GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

New here and have several questions. First. I was planning on buying either a new GL, or a 2006-8 clean nice bike soon. Well things change, my son lost his job, his wife was cut to half time, and I'm making their house payment now. He is working but at a temp job for $9/hour, thus we are family and he's a great son, smart/hard working and all. My daughter is in medical as my daughter-in-law, and her salaray was reduced 5%, but at least she is working full time although on call 5 days a week, so we have the two granddaughters alot, while her husband is rehabbing from rotator cuff surgery. I only post this, so you understand and don't suggest buying new, unless I can find NEW for the price I'm looking for.

I still want to buy, but have to reduce what my wants are vs. their needs. I guess I'll be looking infor 2001-200? in the $8-12k range now and be happy with that and can always upgrade down the road when the economy picks up.

The Big Questions:
How many miles on a decent well taken care of GL1800 should I stay under? Under 50k miles, 75k miles. I'm sure at some point, maintenance and replacing wear things occur. Not sure how the engines and trannies hold up, but have well very well. I'm very mechanical, old farm kid here, do all of my work on our cars, tractors, small engines, etc.

Anything other than wobble, crashed bikes, dropped bikes, etc. to watch out for?

I have not ridden in almost 20 years, raising the kids, educations, marriages, grandkids and all. I had three Honda's from age 18 on, a 350, 450, 750 and then Triumph. I loved them all, but need some soft riding now at 58. I'm 6'2", 230 pounds, solid as rock, but my six pack dropped to a pony.

Any particular GL seats that are not comfortable for someone my size.

I really appreciate any ideas/suggestions you present. I respect everyone opinion, and you won't irritate me in the least way with your comments. Your honesty and experience is appreciated.

Thanks again and I really enjoy reading this forum. :confused:

Greg

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I don't have enough experience with the GL1800 to answer your question but would like to take this opportunity to suggest you invest $150 and go take a MSF Beginner Riders Course. Then after about 1000 miles on your wing go drop $50 bucks and take an experienced riders course which is taken on your own motorcycle.

I know you have ridden but a tune up is always a good thing. The BRC is taken on 250 cc school bikes and while you might think there is nothing to learn I suggest that by the end of the two day course you will be challenged and come away with some new ideas and techniques.

I have had couple of experienced riders in BRC course I've taught. One was there court ordered and one was returning to riding after a long break. The court ordered guy was angry and actually a pain in the class until he figured out he was going to have to work to successfully complete the range exercises.

I spoke to the guy taking it for a refresher during a classroom break the first day because he looked bored. I promised him that if he hung in there he would be challenged by the end of the course. He came to me after graduation with a big grin on his face and told me I was right.

Good luck on your quest for a GL and good on ya for taking care of your family!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Greg....welcome to the forum! You have alot of things going on in your life and I hope they all turn out for the best.

Wings are very durable and I don't think that there is a magic number where they begin to fall apart. Some of the early models had some recall issues, but most have been taken care of. Alot of good deals pop in the classified section of this forum, and there are a couple pretty decent deals on there right now. Once you have a couple prospect deals lined up, I would jump back on here a get some specific recommendations. Lots of great info here:lol:

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
The Key words there "well taken care of" . . .

I would not be afraid of any Goldwing, regardless of the miles on the odometer if it was taken care of by the previous owner.

Course, if they did not change the oil, or did not check things over, I would be leary of a 10,000 mile bike!

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Do you have a good mechanic you can trust? Whatever you find ,have him/her go over the bike and check it out for you before you buy. Also ask for maintenance records from the owner.
Some keep detailed records, Other just say, Oh I did everything by the book, but have no proof.

Be aware of the Frame crack/recall years.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i see no reason to buy one over 20,000 miles,unless the deal is to good to pass on,jmho

·
Registered
747 Posts
I agree with trying to stay with low mileage and under warranty. The rub is that they are nearly the cost of a new one. For me I like to buy them new and take care of them so they will last with a minimum of maintenance. You could purchase a new bike with a longer term financing so your payments are as low as the used bike you are considering. Also new vehicles usually come with a lower interest rate on financing thereby making the payment closer to the used bike.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The motor is almost bomb proof. Many wings and valks have over 100,000 miles on them, and are running fine. Go with what you can afford. Sounds like you are a decent wrench, old farm kid like me. If can find a decent one, go back into mid 90's. There are good 80's bikes out there too. Get the price down. You can always upgrade when finances allow.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Give these guys a call. http://www.tbafaribault.com/Home_Page.php
I would really try and get an ABS bike, available on all years of the GL1800. They usually run $1000 more than non ABS.
An 06 or newer gets you the latest improved frame, improved cooling, ECM, premium stereo and the option of the comfort package, NAV and airbag.
On the early ones frame cracking is a safety issue and Honda has taken care of welding or replacement.
There are vast numbers of owners of the early GL1800s that have had no issues.
I wouldn’t be afraid of a well maintained 150,000 mile bike. I would probably pass on one with 200,000 miles (unless it was orange). Mine has 40k+ and I have never seen an engine as clean on the inside as this one. Trailsman recently bought a nice 05 with 80,000(?)miles and has an excellent bike.
I bought mine with cash and was planning on trading every year. Now that I finally have it set up the way I want, I’m going to wait to see what the new model looks like. When I do sell mine, I am going to offer it with the extended warranty (till 2014). Even though mine will be high mileage, the warrantee should be attractive.
You can pick up a new trike take off rear end for $100 which a lot of folks change out at 100k.
$500 in parts will take care of brakes, fluids, plugs, air cleaner, Fred’s DVDs, and a fork rebuild with springs
I would suggest trying highway pegs before spending money for a seat.
Accessories on a used bike are worth virtually nothing. If you are selling, you are better off uninstalling them and selling them separately. If you do find a bike set up the way you want, then the accessories are worth something to you because you would be buying those anyway.
I bought mine in the fall of ’07 after the kids were through college. It is a great source of relaxation for me and my wife. I probably could have afforded a well used one 15 years and in hindsight should have bought one then. Remember; it is life and you only go around once.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I believe Honda has a financing special going on right now. For 2009 bikes is 3.99%. If you can find a new 08 or even a new 07, they are offering .99% That may be a way for you to get into a new bike with lower payments. Guess it all depends what you want to pay and for how long. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I wouldn't look strictly at mileage. One of the worst things you can do is let a vehicle sit unattended for long periods. I'd look for one with at least an average of 6k/annual. Hopefully all the mileage wasn't done in one year and then it sat around for the next xx years but asking questions should give you a good idea.

I personnally wouldn't look at any Wing older than an '05. I just wouldn't want to deal with the frame cracking issues that appear to plague the Wings built prior to the '05 model year. That may not bother you but something you should be aware of.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Greg, it is good to hear you are able to help your Family and come together at this time.
As far as the bike goes, I would buy as new as you can and maybe some help from the bank. I'm at 99,438 on my '04. Been running like a top. So watch for good deals on new and used in the spring, and get ready to have some fun. You will have to buy a few different helmets as everyone will want to take a ride with you. Good Therapy for all.:cool:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for ideas

Hey Folks, thanks much. Great suggestions and who can ever think of everything, right.

I was not completely honest, as I have rode my sons RoadStar a little each summer. So guess, my balance is still ok. Still a long ways from a GL weight wise and handling I'm sure.

Now to cut and paste all your ideas into one document, so I can refresh my memory. Seems I don't remember everything any more.

Again, appreciate the help immensely.

greg

·
Registered
249 Posts
Welcome, Greg. You might look at the for sale portion of this board (http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21). On the first couple of pages there are some decent deals worth looking over. I found my 2005 there two years ago and love it. If you do pull the trigger you may want to change that WannaBeGL1800 handle. :-D

Good Luck with the Wing decision and all the other things you have going on.

·
Registered
21,094 Posts
seems to be lots of good deals out there lately, new and used

how much riding do u plan to do ?

whatever u decide good luck !

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
i see no reason to buy one over 20,000 miles,unless the deal is to good to pass on,jmho
Oh wow, that eliminates a heck of a lot of potentially great Goldwings that could be wonderful bikes to own and ride. Whether it's 20,000 - 30,000 or 50,000 or even more, if the bike is well taken care of and the current owner can show me a log of their maintenance and what/when they did things, the Goldwing might be a great buy and investment. Those miles are nothing in the grand scheme of things for a Wing and I dare say that most well taken care of GL1800's will last far far longer than their current and even subsequent owners are ever going to ride them. I have several friends that have 1800's above 200,000 miles and they are going strong and going a heck of a lot more miles. I have over 150,000 miles and I'm going to be riding and traveling on my Wing for a number of years.

Look around and investigate any good looking well taken care of 1800 and you might have a potential great bike even if it has more than 20,000 miles. I did that in about 7 months after I bought my Wing and it sure served me well for far far after that.

DaleC

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Oh wow, that eliminates a heck of a lot of potentially great Goldwings that could be wonderful bikes to own and ride. Whether it's 20,000 - 30,000 or 50,000 or even more, if the bike is well taken care of and the current owner can show me a log of their maintenance and what/when they did things, the Goldwing might be a great buy and investment. Those miles are nothing in the grand scheme of things for a Wing and I dare say that most well taken care of GL1800's will last far far longer than their current and even subsequent owners are ever going to ride them. I have several friends that have 1800's above 200,000 miles and they are going strong and going a heck of a lot more miles. I have over 150,000 miles and I'm going to be riding and traveling on my Wing for a number of years.

Look around and investigate any good looking well taken care of 1800 and you might have a potential great bike even if it has more than 20,000 miles. I did that in about 7 months after I bought my Wing and it sure served me well for far far after that.

DaleC
not for some one able to read being i said unless a great deal comes along......also meaning ive been looking and there are plenty with under 20k so why buy a higher milage one?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
For what it's worth, I've own four Goldwings, and the one I own now is the only one that I bought new.

My first was a '76 that was ten years old when I bought it, then came an '81, followed by an '82 that was ten years old, and I rode it with no major trouble for another ten years. On the first two, the bikes had changed hands so many times, there was no telling, other than appearance, how they'd been cared for.

As long as you watch out for the major warning signs, you should do okay. The way things are going, I imagine my next Wing will be a used one, but I don't see me even thinking about replacing my current ride for several years yet!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Never be afraid of low mileage, In nov I bought an 04 with 4000 miles, it was like new, I put 4000 miles since and hasn't used a drop of oil. Everything else is like new, $12200. right at the top of your limit, I'm sure you can find a deal like this.

·
Registered
19,387 Posts
I have a higher mileage wing and although it rides as well as new and handles better than new with the addition of Traxxion the higher mileage lessens its value where it is worth more to me to keep than to sell whe Honda comes out with a new wing model. That being said I would say look for 25K or less.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts