GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Don't know if every battery tender harness has the same fuse or the same gauge wire, but mine handled 10 amps just fine.

Something else I thought of: they make a voltage meter or a USB outlet, or even a 12v power outlet... that will plug into this harness. Nice little items for keeping an eye on the battery's voltage or having a power outlet or second USB outlet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 18 wing came with the pigtail already installed. On the tender since end of Nov.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put a pigtail and extension on and brought it out by the rear intercom connector with a USB adapter. When riding my wife uses it to keep her phone charged and when back home just remove the USB and plug in the tender.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Left side. Open the left saddlebag and remove the side cover. I installed the BT quick connect. Just don’t route the wiring down the battery hold down as I believe it will rub against the side cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am likely the least mechanical member here and am a brand new wing owner. When you say don’t route the wiring down the battery, where do you route it. If anyone could mess this up it is me. Thank you.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I am likely the least mechanical member here and am a brand new wing owner. When you say don’t route the wiring down the battery, where do you route it. If anyone could mess this up it is me. Thank you.

I wouldn't be too sure about being the least mechanical member. I consider myself a # 2 mechanically. But, CHOCK FULL of COMMON sense. You think you're a # 1 ??

I don't know exactly what he means either. ................ and if it DOES rub against the side cover ?? ...................Really..................so what ??

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I've used them on my previous bikes, and they made the batteries last a long time. However, I don't know how difficult it is to get to the battery on the Wing. I don't even know where it's located.
Yes, I use one on my 2019 DCT Tour and before that, I used it on my '06 & '02. I also use one on my Camaro & golf cart that are mostly stored during the winter. Battery on the '19 is in the same place as the other GL1800's, behind the left side panel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've used my battery tender every day since 2007 with no problems. There have been multiple instances where I didn't ride my Trike for weeks at a time. I'm on the second battery for my 2005 Gold Wing MotorTrike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use a tender on mine over the winter months. Batteries are too expensive to let die and have to replace. I just run my cable up out the side cover up near the seat bolt For easy access and for plugging in my heated gear too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I wouldn't be too sure about being the least mechanical member. I consider myself a # 2 mechanically. But, CHOCK FULL of COMMON sense. You think you're a # 1 ??

I don't know exactly what he means either. ................ and if it DOES rub against the side cover ?? ...................Really..................so what ??
The battery is held in place by a metal strap with some sharp edges. As we all know, anything metal can wear through wires in a hurry. Zip tie wires as needed, or just route them away from that strap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With the increase of the electrical components, relays, control modules and such on the Goldwing, it is wise to keep the battery at a full charge so your alternator does not have to struggle, especially if the bike has not been ridden in some time. Some electrical components will act very strangely when they do not have full voltage running to them. If my bike sits for more than a week or I'm just running short grocery stops, I throw the trickle charger on it using a pigtail I installed on the bike to make it simple.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 2018 Goldwing has a AGM maintenance free battery. If you do some reading on AGM batteries they require a little different charging in order to keep longer battery life. Any trickle charger will work but you should use one made for AGM batteries. I use a C Tek MXS 5.0 which is good for motorcycles and cars and will do both standard lead acid(wet) and AGM batteries. Microprocessors can distinguish type of battery. I plug mine in year round when not riding. Come home plug it in, take a second both bike and truck. Batteries last a lot longer. I live in hot climate (W. Texas) and never had a problem. I first learned about C Tek from Jay Leno who uses them on all of his vehicles. Do some research before you decide what to buy. I've been riding almost 60 years and have always used trickle chargers from motorcycles, quads, SxS, boats, and tractors.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The 2018 Goldwing has a AGM maintenance free battery. If you do some reading on AGM batteries they require a little different charging in order to keep longer battery life. Any trickle charger will work but you should use one made for AGM batteries. I use a C Tek MXS 5.0 which is good for motorcycles and cars and will do both standard lead acid(wet) and AGM batteries. Microprocessors can distinguish type of battery. I plug mine in year round when not riding. Come home plug it in, take a second both bike and truck. Batteries last a lot longer. I live in hot climate (W. Texas) and never had a problem. I first learned about C Tek from Jay Leno who uses them on all of his vehicles. Do some research before you decide what to buy. I've been riding almost 60 years and have always used trickle chargers from motorcycles, quads, SxS, boats, and tractors.
This is from the description for the Battery Tender Plus 1.25A charger:
  • EXTENDED BATTERY LIFE: Compatible with lead-acid, flooded, and sealed maintenance-free batteries (AGM and gel cell). Ideal for use in long term storage, once connected the Battery Tender® Battery Charger manages your battery’s health on itR
Maybe there is something different between the C-Tek and the Battery Tender Plus, but is it enough to go out and replace a relatively new Battery Tender Plus unit with the C-Tek unit?. Oh, and according to C-Tek tech support, I would have to replace the Battery Tender dongle that is currently hooked up to my battery with theirs, as it contains "proprietary technology".

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've used my battery tender every day since 2007 with no problems. There have been multiple instances where I didn't ride my Trike for weeks at a time. I'm on the second battery for my 2005 Gold Wing MotorTrike.

WOW !!! You're the 2'nd guy that I've seen on this site that has gotten crazy life out of their battery. Hard to believe. I mean, I believe you, but that's great !!! I've been riding about 31 years now.
I preventively change my batteries ( on bikes ) every 4 years just to be safe. I MAY amend that going forward.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
I’ve used battery tenders on and off for many years. Living in the southeast I never actually put my bike in storage and literally ride year around. But when we have cold snaps it only takes a second to plug it in, I actually have an outlet mounted on the bike so it very easy. Cold is hard on batteries, so I’ll plug it in just to keep the battery at its peak. I question if it actually makes any real difference, but I do it anyhow - maybe it’s one of those “feel good” things!
Counter-intuitive, but heat is harder on batteries than cold.
Engines are harder to turn over when really really cold -- so that often helps identify weak batteries.
A healthy and charged battery wont' freeze and will be fine in the cold.

Storage info from the Yuasa (manufacturer of the OEM battery) for the battery type in the 1800:

AGM Batteries
  • Check voltage every 3 months (or more frequently if stored at higher temperatures as high temperatures cause higher self-discharge rates)
  • Periodically:
    • Keep top of battery clean
    • Check cables, clamps, and case for obvious damage or loose connections
    • Clean terminals and connectors as necessary
  • Recharge battery if voltage is below 12.4V.
  • Once activated, the battery is permanently sealed and must never be opened. There is no need to add water to AGM batteries. Adding water to AGM batteries will result in irreparable damage to the battery or the vehicle.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I’ve used battery tenders on and off for many years. Living in the southeast I never actually put my bike in storage and literally ride year around. But when we have cold snaps it only takes a second to plug it in, I actually have an outlet mounted on the bike so it very easy. Cold is hard on batteries, so I’ll plug it in just to keep the battery at its peak. I question if it actually makes any real difference, but I do it anyhow - maybe it’s one of those “feel good” things!

CraigBoy,

OF COURSE it makes a difference. I'm a # 2. So, I know very little about motorcycles and such things although I have been riding for over 30 years. But, as a proponent of COMMON sense, how could it ( using a tender ) NOT be beneficial ?? It can't. Keep using it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is from the description for the Battery Tender Plus 1.25A charger:
  • EXTENDED BATTERY LIFE: Compatible with lead-acid, flooded, and sealed maintenance-free batteries (AGM and gel cell). Ideal for use in long term storage, once connected the Battery Tender® Battery Charger manages your battery’s health on itR
Maybe there is something different between the C-Tek and the Battery Tender Plus, but is it enough to go out and replace a relatively new Battery Tender Plus unit with the C-Tek unit?. Oh, and according to C-Tek tech support, I would have to replace the Battery Tender dongle that is currently hooked up to my battery with theirs, as it contains "proprietary technology".
As long as it is a trickle charger, it won't hurt an AGM battery. AGM batteries like to be charged slow and low and it should have an automatic cut-off and start function on it for ease of use.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I added a cigar lighter socket just below the parking brake and a plug to my tender. After each ride a just plug it in and switch the battery tender on. I average 4 years of battery on all my bikes.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Battery Tender Plus
I have several, but have more 'batteries' than tenders, so they get moved around.

I usually top-up the wing batteries about every 6 or 8 weeks.

Only downside with them is they won't initiate the charge on a completely dead battery.
I have a 'dumb' trickle charger that I use to get one going so I can try and save those ones.
(I try not to make a habit of getting in that situation -- lets say it's for helping others....?)

I see some of the newer battery maintainer designs (NOCO has one, there are probably others) have a 'force' mode that overrides the battery sensing logic to so it 'jump start' the process when in the completely dead battery scenario, without needing a separate 'dumb' charging device.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
878 Posts
Counter-intuitive, but heat is harder on batteries than cold.
Engines are harder to turn over when really really cold -- so that often helps identify weak batteries.
A healthy and charged battery wont' freeze and will be fine in the cold.

Storage info from the Yuasa (manufacturer of the OEM battery) for the battery type in the 1800:

AGM Batteries
  • Check voltage every 3 months (or more frequently if stored at higher temperatures as high temperatures cause higher self-discharge rates)
  • Periodically:
    • Keep top of battery clean
    • Check cables, clamps, and case for obvious damage or loose connections
    • Clean terminals and connectors as necessary
  • Recharge battery if voltage is below 12.4V.
  • Once activated, the battery is permanently sealed and must never be opened. There is no need to add water to AGM batteries. Adding water to AGM batteries will result in irreparable damage to the battery or the vehicle.
Cold makes a battery sluggish, but it'll come back after it warms up

Heat kills them.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts