GL1800Riders Forums banner

Have you had to use a tire repair kit while on the road?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't carry one

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many have had to pull this tool out and plug or repair a tire while out on the road.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I've not had a flat on any Goldwing, YET! :eek:4:
Kind of like insurance, nice to have.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I tried the black slime type, it didnt work well. I have used plugs in car tires numerous times no issues.
They kept coming out when I used them on the moto tire. 3 times in 20 miles.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Air in tires?? Heck I just went with a solid tire, never have flats

Dan L

·
Registered
559 Posts
Danl - you're the one with the silicone butt implants??? That's why you can get by with solid tires !! LOL

I'm going to be jinxed now, but I have gone 21 years without a puncture in a bike tire.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
dyna plugs

Dyna plugs - quick and easy. My neighbor wants my kit for his trailer now.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I had to use a rope sticky plug in a front tire after running over some debris in the road that I could not go around. It got me home safe a sound. A few hundred miles later the tire split right where the plug was inserted. I put another plug in beside the first one and again it got me home. Tossed the tire after that. Rope plugs have to be coated with rubber cement to work properly. Front tires don't plug well and should be just a bandaid to get somewhere to change it for a new one.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I had ridden motorcycles for over 25 years without experiencing a flat. Then I got 3 within about 18 months. Unfortunately, it took 2 flats (and the associated towing hassles) to finally motivate me to go out and buy a portable compressor and tire repair kit. I was ready on the 3rd time! Yea . . . they DO WORK!

·
Registered
240 Posts
:nojoke: I used plug type and Rope Type with Co2 (5) on the rear Tire once to get me Home from a trip, Tire would not hold Air, ran out of those CO2 things. Had to Park the Wing and get a ride Home.

I still care a Tire Repair Kit with a 12V Pump (so I will not run our of Air), just in case it's a smaller leak (Hole), I think it would work great, just not with a Tire with a larger Type Hole.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Plugged my Hankook, and run it for thousands of miles afterwords!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Last Sept. I left Missoula, Montana on my way back to Michigan and had a slow leak flat rear tire within 1/2 hour on the expressway. I got off at an exit, laid the bike on it's side and plugged the leak with a sticky rope. Had a new tire put on in Billings, Montana. Good thing that I also carried a Slime air compressor.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
I answered no, but I did run into a Wing this year with a flat on the rear in Big Bend. He picked up a very large nail with his invincible CAR TIRE. He plugged it. I said keep the kit, I will a new one at Walmart for $5

·
Banned
208 Posts
Have it on the wing, never used it for the wing but other bikes in the past.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I voted Yes, but it was on a bike that I came upon by the side of the road. He had picked up a sheet metal screw like they use to put together steel stud buildings. They are getting quite common on the roads around Knoxville.

·
Registered
77 Posts
30 years without a flat. Lucky, it will run out one day soon I bet. Slime tire pump has been used for topping off but repair kit goes on unused.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
My trailer came with a tire plug kit, and a built in air compressor. I have not used the plug kit, but the compressor is another story. Last month I was heading home when my TPMS light came on. I had picked up a piece of steel that put a half inch long cut in the rear tire that did not look like a plug would seal. I was about 20 miles from home, so I was able to air it up and limp home.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts