GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you probably know I recently bought a GW that I'm having shipped to me. The dealership I'm buying the bike from recommended a couple of shippers they have used in the past, and I've been getting online quotes from other companies. There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in price between any of them, so which one I choose will come down to reputation, whether they provide enough insurance to cover the bike during transport, and I would guess choosing a company that only ships motorcycles would be preferable to those that ship many different items. Do any of you have any experience with this, and are there shippers you would recommend to use, or those to stay away from? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
If it was spring time, I would offer to ride and deliver it to you. It is about 1000 miles from me to you.

$150 plane ticket home
$50 gas
$100 hotel

I have heard others have good experience with UShip

Btw: I should be able to go see it tomorrow or Wednesday

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I shipped my wing from New Mexico to Minnesota. Used Haulbikes.com They only ship bikes. No probrems at all. Bike arrived in great shape

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have used Haulbikes several times in the past. No issues. Always about 3 weeks from pickup to delivery with no damage
In November I purchased a 2018 GL from a forum member in VA. I contracted HaulBikes to ship it to Colorado for me.
The bike was picked up a week later then promised. It has now been in transit for 5 weeks and Haulbikes refuses to give me an ETA. If it wasn't winter and I didn't have other bikes to ride I'd be very pissed. They said unusually high demand is causing the delay.
Sold a CBR1100XX to a guy in California. He hired Uship. A guy with a F350 dually showed up to pick it up. It wasn't fun loading that bike under his camper shell. The bike did get there undamaged and on time.

As for insurance I paid a little extra to get 20,000 in coverage. The previous owner has been kind enough to keep his insurance active as well.

UPDATE: Haulbikes will be delivering soon. They are backed up because of high demand. That is pretty much true of anything being shipped lately

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was spring time, I would offer to ride and deliver it to you. It is about 1000 miles from me to you.

$150 plane ticket home
$50 gas
$100 hotel

I have heard others have good experience with UShip

Btw: I should be able to go see it tomorrow or Wednesday
If it was spring time I'd ride it back myself. Thanks for the offer though. Make sure you take your phone with you when you ride it in case you get stuck in the mud on some off-road trail! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
51 Posts
As you probably know I recently bought a GW that I'm having shipped to me. The dealership I'm buying the bike from recommended a couple of shippers they have used in the past, and I've been getting online quotes from other companies. There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in price between any of them, so which one I choose will come down to reputation, whether they provide enough insurance to cover the bike during transport, and I would guess choosing a company that only ships motorcycles would be preferable to those that ship many different items. Do any of you have any experience with this, and are there shippers you would recommend to use, or those to stay away from? Thanks.
I’ve heard good things about a company that ships pianos and also motorcycles. Can’t remember the name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Everything needing delivery is screwed up.

I have used Haulbikes several times in the past. No issues. Always about 3 weeks from pickup to delivery with no damage
In November I purchased a 2018 GL from a forum member in VA. I contracted HaulBikes to ship it to Colorado for me.
The bike was picked up a week later then promised. It has now been in transit for 5 weeks and Haulbikes refuses to give me an ETA. If it wasn't winter and I didn't have other bikes to ride I'd be very pissed. They said unusually high demand is causing the delay.
Sold a CBR1100XX to a guy in California. He hired Uship. A guy with a F350 dually showed up to pick it up. It wasn't fun loading that bike under his camper shell. The bike did get there undamaged and on time.

As for insurance I paid a little extra to get 20,000 in coverage. The previous owner has been kind enough to keep his insurance active as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I shipped my bike from upstate NY to Tacoma WA two years ago - @$750 using Federal Motorcycle Transport. Picked bike up at my house. Bike got there on time w/ no issues but.....it wasnt a "motorcycle only" transport. Picked up in a standard freight truck with pallets and other cargo. They did have a custom pallet that the bike goes on. It was standard freight, went to nearest distribution center and just like all the other freight transferred to a vehicle going west. Probably saw the inside of three or four trucks.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Motorcycle shipper's 1(800)730-3151

Used this company when I was with Uncle John at a darkside rally in VA. and I had a seizure and had to be helecopter'd to a hospital.............. motorcycle and trailer perfect condition when returned to me on time.............

Ronnie

·
Registered
465 Posts
Be careful with these shipper some of them due a switch on you. You sign with one company and they ship to a point and give it to another and you end up paying more than your quote.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Motorcycle shipper's 1(800)730-3151

Used this company when I was with Uncle John at a darkside rally in VA. and I had a seizure and had to be helecopter'd to a hospital.............. motorcycle and trailer perfect condition when returned to me on time.............

Ronnie
Sorry to hear about your seizure. I hope you're better now...

·
Registered
103 Posts
just be careful if you ship . how they tie it down. they need to tie to crash bars noting to handlebars

otherwise potential problem with bearings

·
Registered
177 Posts
It never occurred to me to purchase a bike I couldn't see in person and drive away. How does that work? if issues arise how do they get resolved ?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've purchased 3 bikes and sold 3 bikes sight unseen with no issues. All private party sales. You are counting on the seller being honest. In this internet age high rez pics and video are easy to share. On the forums, search the sellers past logs and see if they appear to be a straight shooter.

Personally I Never did a long distance dealer purchase. In fact I think only one of my 29 bike purchases was for my first and last brand new bike from a dealer back in 1982. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from a dealer if the right deal came up.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Sorry to hear about your seizure. I hope you're better now...
O' I thank you, I'm back to normal again, (Thank God for medication) and when in season, I still love to ride

Ronnie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts