GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More than once I’ve gone out to the garage to set it up, then thought, “screw it, I’m going for a ride instead.” I have owned my bike since November last year, but I have not bothered with it. I know it would (maybe) be cool to listen to music, podcasts, etc, but I haven’t felt so inclined. I’m not a techno-grouch, but I’d rather ride than fiddle with distractions, and I admit I’m easily distracted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For me, the magic is that you don't really have to "fiddle" with it. Bike on, bluetooth on, plug in the phone and (for me anyway) the music starts on its own and I just roll away. Granted, things get wonky sometimes but in general, I find long distances funner with my tunes. Also, if I have to navigate... Google Maps blows the integrated GPS out of the water. (Disclaimer: I have a pretty high Fiddle Index. I completely understand the desire to leave all that stuff at home when you roll out.)

·
Registered
382 Posts
No, not bothered in 2 years, couple of times I turned the radio on...while in the garage...by mistake :)
but I confess I don't do commuting or A-to-B with my bike.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I fired mine up a few times to see what all the fuss is about. Its about nothing for me. I like my XM. The bike‘s GPS is all I need for navigation. I have 3 regular use helmets and only have Bluetooth in one.

I decided to not mix phone use with my riding or driving anymore. I’ll use it when stopped . Someday that might change but it’s working for me now.

I‘ve gotten really brave a few times and ridden without my phone at all. Hard to imagine.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Ive used a older iPhone with my Android phone as a hot spot to try car play out... liked it so much that I was going to buy a iPhone to replace my Android phone, but now I don't have too with Android Auto coming next month...really looking forward to that update with the Navi firmware.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I don't have an "I-whatever" to use apple play, but I will not use Android Auto either when I get the next update installed. My music is on a 64G very tiny in size USB drive. I turn on the bike, music starts automatically, nothing else to turn on or plug in; but if I want anything in my helmet I may need to plug it in if it was put away or I switch bikes (I still have wired headset, and prefer it). My phone connects to my Zumo where I can answer calls, get weather, traffic, all of that apple play and Android auto stuff there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I started out with a pair of Sena 10s and then moved on to Cardo Bold set. The Bluetooth version HK and Honda used in this system is a complete and utter joke. Really 2.1+EDR that junk dates back to 2008,,, ten year old BT version Honda? Thats retarded! The navi is straight out of a 2006 Civic with worse controls. I guess we should be thankful it doesn't run off a DVD. The radio reception is useless also. So with the new Cardo Bolds we use them as stand alone and put Hondas system on ignore. If by chance I want to use Hondas antique navi I don't need it talking to me. Otherwise the Cardo's with our phones paired to them are more than great! I can listen to my music. She can listen to hers. We can both make or receive calls. Share calls, music, whatever we want to do without Honda screwing things up. Now if the Honda system worked as well as the Sync3 in my lowly Ford Fusion I would use it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have an iPhone. And a BT headset. The bike has these features readily available. I've had a small number of growing pains with getting the technology to work, but I have gotten it to work fairly reliably. I also like to use as many of the features of a product as possible because they are there to use and they do provide me with additional conveniences and capabilities. And, I like to ride. Occasionally, I'll turn off the tech and just listen to the bike, and the road, and the wind, and commune with nature so to speak. But, 99% of the time, I'll turn on the tech and enjoy my riding. I agree with Brian and Matt. It's why I love the 'Wing and the DCT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Big fan of CarPlay. I am not what you would call an 'early adopter' or technically savvy. I had CarPlay in my truck for over a year before trying it (actually my daughter used it first). Once I experienced what it could do I was hooked. I cannot see myself purchasing another vehicle without it. It was definitely a very big bonus when purchasing our 2018 Goldwing. Many navigation options, hands free texting, cell phone integration, music playlists, etc. Only one fault (IMO), CarPlay needs to sync with a bluetooth headset in order to function. Otherwise I love it!! Think I will go for a ride, have fun.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really didn’t intend to bash CarPlay (or Honda) with this thread. I was wondering how many of us just ride the bike and haven’t bothered with it. I do expect to try it out eventually, and maybe I’ll regret waiting so long.

·
Registered
777 Posts
It's of no value to me. It doesn't hurt anything being there. However, I don't need it with all of the other things there are. If I have music to ride by then my other interests are keeping me safe. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
630 Posts
I can’t understand why people would go straight from phone to headset, even if you don’t use CarPlay the bike’s infotainment system is better for taking calls, listening to music etc. simply because it has a screen. I want to know who I’m answering the phone to before I answer it, you can see that on the screen if you go phone-to-bike-to-headset whether that’s via CarPlay or the Honda interface.

I’ve seen mention of an older Bluetooth protocol, but I can’t believe your helmet speakers are good enough to notice audio compression at riding speeds.

I suppose maybe if you have lots of bikes, and are constantly switching, but still...

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Hold on guys, if I am following correctly Android auto and car play require a Bluetooth headset? Why? Will it only play through the headset?

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
551 Posts
I had the J&M Blue hub put in when I purchased my bike. They were doing a conversion to a CSC trike so everything was already apart and I have 2 sets of helmets with corded J&M headsets. I'm really getting to like Carplay since the radio reception on this bike totally sux. I lets me listen to my favorite right wing AM station and also use Waze which I love.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
On my first trip to the Blue Ridge I ran all my routes through Carplay andnit worked great. I had a backup gps on the bars which did have a couple features Carplay did not. On my last trip I removed the Garmin and put a phone mount in its place and now the phone is on the bars. I like it for Dark Sky and some other weather apps.

Ironically I was out yesterday am and thought about the last bike where I had a bar mounted GPS and music through my phone to helmet.

I like the options that Carplay provides but would be just fine without it as well. The large screen is the best advantage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Apple CarPlay integration was one of the key reasons I purchased my 2018 GW. It's that important to me.

The onboard nav is limited and convoluted. I can store unlimited destinations on my phone. The motorcycle is limited to 30 (I think it's 30, but it's small).
I can use voice command with Siri, but not the built in nav. "Directions to Hoover Dam," and CarPlay will present me with a map to that destination. I can do this easily while I'm in motion. Not Honda/HK nav.
Entering a destination in the Honda/HK nav has commonly been a PITA for me. When I'm successful entering a destination, Honda nav works well. Using a stored destination works well. If I practiced entering new destinations, the Honda/HK nav would probably be OK but I've not bothered since CarPlay just works.

CarPlay allows me to listen to podcasts, music, radio, audio books and more.

A negative things about CarPlay include its need for cell service to initiate a route, voice recognition when at speed, and heat. Voice recognition is pretty good under 50 mph, and would likely be even better with a better headset. I'm using Sena 20s. It could be better.

I've had my phone overheat in the glove box a number of times (here in Arizona). It's highly irritating, as the phone becomes unresponsive. A number of solutions for the heat have been suggested elsewhere on this board, but I've not tried them. Just opening the lid on the glove box while riding seems to help a lot, tho I shouldn't have to do that.

Regardless, for long rides, I enjoy CarPlay.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts