GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles a day I can expect to ride and see things in these states. We have ridden 500+ miles a day with no problems but that was going to Colorado so I wonder how many mile with the twisty roads I can easily do in a day 300 or 400? Thanks.
Also would like to know if in July you need to book rooms ahead or you can find rooms?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I don't think that you'll have a problem doing 300-400 miles a day, but it depends on how much you want to see. I-80 or the PA Turnpike will get you across PA, but you won't see much from either. 6N will also get you across the state, but you probably won't want to do 400 miles. I-79 will get you north and south, again at close to interstate speed, but rt 19 will get you alot better scenery, but will cut back on your miles per. Anything in particular that you want to see? I wouldn't make reservations for anything in W. PA unless you are coming during a special event~lots of rooms everywhere in our area. If I can help, shoot me a pm

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I have ridden the Southern Appalachian Mountains a number of times and this area has become a choice destination for our vacation. Most importantly you should purchase a map from MadMaps.com of the area I mentioned above. Although not exactly what you had mentioned, I'm giving you an example of my experience.

This map has highlighted routes in different color that describes how long each loop is and what to see along the way. You could combine one or several loops on each day's ride. A must when touring this area.

On my last trip there I rode from NJ down PA and toured WV, eastern KY, eastern TN, northwest NC, northern GA and southwest VA. I rode for 5,000 miles in 2 1/2 weeks. Depending on the weather, some days I rode 300+ miles and on others a bit less. The main reason for my going to this part of the US was to ride those magnificantly, twisty roads.

I never make reservation ahead of time as this is too stressful for me to make those motels on those specific days. I never had a problem finding a room, but I stopped no later than 5 or 5:30 in the late afternoon. I was on the road by 7:00 am and somedays earlier, depending on the excitement level awaiting me on specific roads.

I hope that this will help you and above all enjoy your trip.

Mike

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
We spent nearly a week in KY last August and didn't put more than 150 miles a day on the bike until we headed home. We were there to relax, see the sights and enjoy some great roads. For us, enjoying the roads also includes enjoying the scenery around them. This was a MUCH needed getaway and probably our best trip so far.

I think if you're just looking to crank out a bunch of miles on twisties, all you're going to see is the road.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to go see Fallingwater and they aren't open on Wed and I an leaving the Jasper In area on Monday so it's push to get there by Tues to see it so decided to go on to Gettysburg first and then come back later in the week so I can ride without pushing it. I know I will need a room reserved in Gettysburg but wonder about the rest of the trip through West VA, thanks for the posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I would recommend getting reservations. Most of the small towns have motels but they are questionable. The regular chains are pretty much along the interstate. If there are events then everything is booked. In northern WVA there has been so much construction work going on that the motels have been pretty full Mon. through Fri. I have had problems finding rooms for my crews although I believe that may start to slow down. For instance up in the Mon. national forest there have been a bunch of guys from Texas and Minn. working on the windmill farm.Morgantown is always busy as there is a new power plant being built plus another large job on two other plants. Years ago we got stuck down in the Carolinas and couldn't get a room and ended up going all night. Since then my wife insists on reservations. I make them each night for the next night and it has worked out pretty good. As far as how many miles to plan for that depends. If you take the two lane I would figure on 250-300. Not much traffic but the curves will wear you out. The best roads around northern WV are just on curve after another. Seventy five miles of that and you will be ready to get off and walk a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts