would do it again. Just like an outboard running down the lake with bad shifter dogs.
I replaced 2nd/3rd, 4th and 5th Primary and 3rd gear on the secondary and the center shifting fork.
Sorry if I didn't remember what yours was doing ... I get lots of PMs from people regarding this issue.

Would like to see the pix. Send them to [email protected]

·
Vendor
18,123 Posts
I appreciate your accomplishment.
I assume you are writing to me. Thank you, I do apprciate it ... I have worked hard and spend many of my own dollars and many hours to answer one of this forums most complex and annoying questions "why a GoldWings ghost shifts." I too could have had mine repaired under the 3yr warrentee, but choose the only route where I could answer that question by myself. In the mean time, it has made me the only real voice out there saying "it not your fault" ... no matter what anyone else says !!! In the process I've had some tools made for ones that need to do an engine pull.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
How many folks in this forum have done their own transmission repairs/overhauls . I've read a lot about xsmn problems, about the theories as to why they jump, clank, ghost shift or just plain crap out but what I want to know is how many owners actually have done the repair themselves. I recently had 5th gear problems and contacted GoldwingGreg with some questions and he was nice enough to pass on his experiences and some suggestions to help me out.
I've seen some pictures of wings with the engine removed (not a pretty sight) and it's even worse when it's yours.
Mine was jumping out of 5th and then back in due to the dogs being worn. I replaced 4 gears and the center fork. I did not do the undercutting as Greg suggests. I've done it years ago on outboards that had exactly the same symptoms that my wing had. Those I did with a Dremel tool.
The teardown took 1 1/2 days as I had to stop 4 times to make the tools needed for the disassembly. Helps to have a machine shop at home.
Parts took 7 days to come in and reassembly took 3 days. I had to stop several times to do some other things so it would have been less than 3 days if it wasn't for that. In 12 days I went from a very sick bike to one that is fully recovered. All in all I thought 12 days was acceptable.
A couple of friends helped with the pulling and reinstalling of the engine. It's not a one man job. At least it's a lot easier with extra hands.
04black was there to help and look over things before I closed it up. 4 eyes are better than 2 in work like this. Bear was there watching the whole process. He kept the coffee hot and the jokes rolling.
I looked at a new wing before I started but my wife SUGGESTED I do it myself. I'm glad she did. It really gives you a sense of accomplishment to tackle a job this big.
So, I'd like to hear from others that have done the same job.
I have done many rebuilds in the past.Because my bike was still in warranty I let Honda cover the warranty work.

The bike is now out of warranty.I have a spare engine (13K) that I will split and do the upgrades to myself.Then do the same to my new engine IF it ever gives me any future trouble.

As you found out It's not rocket science to split a 1800 engine."It does take patients to check everything as it goes back together"

That's why we have repair shops for guys who can't or won't do their own work.Nothing wrong with that either.

The Honda service manual lists all the necessary tools needed to split a engine and to assemble it as well.:thumbup:

caipira-PM sent.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Attachments

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Here's 4 more pics.
I just had my Gold Wing fixed by Greg @ Justwings.com
not regrets at all, my gears are under cut and for the last 908 miles it shifts like never before. Mine was a 02 with 80,000 miles on it when the transmission let go of 5th gear and I also had to ride home using 3rd and 4th gear. My bike is a mirror image of yours including the worn parts. If you search here and see the pictures fo the bike Greg just repaired your looking at my bike. I had the option to have a dealership do this repair but they did not want to machine the gears they just wanted to put the bike back to stock. Unaceptable in my book, that would be just setting me up for future rebuilds. Greg also had the rings replaced and replace the altenator pin? He also replaced cooling hoses and a bunch of other things that needed to be done. Even picked me up at the airport so I could ride the bike back home...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts