GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I have a battery tender pig tail on everything. My 2018 "ST" wing has one at the rear hole in the side cover as well as one through the seat (easy use for passenger heated gear and phone charging while riding). My 2010 has one in the left trunk corner pocket (also for passenger heat & charging) and the cord can easily run out of the pocket behind the door on the lower outside corner. My M50 ust sticks out from under the side cover because there is not a good place to tuck it out of sight. My car has one coming out of the grill near the battery and anchored down inside to not rip off or break the grill if I forget to unplug it and drive away. My Tailwind has a connector plug and wire that I use inside to connect the "lighter outlet" directly to the always hot accessory wire in the trailer lights wiring and another adapter at the tongue for my 6 square trailer plug to the SAE 2 wire tender plug. Trailer and car stay plugged into Tender until used. The Tender for the wings switch back and forth according to which one was not last ridden and M50 has a 1.5w solar always plugged in. I tried to use the solar on my car, but with alarm being armed, it only extends battery life of non-use from a month to 2 or three months. I use one of the solar ones on the trailer when on the road and trailer sits for a while. Also, all of my solar chargers have been correctly wired to not blow fuses and/or kill the batter because they are all wired backwards with the battery + having the exposed side of the plug.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Grampi?!?!?! Read your MOM and buy Fred's video access. Be careful in removing the left side panel just in front of the hard case. You may benefit from placing a patch of blue painter's tape on the matt black surface just below the front of that side panal because it is easy to scratch that. When putting the panel back on put a little dib of silicone paste, or Valeline, or spit on the three rubber grommets and the install will go much easier and more secure. There may be some free YouTubes showing removal of the side panel. I will provide link to Max's. If you tape the scratch prone areas you WILL NOT get the scratches and I can remove mine without the taping and still avoid scratches as the panels on this bike are quite flexible.

I use Deltran Jr. models on my cycles, I route the fused pigail as shown in a post above. This year Santa gave me a NoCo Genoius 1 and adapter to allow its use with the Deltran pigtail I have in place. This little unit seems to work very well too.

prs
Nice tip. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
No riding for 4 to 5 months? Too bad. I would lose my mind. I am in NY and maybe I lose 2 to 4 weeks depending on how bad the winter is.

Chuck
I Lose every year 6 to 7 months here in Canada. :LOL:o_O In a 10 degrees heated garage. I use a Junior Tender every year on my st1300, my wife cbf1000 and now my GW2018 from november to mai and my bike start as a new.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Step 1 - do it.
Step 2 - make darn sure you turn the knob to the left to turn off the bike.
Step3 - next turn that same round knob to the left and hold it until you hear three beep sounds.
Yes, I just replaced a battery not doing step 3 it appears.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a battery tender connected to my BRAIN! Without it, I may not wake up in the AM--Food for thought amigos! Ride Hard Live Free.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I’ve used battery tenders on and off for many years. Living in the southeast I never actually put my bike in storage and literally ride year around. But when we have cold snaps it only takes a second to plug it in, I actually have an outlet mounted on the bike so it very easy. Cold is hard on batteries, so I’ll plug it in just to keep the battery at its peak. I question if it actually makes any real difference, but I do it anyhow - maybe it’s one of those “feel good” things!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I use an Optimate 3 that I hook up every time I get off the bike and park it in the garage. I use a Battery Tender brand on my Cub Cadet lawn tractor. My poor F-150 is parked out in the elements so it does not get the battery tender treatment though I'm looking into my options (maybe one of those shelters). I get to ride year round with a few exceptions when really bad cold fronts come through. For those, I have bought heated gear just in case I have to get out on the bike (for my mental health).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Step 1 - do it.
Step 2 - make darn sure you turn the knob to the left to turn off the bike.
Step3 - next turn that same round knob to the left and hold it until you hear three beep sounds.
Yes, I just replaced a battery not doing step 3 it appears.
Why does the knob need to be turned to the left twice? Why not just do steps 1 and 3?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I guess my next question is, does the battery need to be removed to install the plug for the tender? Also, I'm assuming the wires will need to be disconnected from the batter in order to install the plug. Does this necessitate resetting, or re-initiating anything?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I guess my next question is, does the battery need to be removed to install the plug for the tender? Also, I'm assuming the wires will need to be disconnected from the batter in order to install the plug. Does this necessitate resetting, or re-initiating anything?
If you are careful, you can connect the wires without disconnecting the battery cables.
five minute job.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
878 Posts
Why does the knob need to be turned to the left twice? Why not just do steps 1 and 3?
If you hear the locking mechanism - you KNOW it's off. It's like hitting the "door lock" button your wife's car remote (no real winger owns their own car, right? It's always the wife's car...:giggle:) and hearing it "beep/chirp" in confirmation. Turning left once is enough; twice is a guarantee that it worked.

I guess it's like the old military saying: two is one and one is none. Two quick turns to the left and you KNOW the bike is turned off - as the bike provides audible confirmation. And at a plus side, it's locked as well, making it harder for people to roll it around.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I have four tenders on the four bikes we have... I can go months between riding sometimes, the CBR may sit for over 6 months without being started... but I only plug them in when I anticipate a prolonged period of not riding them.

I use to have a Ford Excursion I rarely used... kept it on a tender as well. But, if you ride at least once a month, you shouldn't need to place it on a tender. Those who ride weekly or essentially daily certainly don't need to. I am surprised how many folks say they ride almost daily and still put it on a tender at night... that seems rather pointless.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,554 Posts
I always just turn the switch to the left once..then turn the handlebars to the left and lock the steering...so I guess I'm turning the switch twice...but I've never had any issues with just turning the switch once to shut down the bike if I didn't want to lock the steering.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I always just turn the switch to the left once..then turn the handlebars to the left and lock the steering...so I guess I'm turning the switch twice...but I've never had any issues with just turning the switch once to shut down the bike if I didn't want to lock the steering.
That's the impression I got...turning the knob to the left once turns off the ignition, turning even further left locks the steering...of course these are assumptions based on videos I've seen, I don't have my Wing yet...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have four tenders on the four bikes we have... I can go months between riding sometimes, the CBR may sit for over 6 months without being started... but I only plug them in when I anticipate a prolonged period of not riding them.

I use to have a Ford Excursion I rarely used... kept it on a tender as well. But, if you ride at least once a month, you shouldn't need to place it on a tender. Those who ride weekly or essentially daily certainly don't need to. I am surprised how many folks say they ride almost daily and still put it on a tender at night... that seems rather pointless.
I only use a tender if the vehicle isn't going to be used for extended periods of time...using one on a vehicle that's operated daily, or even weekly isn't necessary...

·
Registered
867 Posts
I always used one on my Harleys and I just got the BT dongle put on the Wing yesterday while it was at the dealer to have some accessories installed. Plugged it in last night for the first time and the bike will be plugged in when it's not being ridden. Here is where they put it - easy to access, easy to tuck away for riding. I think it definitely helped with battery life for the Harleys, so I'm continuing the practice with the Wing.

View attachment 377795

This is it. Just do this. Period.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Something else to consider: This Battery tender harness can double as a method to jump start the bike in the event of a weak battery. Though it can't handle BIG amperage for actual jump starting, it can handle enough to charge the battery on a lower amp setting in the event of an emergency. I recently used my 10 amp charger to do just this. Another note for jump starting: it's nearly impossible to get a "clamp" on the right side battery terminal. There's just no room. Be warned that this WILL be a problem if ever attempting to jump the battery on the 18+ wings.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Something else to consider: This Battery tender harness can double as a method to jump start the bike in the event of a weak battery. Though it can't handle BIG amperage for actual jump starting, it can handle enough to charge the battery on a lower amp setting in the event of an emergency. I recently used my 10 amp charger to do just this. Another note for jump starting: it's nearly impossible to get a "clamp" on the right side battery terminal. There's just no room. Be warned that this WILL be a problem if ever attempting to jump the battery on the 18+ wings.
That is true you can charge the battery it has a 15 amp fuse in the line.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts