GL1800Riders Forums banner

how many miles do you go between gas fill ups?

• 125-150

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 150-175

• 175-200

• 200-225

• 225-250

• 250-275

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question before on the Tech area , but I'm going to try it here with some more choices and see what happens. Thanks :wink:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I actually had my low fuel light come on at 118 miles once... was in Montana, very strong headwind, and I was making very good time :wink:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
low fuel light

IB Mike said:
I actually had my low fuel light come on at 118 miles once... was in Montana, very strong headwind, and I was making very good time :wink:
Mike, you must have been making VERY good time!! I crossed a part of I-8 in south Ca. last year in 111 degree temps and was running 95-100 to keep cool and get the heck out of there, and was very surprised that the mileage went WAY down. I didn't do that for long. :lol:

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
worst MPG ever on my 02 was 31, was attempting to do 180 miles on a 2 lane hwy in under 2 hours. Too windy took 2 hours and 5 minutes but still was an interesting ride.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
whom ever gets over that 225 mark, what kind of gas do you burn. cause the gas we get dont run like that

also what % of speedo error do you figure, mine runs about 4 % high--so 100 miles on the bike is about 96 actaul miles

loren

·
Registered
762 Posts
On a typical day (temperature doesn't matter, but headwind does; on a typical day headwind is low), I can expect to see at least 400km (247 miles) (uncorrected) between fillups. I've bought at all kinds of stations and don't see a pattern of better gas mileage with any particular brand. However, I usually buy from Sunoco locally because their gas has the least sulphur which seems to minimize the noxious smell that sometimes occurs with high-sulphur gas. I always buy the lowest octane available (usually 87).

Elevation does matter. Most of my riding is done at or near sea level. My best mileage was last October in the Smokies when I got 44.4 mpg.

Arthur

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
ya we get 200+ miles out of a tank, it depends??? I'm I going to the in-laws or coming home

BWHAHAHAHAHAH

·
Registered
676 Posts
I ran a test last year and posted on the old board but will repeat results here for newbies. Question for me was how far will bike run after low fuel light comes on. This has happened for me anywhere between 150 and 230 miles.
I strapped a spare 1 gal tank of gas to rear seat and took off. Low fuel light came on at 205 miles. I continued at 65 mph on level freeway reversing direction several times to cancel wind effect. At about 260 miles the bike began to run a little rough. Not a miss but more like a lean condition that wanted to over rev. I pulled off at next exit and stopped at gas station. Trip meter sat on 265 miles or 60 since low fuel light came on and I never used the spare fuel.
Since this test I routinely run 40 +/- miles at moderate speed into reserve without carrying extra fuel when I know for sure where the next gas station is located.
Hope this info is of help to some of you.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I've seen 308 miles from a tank on a GL1800... of course, that was on the Blue Ridge Parkway...

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm always in the low 200's, but I find that I get better mileage when I ride 2-up. I have reasoned that it is because I tend to ride less aggressive with the wife on the back. Most expensive speed limiter I've ever seen.
:?

·
Registered
152 Posts
MPG

I have that same problem with the speed limiter. I get much better mileage when I have a passenger. Overall averaging about 42.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mileage

Get about 225/ tank

however, I love making my GW happy........ got to juice the throttle and get away from the HD Noise sometimes :twisted: ........ kicks my J&M's on

Besides, its hard to change my fax paper when the HD's are making all that noise. :D :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts