GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my front tire and checked the front brake pads while I
had the wheel off and the pads are shot on both sides at 36,000 miles.

I was wondering about the rest of you

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I'm putting new ones on the front at 17,000 miles. The rear pads will probably last until around the 25,000 mile mark.

The replacement pads will be OE Honda.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I have 36000 on original pads.Don't use them much,brakes that is.They cause you to slow down to much. :D :D :D :D
Mick :yw1:

PS Will be changing them in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
On my '01 I Replaced the left front at 37,579 and the right front at 50,431.
The rear still has 25% left. I ride two up all the time and I guess I don't brake much as I usually drag the pegs in the corners.

:yw1:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Brake Pads

Replaced mine at 35000. Front ones had about 20 and 30 percent left, back ones had about 80 percent left. New ones (Honda OEM) are the noisiest brake pads I have ever heard. Rear ones sounds like a brake drum lathe mounted on a 55 gallon drum, amplified, and hooked to a kettle drum. Front ones are a little better, but not much. And it has not gotten any better in the last 2000 miles. The original ones were quiet, even when new.

Did I mention the new ones were not quiet?.........

Bet the next set will NOT be Honda brand..... I'd like something quiet, maybe made by Catapillar, John Deere, even Harley.......

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
I have about 30,000 on mine and they are getting real thin. I might have 1/16" left on both fronts. The rears look like new.

I have had them stinking quite a few times! :D

How thick are the OEM pads when new?

TIA....

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Red...

at 1/16 inch thick, you are right. They are gone.

They start out about a quarter of an inch thick.

With my replacements, I should get a lot more mileage.
Its because I shiver when I apply them and have
to listen to the grinding noise. So, I don't use them
as much.

Did I mention they make a lot of racket???????

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Re: Brake Pads

IR Harry said:
Rear ones sounds like a brake drum lathe mounted on a 55 gallon drum, amplified, and hooked to a kettle drum.
It sounds to me like you have a 2001 Wing with an original rear rotor... a known problem that is only fixed by a new rotor.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
You are right....

Correct - an 01 wing (#2774), all original

Same rotor, only change was the pads.

Did not know there was a rotor problem.

I'll be checking on it tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up.

Harry

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Red said:
How thick are the OEM pads when new?
4mm thick for fronts (Honda OE pads). I've been told that the rears have even more than 4mm on them.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
50,000 on the 01 original pads never changed. 44,000 on my 02 and plan to change pads at next tire change which I hope is close to 20,000 away.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
48,075 miles and the original pads look like new. You mean you guys really use those things? Hey, this bike was made to go, not stop....

Maybe at 100,000,

DaleC

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
53k on my '01 and still the originals

·
Registered
469 Posts
Brake pads

I changed th front pads at 28,500 & agin at 66,000. Changed th rear pads at 47,000. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
939 Posts
42,000 on my 02. Will check them again when doing winter maintenance.
I guess winter may be a good thing. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to stay off my bike long enough to do those necessary things.

·
Registered
819 Posts
39,000 on my 2001 I haven't looked at the brake pads yet because they have been working just fine but I do have a set of new ones laying around here somewhere to use if or when I need them. I did have the rear rotor changed under warranty. :D

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I changed the original fronts at 45K mark with pad still left. Changed again at 95K. I use the EBC's, and I am pleased with performance and value. My rear was changed at 32K by Honda under warranty, and I am still running these pads. When I change my next rear tire, I will change the rear pads. This motorcycle has the most engine braking of any two wheeler I have ever owned. Also, I have over 30K trailer miles on these brakes.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
01, 100,000 miles

·
Registered
14 Posts
Brake pad mileage

I just replaced all 3 sets of pads last weekend at 44,000 miles. The left front pads were totally gone, shocked me. The rights were a little over 1/2 gone. The rear pads were about 90% gone. I put the OEM back on got them from HDL during the last sale.
Could there be something wrong with the way the front pads wear different?

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Re: Brake pad mileage

02OrangeRush said:
I just replaced all 3 sets of pads last weekend at 44,000 miles. The left front pads were totally gone, shocked me. The rights were a little over 1/2 gone. The rear pads were about 90% gone. I put the OEM back on got them from HDL during the last sale.
Could there be something wrong with the way the front pads wear different?
Nothing wrong with the wear rate on the front pads. That's what you're going to see with linked braking. The left pair can wear faster.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts