GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1-1/2 years ago, my weight finally reached a threshold at 300 pounds. At 61 years old with high blood pressure and over-weight I knew I was writing my own death warrant and had to do something. Did you ever do anything in life that really had a profound affect on you to the point where you suddenly feel like you had another lease on life? Well I did, when after 1-1/2 years of no junk food and 5 or 6 DR. Peppers every day.
One of the things that I didn't think was going to help that much is, riding a bicycle again. I haven't been on a bicycle in probably 50 years. The old say about, "it like riding a bicycle, you never forget how to do it." It absolutely amazing how much better I feel now that I'm now down to 205 pounds and ride a bicycle almost every day permitting the weather is decent. I've also been away from the message board for a while. A piece of shrapnel from Vietnam finally worked it way near some major nerves and kept me from riding the Wing. VA Hospital in Dallas performed a fairly risky operation to remove a small piece of metal about half the size of a pencil eraser. It took 40 years to finally get rid of that aggravation.

The main reason for this message is for those that may be having a struggle losing weight. Thanks for listening.

Dane, formally Kikker

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
:congrats: Dane!
Glad to hear you lost weight, & the shrapnel. I haven't told anyone here, but I'm on the raod to losing weight as well. On Feb. 23rd., I weighed 310 lbs. As of this morning, I'm at 293lbs. 17 pounds in 19 days isn't too bad. I'm doing it with 2 Slim~Fast shakes a day, & one small meal. I figure around 1,200 to 1,300 calories a day. Do I get hungry? Heck yes I do. But if I'm dead, I won't feel anything. I'm sure our Goldwing will appreciate the lighter load. I really don't have a particular goal, but I deffinatly want to get under 250lbs. Wish me luck guys! Oh, as for riding a bike, I think I'll stick to a Goldwing. Too many hills to climb around here, without those extra CC's between my legs.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
:congrats: to both of you. I got my bicycle out this week.Two years ago I was ridding 100 miles a week and felt and looked better. :cool::cool:

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Congratulations on your weight lose.

Why doesn't weight come off as easy as it goes on?
I have my annual exam with the saw bones next month,
So I'll hear the:
Doc: "Mike, ya got'a lose that weight"................ :beer8: :eat2:

Me: "But doc my weight is perfect, I just need to get taller." :thumbup:

BTW....Up until a couple years ago I did a lot of bike riding and will get back on it this spring.

I still claim bike riding at a young age makes us better motorcycle riders.
We learn the art of balance which is hard for some people.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Good post i also ride a bicyle mostly commute to work been riding for many years its sure is addictive and fun watch out for those cars :22yikes: i do only about 500 to 600 miles a year i own a giant hybrid with 27 gears

CHEERS :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I ride most every day between April and beginning of November. Current ride is a clunky Trek MB, which is ill suited for a sprint triathlon....My new ride is gonna be something along these lines...

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
congratulations taking charge of your life !
last summer i rode bicycle almost every day, its fun,practical and easier than lots of folks think
after about a month of riding almost everyday the improved health is very noticeable and the riding gets a whole lot more fun

·
Registered
120 Posts
Congratulation, keep up the good work.

I too took up bike riding, with a few modifications. I put larger tires on for better traction, added a wind shield for wind protection, since my knees are bad I put an inline six on the frame, (traded 21 gears for 5), added some electronics. I now enjoy biking as I never did before.:joke::joke::joke::joke::joke:

H

·
0 Posts
I have talked about my health problems on here a few times. I came pretty close to killing myself by not watching anything. It all caught up with me December 1, 2007. Left me in the hospital for a month and rehab for two months. I have done everything they have asked of me. Lost 75 pounds so far and was at 203 this week. 25 more to go. I ride a bike but don't do it as much as I could as I spend so much time at the hospital gym doing all of the Cardio stuff that they have me on. Just don't have enough hours in the day. But I just got a big thumbs up from the kidney doctor as my kidney function has increased by 8%. Still a long way to go but it could have gone the other way as I was already a Stage 3 chronic kidney failure. The heart doctor did all of the blood tests and says my arteries are really clean now. Cholesterol readings were as good as she had seen in a while on any patient. And she says I won't need another chemical stress test this year.

Its all good and congrats on your progress. Now just make sure you keep it off.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Until about 7 years ago I rode 200 to 300+ miles a week, which often included a 100 mile ride on Saturdays. 40+ miles round trip to work everyday. Then, I just stopped. Now I'm overweight and miserable. I'm trying to lose weight and hopefully when I get some of this lard off I'll feel like getting back on my Trek road bike (Trek biker, get it?) Thanks for the encouragement.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
after I retired 10 yrs ago I started biking primarily just for a little exercise, but quickly caught the bug. I fell in love with high end bikes - currently have 2 Tour de France quality road bikes, an all titanium frame mtn bike and a mix of 3 other bikes for various purposes. Great fun and wonderful for weight and geneal health control...although I have to (embarrassingly) admit to riding so much I aggravate my hemorrhoids (which I never had prior to taking up cycling). A few years ago I was logging about 5-7,000 miles a year, but I've slowed down quite a bit of late. I miss it.

Fortunately, the Denver metro area has a wonderful network of multi-use trails so I seldom had to actually venture out on public streets. My worst (and only serious crash) happened while mtn biking. I was hurrying down a mtn trying to beat the next wave of severe thunderstorms that were blowing up over the CO mtns. Crashed hard and broke my clavicle (complete separation) and bruised some ribs. Had to then hike out 5 miles over rough sloppy/slippery terrain in a downpour, occassional hail and temps in 50s (dropped 30degrees in 45 minutes).

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm new at this and hope the attachment works.

As years pass, comfort trumps just about everything. I weld these up and gear them to climb the garage wall. Not speedy but I can stay on the road all day.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yea,i have one hanging in my garage paid $1`000 for it a few years ago if i can get the dust off it i might start riding again

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I consider the Bicycle much more dangerous than my motorcycle.

I used to commute to work every day since my first career gainful employment on a Bicycle from 40 below to 100 above until 1998. That day a car hit me while I was on the sidewalk.

I have one accident on my Motorcycle after more than 30 years of riding, last year a curb darted out in front of me <sigh>.

On the bicycle, I can not even count the total number of accidents and incidents, but notably three of which could have snuffed me. The incident noted above, side swiped by a car that left the scene, and clothes-lined and skidding to a halt with my hand trapped under the drop bar (lost enough blood to go unconscious). Other less fatal attempts on my life in the pile, some my fault I must admit but only a subset, but after the last one I repaired my trusty '89 $2K Fischer Hybrid one last time and have had it hanging from the garage ceiling ever since.

Until August last year when I shut the building down, I instead ran 6 miles at least twice a week on my lunch break. My new employer does not have a shower, so I walk 1 hour every lunch break (so as not to sweat as much).

My Cholesterol was 450 (normal <200), Triglycerides were 1823 (normal <86) and my good/bad ratio was 15:1 (normal <3:1) after I stopped cycling and before I started running as my cardio; so exercise is a genetic necessity for me (as is Lipitor). I am at 150, 80 and 1.8:1 right now if you care, but I am sure a few months off the regimen will return me to the 'bad' numbers.

One day, maybe I will return to cycling, but will need a different climate, a different season and a town that is at least somewhat cycle friendly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I use to ride 100 miles a week, 50 on Saturday and 25 twice during the week. I lost interest and that is when I got back into motorcycling. I slowly started putting on the weight and now I am 25 lb over what I was when cycling. I plan to start back this spring. I miss the feeling of being in shape and hate to see this big gut I have grown. Somehow twisting the wrist doesn't take the weight off like pedaling all day. Yes, I feel safer riding my motor vs. being passed by the cars. It's dangerous out there no matter what you ride.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Dane, A seat from a trike or a exercise bike

will make riding easer to bare. Large seat.

Do not ask how I know. :cool:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Rode bicycles my whole life, now 63, and since we have retired in So. TX ride most every day. Use it instead of the car for shopping and running errands, anything within 10 mi. or so of home. Have a flat bed trailer I pull behind for larger items and big grocery runs. I've got the exercise down, lift weights, walk, run, kayak fish and bike but can't quite get the eating down. I'm 244# and 5'11" and shrinking in height but not girth. I feel good and have alot of energy but I know I should be about 190#. Have gotten down to normal weight a few times in life but it always seems to come back +. Kind of given up on being normal weight and just work out alot. Guess we aren't going to live forever no matter what we do so might as well enjoy life.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I have been dieting for going on 6 weeks and have lost 23 lbs... I have cut out all junk food...all fast food...and been eating healthy... I'm on
CLA (Tonalin) , Re- Creation weight management , Vitamins ...and higher fiber/protien diet...Did a 30 day cleanse , just finished the other day....and on a light testosterone boost...green tea pills...and Flaxseed Oil YUK !!!! but for the first time in 20 yrs.. I really feel great , I have went down 2 pant sizes...my shirts fit sooooo much better... and the wifey likes, Ahhh hem...:thumbup: Wanna spice things up...boost your tt's and you will feel ....great again. Talk to your Dr.

I bought a Giant bike several years ago... it is totally awesome.. I need to knock the dust off it... doing so will expedite my wieght loss ...plus with
my seeming extra energy...I feel like I need to burn it off.

I want to loose 35 more lbs and I believe I will see my 6 pack again or a silouette that I had when I was in the Army...thats my goal.

Here is the bike I purchased..... I was up to 20 miles per day, 5 days a week .

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hey Dane, Way to go. Have you rode Oklahoma Freewheel yet. (Info at www.okfreewheel.com/) Angel rode it 5-6 times before we were married in 2001. We have done it 3 times since then but age and health problems have pretty much curtailed our serious bike riding. In 2003 we rode from Bradenton to Coffeeville Kansas on recumbents. Rode to Dennison Tx and picked up Oklahoma Freewheel for the rest of the ride to Coffeeville.

We did good until we hit the hills of East Texas. We would be struggling up hills at 3 mph (we were pulling little trailers and self contained on the trip) and motorcycles would come buy us at 65-70 mph waving. There was a HOG Rally in Tyler that the Harley's were riding to. I told Angel that we were on the wrong two-wheel vehicles and when we got home we took the safety course and I bought my 03 wing. Angel got a 650 Burgman Scooter and we put 30K miles on them before we went the Trike route.

PS. Where in Oklahoma do you live? We both grew up in NE Okla and went to a little rural high school (Colcord in Delaware County) and graduated from high school in 55.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
How many of you currently ride a bicycle?

A what?????:lol:

Mark

1 - 20 of 55 Posts