GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before the season started I replaced the front tire on my wing (2010 ROADSMITH TRIKE) W/ A brand new Avon "trike tire".. after only 12,000 miles I see the wear bars, showing...
I ride the speed limit, not a hot dog'rr what's so ever.... nether words I totally baby my bike.....................Does this sound like premature tire wear or natural wear & tear?? :surprise:

Thank you!

Ronnie

I do ride highway (65-70 mph) often
I also ride back roads (35-40 mph) often

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I've not run that tire but I've not heard of many people getting much more out of it. I do know Avon claimed 15,000 minimum, however that claim went away fast. Myself I run a Pilot Active tire on mine and have never gotten less than 20,000 out of one but have never worn one to the wear bars either because of going on a planned trip with only a couple thousand left on it and just put on a new one so I wouldn't face changing it on the road. My front does get "lumpy" toward the end of it's life. I don't run beads or anything of the like so that could rectify the "lumpy" part I don't know.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't know how trike mileage compares to non-trike, but I have gone through many Cobras now on my '08 airbag. 12,000 miles is great. The new Cobra Chromes are definitely getting significantly more miles than the regular Cobras did.

Before the season started I replaced the front tire on my wing (2010 ROADSMITH TRIKE) W/ A brand new Avon "trike tire".. after only 12,000 miles I see the wear bars, showing...
I ride the speed limit, not a hot dog'rr what's so ever.... nether words I totally baby my bike.....................Does this sound like premature tire wear or natural wear & tear?? /forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png

Thank you!

Ronnie

·
Registered
413 Posts
Currently 13,000+ and no bars yet. However, I am not usually the peg dragging type, but there are occasions!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I ran several of the original Cobra Trike tires. All were in the range of 16-18000 miles with 18000 as the best.
Now running my first Cobra Chrome Trike tire. Currently at 23000 miles with a way to go yet. Seems to have been improved considerably.
For comparison: the Bridgestone that came on the the 17 Wing—————————-5800 miles
Dunlop E4 tried on the 17 Wing because of reports of good mileage -——————10000 miles
Just a guess, but judging by your post you are likely running a low pressure that is cutting your mileage.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
I ride the speed limit, not a hot dog'rr what's so ever.... nether words I totally baby my bike.....................Does this sound like premature tire wear or natural wear & tear?? :surprise:

Thank you!

Ronnie

8k to12k

·
Registered
5,908 Posts

Thank you!

Ronnie

8k to12k for me

·
Registered
496 Posts
Seem lots of Goldwing Trikes run the BattlAx and get 25,000+ miles on them. We are currently running a rear Dunlap on my wife's Valkyrie Interstate Trike. Over half the Goldwing trikes at Wingding a few years ago had the BattlAx on them.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I'm almost 12,000 on my 709, not on a trike of course.

·
Registered
702 Posts
--

20,000, but about 3/32" tread left in the middle. That's for a BT45 rear 130/70H18 on the front, not trike.

--

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Maybe your trike is carrying too much weight :wink2:.

I usually have to replace my front tire between 10k and 12k miles and I'm a lightweight (on this forum) who rides solo.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe your trike is carrying too much weight :wink2:.

I usually have to replace my front tire between 10k and 12k miles and I'm a lightweight (on this forum) who rides solo.
No, it a stock Roadsmith model and I weight only 170 lbs, and never carry any passengers (wife does not ride :crying:)

Ronnie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts