GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
If it works well for you and others,, fantastic! It's useless to me having to go through it's 12 year old sequence of pairing, setup and operation with a navi that dates back to 2006. They could of atleast pulled there heads out of there butts and used BT 3.0 or are they smart enough to dare use BT 4.0. BT 5.0 must fry there little brain cells. BT 2.1+EDR was outdated when it launched as the very very first BT protocal that supported manual hub setup and operation. They cheaped out! And 99% don't even know they got ripped off concerning tech.
Why not answer the question instead of just babbling on your silly reason why you wont use it..it works fine, but you wont use it because it takes a minute to pair up the headset to the bike and the firmware isn't what you think it should be..just silly..you sound like all the Apple haters...iPod works perfectly with system but wont use it because its Apple.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use Apple Carplay (AC) everytime I ride. This is my first and only vehicle with AC. I appreciate the ability to use google maps for simple point to point navigation. Much easier than using the onboard GPS. And we listen to Pandora music frequently. Set up is actually pretty simple as long as you follow the right sequence.
As another person mentioned, I don't understand why they designed it to require a BT connection to the bike. That makes no sense to me since you could still use the bikes speakers to hear music or turn-by-turn directions. It is a bit of an annoyance to have to don your helmet, turn on the BT communicator, ensure connection to the bike, all BEFORE you can plug your phone into the infotainment system. Perhaps that is something that will change in the furure.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I use Apple Carplay (AC) everytime I ride. This is my first and only vehicle with AC. I appreciate the ability to use google maps for simple point to point navigation. Much easier than using the onboard GPS. And we listen to Pandora music frequently. Set up is actually pretty simple as long as you follow the right sequence.
As another person mentioned, I don't understand why they designed it to require a BT connection to the bike. That makes no sense to me since you could still use the bikes speakers to hear music or turn-by-turn directions. It is a bit of an annoyance to have to don your helmet, turn on the BT communicator, ensure connection to the bike, all BEFORE you can plug your phone into the infotainment system. Perhaps that is something that will change in the furure.
Apple CarPlay requires you to be able to talk to it. On a Goldwing that requires Bluetooth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Car Play has been worth the price of admission! Amazing thumb tip control while riding!

Question though hopefully someone can answer here...I have the Cardo Pack Talk Bold. No problems with pairing to the bike, but how can I get music to the headsets and still keep CarPlay through the bike?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Car Play has been worth the price of admission! Amazing thumb tip control while riding!

Question though hopefully someone can answer here...I have the Cardo Pack Talk Bold. No problems with pairing to the bike, but how can I get music to the headsets and still keep CarPlay through the bike?
I play my music thru my iPhone. Most of the time I use Pandora.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
15 year Member
6,809 Posts
Rome was not built in a day, Take your time learning a new technology, just because you don’t understand it in your mind it is unusable..... NOT TRUE. I learn something new everyday... apple car play is “seamless” no drops no errors.. however if you want to talk to somebody , leave your helmet on pull to the side of the road and make the call, best hands free device I have ever used...
it’s a motorcycle NOT a car...try making a call from your car with the windows and sunroof open... doesn’t work...

the apple interface was designed into the Goldwing.. learn how to use it so it works for YOU!!

mattbcnv

·
Registered
16 Posts
More than once I’ve gone out to the garage to set it up, then thought, “screw it, I’m going for a ride instead.” I have owned my bike since November last year, but I have not bothered with it. I know it would (maybe) be cool to listen to music, podcasts, etc, but I haven’t felt so inclined. I’m not a techno-grouch, but I’d rather ride than fiddle with distractions, and I admit I’m easily distracted.
It does take a very exact sequence for it to work and I like the visual of the maps better, but when riding in the country I find that the signal is lost periodically and when that happens the Car Play drops. Ends up being pretty useless for me when travelling. Fine around town, but not usually worth the hassle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My few frustrating experiences with Apple Car Play failures forced me to hit my wallet up again for a New Garmin Zumo XT; I should hve it installed today. BTW APC works flawlessly In my Camaro.
Good luck. It is much better than 595. Nice screen resolution. Actually, you can see it, not guessing as on 595...

·
Registered
630 Posts
It does take a very exact sequence for it to work and I like the visual of the maps better, but when riding in the country I find that the signal is lost periodically and when that happens the Car Play drops. Ends up being pretty useless for me when travelling. Fine around town, but not usually worth the hassle.
Do you really mean that CarPlay drops out, or do you mean that apps that require data connections within CarPlay stop working? I’m assuming the latter, because the former isn’t my experience.

If riding through places that are likely to have patchy cellular signal the best thing to do is either download offline maps for the region in Google Maps, or invest in the Sygic app. Then you should be covered for mapping when the data connection drops.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Apple CarPlay requires you to be able to talk to it. On a Goldwing that requires Bluetooth.
I am pretty sure I never talked to Apple CarPlay. Am I missing something? When I am in AC, I use the handle bar control to scroll to the app I wish to use. Again, this is the only vehicle I have with AC, so I am not that knowledgable.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am pretty sure I never talked to Apple CarPlay. Am I missing something? When I am in AC, I use the handle bar control to scroll to the app I wish to use. Again, this is the only vehicle I have with AC, so I am not that knowledgable.
Functionality via the hand controls are limited. Some functions require Siri, which requires a microphone, hence Bluetooth.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you have the headsets paired to the bike, and the iphone plugged in and connected to the USB, it should play through the headsets with ACP. Just make sure the console selector is toggled to “headsets” and not “external speakers”

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was so surprised that you need a hookup a helmet blue tooth device first that in discussed I just moved on. Have not it done it yet. Own the bike 2 weeks.

Chuck

·
Registered
999 Posts
Chuck, you can buy a gizmo to spoof the Bluetooth so it does not have to be linked to a helmet.Search the board for a link.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I didnt want the hassle of trying to figure out the sequence of bluetooth this than that etc, so I installed the JM blu hub corded adaptor so I could use my corded helmets that I already own. NO PROBLEMS what so ever with using all of the tech on the bike. Radio, Apple carplay, intercom, CB, Honda Nav, all work seamlessly for me. I bought the Airbag model USB cord and moved the
port into the trunk so I can hook my phone up in the trunk, no more overheating of the phone like when it was in the front cubby.
I usually listen to my local radio station when riding locally, but have Carplay at my fingertips if I decide to listen to Pandora, also can answer any phone calls if I see it from the wife incase of emergency,( she knows not to call unless its urgent when I am on the bike).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Unless I am just running up to a store, I use Apple Car Play all the time. I have purchased plenty of cables. The cheap ones don't last long if they work at all. Someone suggested
Anker Powerline II Lightning Cable (1ft)
which is MFi certified. It has been great even when I have accidentally shut off bike instead of switching to ACC when gassing up. I have hopes it will last longer. If you are having issues, try a new cable.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts