GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say I had a blast in daytona. You wouldn't believe how many BLACK wings we saw there. There were a lot more 1800's there than you might of thought and a lot more younger people on them.
Back to my post. I thought it was interesting on the Harley forum in the TOURING SECTION theres a guy asking (how far can you go ? ). Hes grumbling about his ....well you know. It get's sore. VIBRATION . And he's asking about the distance other VIBRATION Harley riders travel before stopping and VIBRATION takes a break. The answers VIBRATION were funny and VIBRATION interesting. So I thought I would ask the same question here.
How far do you ride before the old rump is sore and you have to take a break ?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Actually, I find that my most pressing need to stop for a break is my legs. When we are out on longer rides, my wife and I need to stop about every 2 hours to stretch our legs to give our muscles something different to do. It also gives us an opportunity to partake of a little hydration, and possibly to give a little back... :lol:

Kirk

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can ride all day and only stop for gas and meals if wanted. Comfort is just that, I don't feel any discomfort when I ride my wing.

My daily distance is 300 to 500 miles on a comfortable ride. I'd have to say that the type of road traveled is really the determining factor.

·
Registered
730 Posts
G-Funk:::::::How long to you travel before you need a break????? You never said.....I take it you must drive a harley and you are looking to see how long a gold wing rider can go ???????
Riding 2 up and riding a long run we can and do ride till we need to refuel than take a break....

·
Registered
164 Posts
With the bad back and knees I have about a one hour limit before having to stop and stretch. Actually in this my HD was more comfortable as I could stretch my legs out better and it was not as cramped as the wing. I do love the smoothness of the wing much better however. So for me it is a wash and I am still a short ride cripple. :lol:

Marc

·
Registered
589 Posts
On a long distance ride I usually have one or two stops between fill-ups. I'm thinking of getting another seat to help with this problem. I have a stock seat and am wondering what an aftermarket seat will do to help with this problem. So I'll start another thread to get that info.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I'm good for about two hours in the saddle at first, but my endurance drops as the day goes on.

·
Registered
548 Posts
i done 700 miles in about 11 hours only stopping for gas on my gl1500 which i can not do on my gl1800 as the stock seat is crap. i prefered the gl1500 seat.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Bulldog said:
When the little light comes on with a GAS pump on it, Illuminates.

Bulldog
You might see that a couple of times when you ride out to my place next July!!!!!!

I like to stop about every 100 miles or so -- all depends upon the scenery, temperatures, and how my back is doing!

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
when its time to get somewhere, thenits about 30 miles after the light comes on

when were just going nowhere , then its everytime there something to look at, or a good bbq joint,

i have pretty much made the bike quite comfy for me

i just added to our range when laura is along

i bought her a hartco seat for her valkyrie interstate

its nice on the butt, compared to the stocker

·
Registered
977 Posts
Either, from Pee to Pee or E to E?!!

A couple of times, I've ridden 650 miles, in one day, but, I'm ready to quit, then. If, I rode those distances on a more frequent basis, I'm certain my stamina for them would be better.

When I know that I'll be riding 100+ continuous miles, I use a seat cushion, at the outset, to minimize being such a 'sore a$$'; especially, when riding consecutive days.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
i have never had to stop because of a sore butt on any motorcycle, the 1800 wing is the most comfortable motorcycle i have ever riden, lots of times ride tank to tank but usually stop for a nature call after a couple hours, i enjoy the ride and ALL the challenges that come with it

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
196 miles is the longest stretch I've done...about 2.5hrs or so...was perfectly comfortable, bee-boppin along listening to tunes on my XM radio through the headsets

Had to stop for fuel :cry:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dive Master said:
When My wife says i gotta pee.

I can relate... :roll:

My wife starts to poke my back and says "Can you stop at the next rest area" and I say "you went 15 minutes ago..." she says" you shouldn't stop for water so often" I say "I'm thirsty..." she says ".......and so on..."... :chatter:

Then it's... :duck:

Then.. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I've gone through one full tank of gas before I stopped and didn't even dismount when I filled up. I then went through the second full tank before I actually got off the bike (I had to drain another tank :oops: ). I'm sure that's no kind of record. They're built to ride.

On the flip side, a friend of mind has a Road King and rode it from Fort Wayne, IN to Las Vegas, NV and back in four days! That's 4300 miles he logged. I'm not sure I'd have wanted to have made that trip with him even in a car. :roll:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts