GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Apple CarPlay integration was one of the key reasons I purchased my 2018 GW. It's that important to me.

The onboard nav is limited and convoluted. I can store unlimited destinations on my phone. The motorcycle is limited to 30 (I think it's 30, but it's small).
I can use voice command with Siri, but not the built in nav. "Directions to Hoover Dam," and CarPlay will present me with a map to that destination. I can do this easily while I'm in motion. Not Honda/HK nav.
Entering a destination in the Honda/HK nav has commonly been a PITA for me. When I'm successful entering a destination, Honda nav works well. Using a stored destination works well. If I practiced entering new destinations, the Honda/HK nav would probably be OK but I've not bothered since CarPlay just works.

CarPlay allows me to listen to podcasts, music, radio, audio books and more.

A negative things about CarPlay include its need for cell service to initiate a route, voice recognition when at speed, and heat. Voice recognition is pretty good under 50 mph, and would likely be even better with a better headset. I'm using Sena 20s. It could be better.

I've had my phone overheat in the glove box a number of times (here in Arizona). It's highly irritating, as the phone becomes unresponsive. A number of solutions for the heat have been suggested elsewhere on this board, but I've not tried them. Just opening the lid on the glove box while riding seems to help a lot, tho I shouldn't have to do that.

Regardless, for long rides, I enjoy CarPlay.
Yeah, I don’t get much luck using Siri at speed either. I think the wind noise means Siri doesn’t always detect when you’ve stopped speaking properly is part of the issue.

Can’t see Apple making big efforts to optimise Siri for motorcycling wind noise though, alas, as we’re not exactly a large proportion of their user base!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yeah, I don’t get much luck using Siri at speed either. I think the wind noise means Siri doesn’t always detect when you’ve stopped speaking properly is part of the issue.

Can’t see Apple making big efforts to optimise Siri for motorcycling wind noise though, alas, as we’re not exactly a large proportion of their user base!

I dunno, she made out a text message I dictated to her that contained the words "Bull-$hit" @ about 60 MPH......
She repeated it back to me just fine and even seemed to emphasize the words. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I was laughing so hard when I heard her say it back.........sounded funny hearing Siri say that.
She does OK in my book.... ;)

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Here is my story sad but true...:

I tried. More than once. I prefer the Android interface, but I have and can use Mr. Steve Job's platform.

I could not take the disconnections and the sitting around waiting for a second beep while my bike idled, to plug in my iPhone even thought the display said my bluetooth ears were on.

Then I tried the iPhone for Waze and calls, and a GarminVI on the bar for directions. The system kept kicking out my Sena 20 out of one or the other.

At one point, the whole connection went haywire: phone wouldn't work, Waze would not talk, I tried several time to re-pair to the Sena...nothing.

Once I made a simple route, passed to a mem-stick, plugged, it was a flocking-mess of directions since I knew where all these places were at already.

I wish I could see how it is that it works for some of you. I ain't altogether that stupid about software use. I just freaking gave up. Carplay on this bike has to be the most glitchsie software I ever used in my life going back to Dos...of course Dos was pretty stable (bad example)

I have serious doubts about an Android accessibility.

Isn't Carplay originally an iPhone software extension? not an Android? if so, forget'bout 't

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hold on guys, if I am following correctly Android auto and car play require a Bluetooth headset? Why? Will it only play through the headset?

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

I think it needs to have the BT headset in order to get voice commands INTO the system. If it doesn't detect the microphone, then it doesn't kick on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I do not use Apple Car Play at all. I have an iPod in my trunk, a BMW Nav VI on my handlebar and SiriusXM. I stopped making and taking calls a few years ago. Too many glitches (at least then) and like some previous posts, I get too absorbed with my toys—dangerous.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
I started out with a pair of Sena 10s and then moved on to Cardo Bold set. The Bluetooth version HK and Honda used in this system is a complete and utter joke. Really 2.1+EDR that junk dates back to 2008,,, ten year old BT version Honda? Thats retarded! The navi is straight out of a 2006 Civic with worse controls. I guess we should be thankful it doesn't run off a DVD. The radio reception is useless also. So with the new Cardo Bolds we use them as stand alone and put Hondas system on ignore. If by chance I want to use Hondas antique navi I don't need it talking to me. Otherwise the Cardo's with our phones paired to them are more than great! I can listen to my music. She can listen to hers. We can both make or receive calls. Share calls, music, whatever we want to do without Honda screwing things up. Now if the Honda system worked as well as the Sync3 in my lowly Ford Fusion I would use it.
Why does it matter what BT version Honda used...it works very well. I have no issues at all, music connects, phone connects...everything works great

·
Registered
85 Posts
My few frustrating experiences with Apple Car Play failures forced me to hit my wallet up again for a New Garmin Zumo XT; I should hve it installed today. BTW APC works flawlessly In my Camaro.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I dunno, she made out a text message I dictated to her that contained the words "Bull-$hit" @ about 60 MPH......
She repeated it back to me just fine and even seemed to emphasize the words. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I was laughing so hard when I heard her say it back.........sounded funny hearing Siri say that.
She does OK in my book.... ;)
Stop corrupting Siri with your profanity! ;) You probably have a better microphone than I do, or a more eloquent and enunciated speaking voice!

I don't even know what it is, but know I don't need or want it if it has anything remotely related to a phone as the main benefit.
They ruined the Gold Wing back when they removed the built in gramophone... don’t want it, don’t need it...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a quick chime-in for the folks having problems with CarPlay. If it's only working sometimes or if pairing is either a fustercluck or unreliable, here's two possible solutions: First, make sure your phone and you BT headset are NOT paired to each other. That causes a cascade of issues related to which piece of equipment is "in charge." Just make sure your BT headset is paired ONLY to your motorcycle. You could also try just turning off Bluetooth on your phone, but honestly that's just a pain. The second thing to try is a different cable connecting the phone to the bike. Not all of them are created equal. Finally, for those of you who are in the "Don't use it, don't want to" camp: I completely understand. I pretty much get on a motorcycle to AVOID all that stuff. But when you're riding hundreds of miles a day for a couple of weeks alone, it sure makes it more bearable. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can’t understand why people would go straight from phone to headset, even if you don’t use CarPlay the bike’s infotainment system is better for taking calls, listening to music etc. simply because it has a screen. I want to know who I’m answering the phone to before I answer it, you can see that on the screen if you go phone-to-bike-to-headset whether that’s via CarPlay or the Honda interface.

I’ve seen mention of an older Bluetooth protocol, but I can’t believe your helmet speakers are good enough to notice audio compression at riding speeds.

I suppose maybe if you have lots of bikes, and are constantly switching, but still...
I can tell you from first hand experience that if you have a good set of speakers in your helmet that eliminate the majority of background noise you can notice the Honda Bluetooth does have a decent amount of high frequency roll-off and mid range slightly elevated. My theory is Honda equalized it purposely to compensate for road noise and crappy speakers, either on the bike or in helmet. Now using Bluetooth between phone and Packtalk Bold the audio is so amazing because that equalization curve isn't on the phone. It would be nice if Honda put a menu item in there to remove this equalization. So, if you really want amazingly great and pleasing music you will be using the phone instead of the bike's Bluetooth.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
After my wife got a new car with car play I was hooked. Being a snow-bird and traveling we use the crap out of Waze on our IPhones. I put CarPlay in my slingshots and my truck. CarPlay and DTC are the two main reasons I traded to the 2020. It’s so easy to use even my 87 year old mother uses it now. We even have indoor plumbing now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
630 Posts
I can tell you from first hand experience that if you have a good set of speakers in your helmet that eliminate the majority of background noise you can notice the Honda Bluetooth does have a decent amount of high frequency roll-off and mid range slightly elevated. My theory is Honda equalized it purposely to compensate for road noise and crappy speakers, either on the bike or in helmet. Now using Bluetooth between phone and Packtalk Bold the audio is so amazing because that equalization curve isn't on the phone. It would be nice if Honda put a menu item in there to remove this equalization. So, if you really want amazingly great and pleasing music you will be using the phone instead of the bike's Bluetooth.
Well, I stand corrected then. For me though, I wear earplugs anyway so I’m already not in an optimal audiophile situation when I’m riding. As long as I can get the volume loud enough with earplugs that I can vaguely hear all the instruments I’m happy. I use it more as background music to pass the time on long, boring highway rides, than for an immersive music experience. But for those with an audiophile helmet speaker setup I guess you’re probably right, so long as it’s worth losing the screen interface to achieve it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, I stand corrected then. For me though, I wear earplugs anyway so I’m already not in an optimal audiophile situation when I’m riding. As long as I can get the volume loud enough with earplugs that I can vaguely hear all the instruments I’m happy. I use it more as background music to pass the time on long, boring highway rides, than for an immersive music experience. But for those with an audiophile helmet speaker setup I guess you’re probably right, so long as it’s worth losing the screen interface to achieve it.
I am with you on this. A motorcycle is in no way an audiophile's environment. I don't use earplugs when riding, but I do use speakers with cushions that fit properly and remove the majority of background noise and allow me to enjoy music or whatever when I want at a nice low volume. Definitely makes riding so much more enjoyable and saves my hearing.

·
Registered
397 Posts
For me, the magic is that you don't really have to "fiddle" with it. Bike on, bluetooth on, plug in the phone and (for me anyway) the music starts on its own and I just roll away. Granted, things get wonky sometimes but in general, I find long distances funner with my tunes. Also, if I have to navigate... Google Maps blows the integrated GPS out of the water. (Disclaimer: I have a pretty high Fiddle Index. I completely understand the desire to leave all that stuff at home when you roll out.)

I am in no way a techie geek. What you say is absolutely true and it could not be any easier. If you have an IPhone, you don't have to do ANYTHING except turn it on. Voila !!! Your songs start playing through the speakers on its own. Well................you do have to make sure you have selected the bluetooth screen on the bike. ( AM, FM, AUX, etc. - Bluetooth )

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I use IEMs (Sensaphonics) with Sena 20S Evo & Apple Carplay and the fidelity is pretty darn good IMHO......
Blocks out a lot of ambient noise (37db isolation) and also the volume does not need to be very high because of this.

Had them for 4-years so far and still work very well.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why does it matter what BT version Honda used...it works very well. I have no issues at all, music connects, phone connects...everything works great
If it works well for you and others,, fantastic! It's useless to me having to go through it's 12 year old sequence of pairing, setup and operation with a navi that dates back to 2006. They could of atleast pulled there heads out of there butts and used BT 3.0 or are they smart enough to dare use BT 4.0. BT 5.0 must fry there little brain cells. BT 2.1+EDR was outdated when it launched as the very very first BT protocal that supported manual hub setup and operation. They cheaped out! And 99% don't even know they got ripped off concerning tech.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts