GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy Red Bull and I installed new tires on my Wing yesterday. Both of us working together had the wheels dismounted in fifteen minutes and just a tad longer to remount on the bike. We take the wheels into our local dealership who does the tire mounting and balancing for us.

Anyway, the reason for the post is that I'm always amazed at how nice the bike feels with a new set of tires. I got just over 16k out of my last set. They were pretty much done. I regularly check tire pressure, and inspect them frequently but I noticed that during the last 1500 miles, the rear tire started to wear very quickly and unevenly (dealer suspected that the tire started to become unbalanced).

So from now on (and I know I've said it before) I won't wait as long to change tires. The ride is sooooo much better and safer with good rubber under the bike. I figure the newer rubber contributes to better gas mileage and the savings will help offset the price of the tires. I've proved to myself that I can milk a set of tires for all they're worth (and I know others have gotten way more miles from a set of tires than me), but I realize now that it's not worth it. The way my ride feels right now is just too nice!!

So how many miles do you usually get out of a set of tires?

Ride safe!:yes::yes::yes:

Greg

·
Registered
352 Posts
Tire Life

This is my first wing and I have 11K miles on it. The dealer asked me the other day how I was getting such good tire life as the tires still look real good. Keep up on pressures and no hard riding I suppose. Jim

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
tires

14,000 on Dunlop 250's (changed before a trip, could have gone another 1-2 thou)
20,000 on Dunlop E3's - again changed before a long trip, could have gone another couple of thou, rear tire was cupped, but still lots of tread.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had my original 250's replaced at 20,000 miles. I could have went longer but the bike was in the shop for transmission rebuild so I had the dealer install E3's.
The E3's lasted 22,000 miles.
Most of my miles are freeway riding to and from work.

·
Registered
725 Posts
two sets of D250's seperated at 12,000
two set of D E3's went 18,000
I am now Double Dark I have 25,000+ on the rear Uniroyal Tiger Paw and 5,000+ on the Bridgestone Battlax 45 rear motorcycle tire on the front of the GL1800 Goldwing. See signature for PSI in each tire.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
less then 6000 miles on every set of tires I put on my 1800 thats why I switched to a car tire and a bias ply Michelin on front.

So far I'm at 8000 miles and they look like maybe they will go 10 or 12000.. We'll see!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Coming up on 12000 on the OEM tires and probably have another thousand or so miles. I've begun looking for new tires as they'll need to be changed within the next month or so. Front shows some cupping but I keep the tire pressure within spec.

·
Registered
866 Posts
My tire history

FRONT
D250----8306 Rear tire cut out of town. Replaced both. Early replacement
D250----9783
D250----9699
D250----9557
E3-------9413
EX709---11306
EX709---10490
ME880---8515
E3--------? Currently at 3000
REAR
D250----8306 Rear tire cut out of town. Replaced both. Early replacement
D250----9783
D251/70-7695
D250----11561
E3-------9413
EX704---8368 Bald
EX704---5518
EX704---7910
ME880---8515
E3--------? Currently at 3000
I've attached picture of the bald Bridgestone. The tire looked ok at the beginning of a 250 mile ride.
Yes, the tread was real thin but I certainly didn't think this would have happened.
So I do believe the tires do wear faster at the end of their lifetime.

·
Love The DCT
11,393 Posts
So how many miles do you usually get out of a set of tires?

Ride safe!:yes::yes::yes:

Greg
Tire mileage is highly variable and depends on many factors. For me it depends on how many twisties I ride and how hard I brake and twist the right wrist. :p

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
My wild rule of thumb; 12-14,000 on fronts/ 16-18,000 on rear tire. My Avon rear broke a bead/wrap? and only lasted 8,000 miles. Front end wobbled big time! Kept looking at tires and running hand on one side of the rear tire. Other side was the broken side. Lesson learned, check tires from "both" sides.

·
Registered
165 Posts
had mine for 3 years and never saw more than 6000 miles on my tyres, just having too much fun;), new bike now so will check what i get with this one:twisted:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I've burned up three sets of D250s on my bike (see signature).

Fronts averaged 17,600 miles per tire.

Rears averaged 18,700 miles per tire.

I travel 2-up and ride about 5-7 hmph above the posted speed limits.

I ride very little interstate.

Bike typically carrying 465-470 lbs (we're working on reducing the overload).

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think some of you must rarely ever touch your throttle. I've gotten 14 or 15k out of a front tire, but never as much as 9k on a rear. The car tire I have on the rear now has 11k and might give me 1 or 2k more. I do like the throttle though. The most I ever got on a set was actually the OEM dunlops. Rain was a killer though. I can ride in any weather now (minus snow and ice) and have good traction.

·
Registered
212 Posts
D250 tire mileage

On my '08 I replaced the first rear tire at 21,500, and the second at 38,720 due to belt separation.

I replaced the front at 24,165, and anticipate replacing it again at my 48K service.

Constantly checking air pressures seems to be a big factor in determining mileage, as is riding style.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
I think some of you must rarely ever touch your throttle. I've gotten 14 or 15k out of a front tire, but never as much as 9k on a rear.
+1, but there are many factors other than throttle. Stop & go or twisties where speed adjustment is often and necessary verses 6,000 miles on the super slab when you only click off the cruise to slow down to exit.... makes a big difference.

I abhor highways and map any riding I do to avoid them. I get around 10K on the rear 'stone 709 and was surprised to get 16K out of the front Bridgestone 704 (I might have those numbers backwards but the front is the new number). Little cupping up front - I think the new front is much better. Looking at the pic of the cords showing - same thing happened to me. Tire looked like it had a few more miles on it, but I only rode to my son's house and back, 50 miles total - cords!

Anyway, the reason for the post is that I'm always amazed at how nice the bike feels with a new set of tires. <snip>
So from now on (and I know I've said it before) I won't wait as long to change tires. The ride is sooooo much better and safer with good rubber under the bike. Greg
Yup. I luv that new tire feel too. Take off the square rear tire and replace with a nice new round one. Bike feels "alive" again!

:popcorn:

·
Registered
566 Posts
I got about 15K out of two sets of D250's. I currently have E3's with 16K on them, and it looks like they will go another 5K. The rear tire is cupped and howls like a banchee when I turn...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have 73000 km (45000 miles) on my 06 loaded wing. I have $15000 worth of accessories on it and put more on today. I am on my 7th set of tires.

1st - Dunlops 250s - 5000km (Warranty replaced)
2nd - Dunlops 250s - 12000km
3rd - Elite 3s - 13000km
4th - Metzlers - 3000km (Warranty Replaced. Half the tire (one side front and rear worn out bald while othe side like new.)
5th - Dunlop 250s - 14000km had to take them cause there was no E3s available.
6th - Elite 3s - 16000km - nitrogen and inflated to 44lbs front and rear
7th - Elite 3s - 10000km and still going

I will be replacing them in the next 5000km or less and am looking at Bridgestones or Avons. Haven't decided yet.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts