GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many have pulled an engine on a GL1800?

·
Banned
939 Posts
Not I.

Not I.

Would love to be shop help on a project like that though.

How many hours does Mother Honda say that project should take if you had a new one ready to drop in?

That would take me more than a few weeks even if I had the shop manual taped to my forehead and slept with it at night.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I have....

I pulled the engine out of an '06. Some evenings and weekends was the only time I could manage for the task. I had a dead tranny (well it was dead enough). I finally started tearing it down mid December and had it back on the road by Father's day. I had a few delays due to parts and tools and having to replace other parts because of trying to get around certain tools.

This task is the perfect example of where "eating an elephant" came from.... This task was indeed "eating an elephant" and you have to do it one bit at a time.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled the engine out of an '06. Some evenings and weekends was the only time I could manage for the task. I had a dead tranny (well it was dead enough). I finally started tearing it down mid December and had it back on the road by Father's day. I had a few delays due to parts and tools and having to replace other parts because of trying to get around certain tools.

This task is the perfect example of where "eating an elephant" came from.... This task was indeed "eating an elephant" and you have to do it one bit at a time.
So you split the case then too. Yes, it is a challenging one. What was wrong with your tranny ... the center shift fork?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
There are many board member who have pulled an engine in the past by themselves.

Honda pays 14 hours to split the cases.Most mechanic will tell you it's a 40 hours job if "You know what you are doing!".

Some guys here have had transmission issues and some have had ACG failures.

It does require two special sockets to remove the engine from the fame,then three longer sockets for the clutch and output shaft.
You'll need to either fab up a connecting rod holder,and three ring compressors if you are going to split the cases.

Opening up a engine isn't rocket science.It does require mechanical background so you get it right the first time or you'll be taking it apart again and again!! :eek:4:

I haven't taken mine out YET! because I had a extended warranty that covers such things.But I am looking forward to playing with my spare engine soon.
I've rebuilt a few real engines in my heavyline days.lol

Bottom line here is you have rebuilt a engine in the past-YOU can pull and rebuild a 1800 engine too .Well that is "IF you pay attention to what you are doing!".

I'm having a set of specialty tools made and will Loan them out to whoever needs them as I do with my other tools because I like to help out other members.:cool:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Ross & Rich pulled the engine out of Rich's bike recently. They put it back in too.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Changed mine out in the past two weeks. Putting the front cowl on today and it is finished... Three full days and two evenings for the change. :thumbup: Now the clutch... THAT was a different story...

May tackle the split-the-case thing now on the old one....

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Changed mine out in the past two weeks. Putting the front cowl on today and it is finished... Three full days and two evenings for the change. :thumbup: Now the clutch... THAT was a different story...

May tackle the split-the-case thing now on the old one....
Steve.PM me a #.I want to talk to you about the clutch issue.

·
Registered
242 Posts
There are many board member who have pulled an engine in the past by themselves.

Honda pays 14 hours to split the cases.Most mechanic will tell you it's a 40 hours job if "You know what you are doing!".

Some guys here have had transmission issues and some have had ACG failures.

It does require two special sockets to remove the engine from the fame,then three longer sockets for the clutch and output shaft.
You'll need to either fab up a connecting rod holder,and three ring compressors if you are going to split the cases.

Opening up a engine isn't rocket science.It does require mechanical background so you get it right the first time or you'll be taking it apart again and again!! :eek:4:

I haven't taken mine out YET! because I had a extended warranty that covers such things.But I am looking forward to playing with my spare engine soon.
I've rebuilt a few real engines in my heavyline days.lol

Bottom line here is you have rebuilt a engine in the past-YOU can pull and rebuild a 1800 engine too .Well that is "IF you pay attention to what you are doing!".

I'm having a set of specialty tools made and will Loan them out to whoever needs them as I do with my other tools because I like to help out other members.:cool:

14 hrs to split the cases would be a real good estimate IMO.
The original question as I understood was how long to pull the engine.
I would say 6-8 hrs if you have the tools needed.
I recently took about 17 hrs to pull the engine and split the cases and inspect and order parts. That includes stopping 4 times to make the tools which took about 5 hrs and some trips to town to find the sockets needed.
It took about 20 hrs to repair the xsmn and reinstall the engine. Mine was an easy repair since it only needed 4 gears and a fork.
Others such as Rocky's are much more involved and being that the xsmn basically exploded and was in waranty I would have taken it to a dealer also. That's way too much money to eat yourself when it's in warranty. $400.00 is one thing. $4000.00 is something else.
I think I could pull one now in no more than 6. Practice makes perfect, or something like that. These times are in a well equipped, air conditioned shop which most don't have.
Understanding and finding the steps in the manual takes some time but make no mistake the Honda GL1800 manual is a very good book.

Rocky, I just picked up one of your sockets and have the other coming.
Get back with you later.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have Honda's labor guide and they pay 7.6 hours to remove and replace an engine. Crankcase set is 16.7 ... so would would be the same as an engine overhaul if the case was getting cleaned. 13.9 on mains. One connecting rod 13.6 and .5 for each add'l.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts