Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Think the laws are ok as they are

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many here are willing to do something about the needless slaughtering of motorcyclists on our highways and byways? How many are willing to make an effort to contact their own congressmen and work toward changing the LAWS?

Are you willing to step up to the plate and do whatever is necessary?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I'm torn... While I agree that it's a good cause and stupid drivers should pay for thier idiotic behaivior, I also see this falling directly on the motorcyclist.. Like it or not, motorcycles are more dangerous than cars and ANY crash results in more serious injury.. The safety nazis will eventually win and motorcycles will be banned or all have so much safety equipment that it's no longer enjoyable to ride or we can't afford them....
Don't think so??? 20 years ago, who would have predicted smoking being banned in the workplace, resturants and bars?? It will happen because insurance companies own all of us, it's only a matter of time folks!!

A real answer would be to force driver education every 5 years for ALL drivers!! That way, everybody gets educated to the current concerns (motorcycle awareness) and bad drivers can be identified and further educated. It'll never happen though because nobody can be improved by education and everybody is a perfect driver, no matter how many crashes or tickets they've had!!!!!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
For the most part, I believe we have enough laws, enough police, enough driver education. The only laws I would make more strict are those involving distracted driving as I see this as a problem that rivals DUI.

What we don't have enough of is strict enforcement of laws that are on the books. From the police to the prosecutors to the judges, the entire legal system refuses to strictly enforce laws. Why bother with speed limits or stop lights if they don't mean anything?

Do traffic laws only pertain to cagers? We motorcyclists are about as two-faced group as you'll find. We bitch about other drivers but we still think it's ok, even praiseworthy, to ride in an illegal manner....you see it on this board every day. If any group of motorists needs regular testing, it's motorcycle riders.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The AMAs Justice for All is a good way to go.....NOT just for motorcyclists, but for anyone operating a motor vehicle who is found GUILTY of injuring/killing someone.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Similar to gun control laws, if they enforce the ones already on the books things would work a lot better. You cannot legislate smarter people.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
wingman57 said:
Are you willing to step up to the plate and do whatever is necessary?
The first item of business ought to be how to address the problem of driver distractions.
All the print media (bill boards for example) are not just ugly but distracting.
All the complicated entertainment systmes. Those wee buttons and sliders mean the solo drivers must take eyes off road for several seconds.
All the cell phones, while driving with one hand it is still possible to watch the road but the conversation is more of a mind distraction than music.

Of all these I believe that cell phone use is the most dangerous. I quit using mine on the bike 100% of the time and in the car 85% of the time.

Before you ask your "willing to step up" question perhaps you might ask if you are willing to give up the 'right' to use cell phones when driving. If not then how can you ask others to?

For me - yes, I'll be willing to give up 100% of cell phone use when driving and will also agree to a $200 fine if caught doing so. If I am involved in an accident when using a cell phone I would also agree to a $10,000 fine.

I doubt I would have a hard time not answering the darn thing and it takes messages anyway. Besides, few of us had cell phones ten years ago.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
HiYoSilver said:
The AMA has the "Justice for All" campaign which I contribute to and will use their links to send my Congressmen messages about upcoming laws.
Right.
So glad they're devoting resources to repealing "unfair helmet laws" instead of pushing legislation to have motorcylces protected by vehicular lemon laws and other d.o.t.-related laws.

BTW, when I lived in FL I contacted my state reps, mayor, vice mayor, congressman, senator, state attorney, assitant state attorney, county state attorney, governor, president of the ama, & Ralph Nader.
Only Charlie Crist, state attorney at the time, actually acted like he cared and took some initiative. Motorcylces are still considered "recreational vehicles" in all but 13 states and we have no rights.
Slaughter? Most of the country thinks we have it coming to us. They don't care what happens to us.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I simply think that if the LEO's would actually start enforcing just
the use of turn signals, we could develop more conscience drivers
on our roads. People just need to be trained not to think of themselves
only. Let us make not using your directionals a 2 point violation,
and pull licenses at 12 points. (that is probably how it is)

Herb

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
HiYoSilver said:
The AMA has the "Justice for All" campaign which I contribute to and will use their links to send my Congressmen messages about upcoming laws.
Right.
So glad they're devoting resources to repealing "unfair helmet laws" instead of pushing legislation to have motorcylces protected by vehicular lemon laws and other d.o.t.-related laws.
Bill I think you have it there. I am all for anything that will make it safer for us out there on the road.

However it seems like we are asking them to legislate our protection from others yet everyone starts yelling when someone says something about legislation to protect us from ourselves.

Think about it if you were in Congress. Today I come before you to ask that you enact laws that would help protect me from the cages while riding my motorcycle and dole out stiffer penalties to the ones that might injure me.

The next day the same group come in front of you and ask that you make all states repeal their helmet laws because it is my right to make that decision.

Flame suit on, but I think safety begins with me.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
We already have a ton of lobbyists like the AMA etc to do this for us.

We do not need new laws, we need enforcement of existing laws.

I personally do not think that motorcyclists fare any worse than autos. We just feel it more as injuries are usually worse and we are too close to the motorcycle issue.

Not all motorcycle accidents/deaths are the fault of the second party.

What has been asked, is Nobel, but probably just a lot more noise, that has been heard already.

Bulldog

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well I am sure I will get blasted on this one but thats alright, it isn't the first time. You know in reading over these posts I usually sit here and kind of shake my head. There are some good ideas here and actually I agree with most of them, but as a law enforcement officer who three years ago lost my wife in a motorcycle accident when a cager made a left turn in front of us and had no chance to avoid the accident, and who was wearing protective equipment, good helmets I wonder where did the safty come in place for us. It is still the violaters fault period and it almost ticks me off when people say that safety starts first for us. That's BS cause everyone is responsible for safety. You know the rules of the road are made for one reason and one reason only and that is to make the roads safer. Some are suggesting that we (law enforcement and courts) enforce the laws more strickly, I agree but then you have the public bitching and moaning saying is all we are doing is generating revenue. It is a no win situation. The lady that turned in front of me never recieved a citation. Why? The attorneys said that she would get her punishment in civil court. Ah so she doesn't loose a penny and her insurance company just paid up and attorneys got there share. It just burns me that so many people have died on motorcycles cause of cars failing to yield to the right of way and then some people, even our own who ride bikes put the blame on us cause maybe we don't use the proper equipment. I am sorry I have vented here but a couple of the posts just got to me. I do excersise safety in fact I even traded my 04 wing in for one with an airbag. And yes I am a member of the AMA and I do support free choice on wearing a helmet or not. We don't need more laws just enforce the ones that we have.
Once again sorry for venting.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It would seem to me that "if" the laws are on the books and the judical system is going to use the laws for a guideline and nothing is set in stone. Then "why" do the judges only sentence a criminal(cager) as a misdeamenor traffic violation when a death occurs? Is it that if drugs were involved(and I don't mean illegal drugs),prescription drugs, and someone is impaired and no blood test is taken on the scene, proving guilt or under the influence, why are there LEO not following the set laws pertaining to this type of action?

Are we too busy or just in a hurry to get the report in so that they can get on with their tour of duty? I am not complaining or pointing fingers at the good LEO's that do their jobs correctly but rather the ones that don't do their jobs to the best of their abilities. Thus making the evidence almost non-existant and the person at fault gets off with 90 days jail time and community service.

What are the law makers and enforcers telling us? That we are something other than human. That our families don't care or love us, because we choose to ride a motorcycle? I say that is BS!!

This has gone on for too long and it isn't getting any better! I don't have all the answers and just ignoring the problems are not going to make them all go away. If we as motorcyclists don't stand up and be heard and corrective actions aren't taken, who in your family is going to be next?

I am not just talking about helmets laws here but vehicular manslaughter. The right of someone else taking a human life and basically getting off scott free.

Why are we so willing to let others, such as the AMA, do our speaking for us? Are we too complacent to just say...it is up to the AMA because I am contributing my money for their cause? It isn't their cause...it is ALL of OUR cause. When will the needless killings stop?

I know there are extending circumstances for each accident, and each one has to be proven. But when we all read in the newspaper, not on TV that another cager has killed a motorcyclist, just what do we do? Sit there and say...that's too bad. At that rate nothing will ever get accomplished and the judges will continue to allow 90 day sentences and treat them all as misdeamenors and community time. THIS IS SO WRONG!

When was the last time that you actually heard anything from the AMA and what they were doing and why? For myself....NEVER! Just alot of lip service.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Wingman, I couldn't agree with you more. If people would follow the AMA, they are not just doing the speaking for everyone, the program is actually trying to get others to contact their law makers and help get things changed. You are so right that this slaughter has to stop, people have to be accountable for thier actions.

Thanks for your post wingman and thanks for bringing this up to us all and making us all think a little.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
PunkinWing said:
I'm torn... While I agree that it's a good cause and stupid drivers should pay for thier idiotic behaivior, I also see this falling directly on the motorcyclist.. Like it or not, motorcycles are more dangerous than cars and ANY crash results in more serious injury.. The safety nazis will eventually win and motorcycles will be banned or all have so much safety equipment that it's no longer enjoyable to ride or we can't afford them....
Don't think so??? 20 years ago, who would have predicted smoking being banned in the workplace, resturants and bars?? It will happen because insurance companies own all of us, it's only a matter of time folks!!

A real answer would be to force driver education every 5 years for ALL drivers!! That way, everybody gets educated to the current concerns (motorcycle awareness) and bad drivers can be identified and further educated. It'll never happen though because nobody can be improved by education and everybody is a perfect driver, no matter how many crashes or tickets they've had!!!!!
Well said! :clap2:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I believe that the current laws are more than sufficient. What is lacking is the enforcement.

If someone is DUI and turns left in front of a biker, killing the rider, then that person should be prosecuted for vehicular manslaughter.

Unfortunately, more often (or so it seems) the person will be prosecuted for the DUI and failure to yield, giving them a much reduced sentence.

I'm not sure how much more we can get involved, but I do keep my AMA membership active and feel that those people are (generally) on top of things with greater access to legislators, prosecutors, and cops than I could ever be.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It would be good of the weak link (court system, judges, bleeding heart juries) would take a stand and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law instead of giving so many a break which they have already had anyway.
Too many people are soft on things like this.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am a member of ABATE for over 15 years, (A brotherhood aimed towards education).

They have a very strong lobby in my state.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts