GL1800Riders Forums banner

How many miles out of your brake pads

4K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  Paul Long 
#1 ·
I was changing my front tire and checked the front brake pads while I
had the wheel off and the pads are shot on both sides at 36,000 miles.

I was wondering about the rest of you

#2 ·
I'm putting new ones on the front at 17,000 miles. The rear pads will probably last until around the 25,000 mile mark.

The replacement pads will be OE Honda.

#3 ·
I have 36000 on original pads.Don't use them much,brakes that is.They cause you to slow down to much. :D :D :D :D
Mick :yw1:

PS Will be changing them in a couple of weeks.

#4 ·
On my '01 I Replaced the left front at 37,579 and the right front at 50,431.
The rear still has 25% left. I ride two up all the time and I guess I don't brake much as I usually drag the pegs in the corners.

:yw1:

#5 ·
Brake Pads

Replaced mine at 35000. Front ones had about 20 and 30 percent left, back ones had about 80 percent left. New ones (Honda OEM) are the noisiest brake pads I have ever heard. Rear ones sounds like a brake drum lathe mounted on a 55 gallon drum, amplified, and hooked to a kettle drum. Front ones are a little better, but not much. And it has not gotten any better in the last 2000 miles. The original ones were quiet, even when new.

Did I mention the new ones were not quiet?.........

Bet the next set will NOT be Honda brand..... I'd like something quiet, maybe made by Catapillar, John Deere, even Harley.......

#8 ·
Red...

at 1/16 inch thick, you are right. They are gone.

They start out about a quarter of an inch thick.

With my replacements, I should get a lot more mileage.
Its because I shiver when I apply them and have
to listen to the grinding noise. So, I don't use them
as much.

Did I mention they make a lot of racket???????

#10 ·
You are right....

Correct - an 01 wing (#2774), all original

Same rotor, only change was the pads.

Did not know there was a rotor problem.

I'll be checking on it tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up.

Harry

#11 ·
Red said:
How thick are the OEM pads when new?
4mm thick for fronts (Honda OE pads). I've been told that the rears have even more than 4mm on them.

#17 ·
39,000 on my 2001 I haven't looked at the brake pads yet because they have been working just fine but I do have a set of new ones laying around here somewhere to use if or when I need them. I did have the rear rotor changed under warranty. :D

#18 ·
I changed the original fronts at 45K mark with pad still left. Changed again at 95K. I use the EBC's, and I am pleased with performance and value. My rear was changed at 32K by Honda under warranty, and I am still running these pads. When I change my next rear tire, I will change the rear pads. This motorcycle has the most engine braking of any two wheeler I have ever owned. Also, I have over 30K trailer miles on these brakes.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
01, 100,000 miles

#19 ·
Brake pad mileage

I just replaced all 3 sets of pads last weekend at 44,000 miles. The left front pads were totally gone, shocked me. The rights were a little over 1/2 gone. The rear pads were about 90% gone. I put the OEM back on got them from HDL during the last sale.
Could there be something wrong with the way the front pads wear different?

#20 ·
Re: Brake pad mileage

02OrangeRush said:
I just replaced all 3 sets of pads last weekend at 44,000 miles. The left front pads were totally gone, shocked me. The rights were a little over 1/2 gone. The rear pads were about 90% gone. I put the OEM back on got them from HDL during the last sale.
Nothing wrong with the wear rate on the front pads. That's what you're going to see with linked braking. The left pair can wear faster.

#21 ·
Re: Brake pad mileage

02OrangeRush said:
My guess is that you're a little heavier on the foot brake and not so heavy on the hand brake... is that right?

#22 ·
Changed the front pads at 55,000 smiles, checked the rear and they had about 75% left. Honda's rear pad is thicker than the fronts. Aftermarket pads are the same thickness all the way around.

#23 ·
Brake Pads and Frame Repair

I have 48,500 miles on my first set of brake pads and they are still looking good on my 2003 GL1800. I bought a spare set for when I need to change them. However, I took my bike in for the ECM and frame welding. I was supposed to get it back today but was told they found a crack and had taken pictures and sent them to Honda. I am not sure what they are going to do but I need my bike because my wife and I love to ride. Has anyone had a frame that was cracked and if so, what did they do about it?
Thanks, Bobb

#24 ·
Re: Brake Pads and Frame Repair

Bobb said:
... I was supposed to get it back today but was told they found a crack and had taken pictures and sent them to Honda. I am not sure what they are going to do but I need my bike because my wife and I love to ride. Has anyone had a frame that was cracked and if so, what did they do about it?
Thanks, Bobb
Hopefully, it will go back to Marysville and get a complete new frame. I believe that's what has happened in the recent past when cracks have been found.

The normal reweld is for bikes that are in the recall range but do not show evidence of cracks. Be patient, because it's going to take a little longer but will be best in the long run.

:D

#26 ·
At 29,000, I just replaced mine today. The fronts were pretty well GONE. Not metal to metal, but getting close. The rears were still in good shape, but I replaced them anyway. A good deal of my riding is in the Texas Hill Country. Not quite Deal's Gap, but the ride can be a bit exciting out there!
Both sets of the front brakes were pretty well evenly worn, unlike what I have been reading about other folks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.