GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used them on my previous bikes, and they made the batteries last a long time. However, I don't know how difficult it is to get to the battery on the Wing. I don't even know where it's located.

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
I've used them on my previous bikes, and they made the batteries last a long time. However, I don't know how difficult it is to get to the battery on the Wing. I don't even know where it's located.
Battery located on left hand side of the bike. Open left saddlebag, removed the cover located just forward of the saddlebage and you will see the battery. (Refer to page 152 in the owner's manual.)

I have an Optimate 3 charger/maintainer hooked up when bike is being stored for the winter.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Left side. Open the left saddlebag and remove the side cover. I installed the BT quick connect. Just don’t route the wiring down the battery hold down as I believe it will rub against the side cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Battery is on left side in front of the saddlebag. You can access it by opening the saddlebag and pulling out on the panel. There are rubber grommets . No tools needed. Might be good to put some lube on the grommets before re installing as they come out easier. You can hook a battery tender lead up so you don't have to remove the panel to charge in the future.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I always used one on my Harleys and I just got the BT dongle put on the Wing yesterday while it was at the dealer to have some accessories installed. Plugged it in last night for the first time and the bike will be plugged in when it's not being ridden. Here is where they put it - easy to access, easy to tuck away for riding. I think it definitely helped with battery life for the Harleys, so I'm continuing the practice with the Wing.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I've used one since 2000 on my Kawi, and have used it since today on both of my 2002 and 2010 Wings .........BEST money spent ever

Ronnie

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have always used one on the wing. Six years on the 2012 and now 3 years on the 2018. I leave it connected continuously during the winter months. In summer I ride often enough not to need it. I have not had to replace the battery on either wing.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I used 2 battery tenders, both lasted about 5-6 years during winter, But with my last Tender, I had my battery on tender ( 3year old battery ) A couple of years ago, I took the tender off in Spring and the battery was not charged, It ran quickly down while starting, So now I just bring my battery in the house at the end of the riding season and charge it and leave it in the basement for the 4-5 months, then put it back into the bike in the spring, Might be a little inconvenient, But a piece of mind, in case the tender goes bad!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I used 2 battery tenders, both lasted about 5-6 years during winter, But with my last Tender, I had my battery on tender ( 3year old battery ) A couple of years ago, I took the tender off in Spring and the battery was not charged, It ran quickly down while starting, So now I just bring my battery in the house at the end of the riding season and charge it and leave it in the basement for the 4-5 months, then put it back into the bike in the spring, Might be a little inconvenient, But a piece of mind, in case the tender goes bad!
No riding for 4 to 5 months? Too bad. I would lose my mind. I am in NY and maybe I lose 2 to 4 weeks depending on how bad the winter is.

Chuck

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a "12" wing with the original battery. The bike is stored in my shed for the winter. No electric and no charger. Have not had a problem in the spring when it is time to ride. I did the same with my 1500 when I had it.

Reactions: yellowrex

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,553 Posts
I keep my bikes on a tender when parked year round..only take seconds to plug it in, so why not.
20201004_141300.jpg

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have my ride on a battery tender December through March

·
Registered
16,978 Posts
Grampi?!?!?! Read your MOM and buy Fred's video access. Be careful in removing the left side panel just in front of the hard case. You may benefit from placing a patch of blue painter's tape on the matt black surface just below the front of that side panal because it is easy to scratch that. When putting the panel back on put a little dib of silicone paste, or Valeline, or spit on the three rubber grommets and the install will go much easier and more secure. There may be some free YouTubes showing removal of the side panel. I will provide link to Max's. If you tape the scratch prone areas you WILL NOT get the scratches and I can remove mine without the taping and still avoid scratches as the panels on this bike are quite flexible.

I use Deltran Jr. models on my cycles, I route the fused pigail as shown in a post above. This year Santa gave me a NoCo Genoius 1 and adapter to allow its use with the Deltran pigtail I have in place. This little unit seems to work very well too.

prs

Reactions: tclhb

·
Registered
19,244 Posts
I use the BATTERY TENDER brand. South Texas so no multi days of winter. I use it if I don't ride the bike for more than 7+ days, which is rare

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have one battery tender and two bikes. I switch them every now and then as I think about it. Works well for me.

·
Registered
16,978 Posts
1 - 20 of 61 Posts