GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve heard so much talk about this oil and that oil. Mainly about Mobil 1, AMSOIL and a few other synthetic oils.

I thought I would ask the question, how many documented miles have you put on a Goldwing that you bought new with nothing but Honda oil and filters?

I have 211,000 documented miles on a 1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE that I can verify at a Honda dealer that has had nothing but Honda oil and filters used. Just for the record.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I use Amsoil oil and filters and have had very good results. You can order it from Bulldog here on this board..

Now, with that said, I'm going to fix me a big drum of popcorn and watch the show :yes: :yes: :yes:

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
You all just don't get it. The oil and filter are not the important parts, it's the crush washers. As long as you use a NEW one on each oil change for both the engine and rear drive you'll be okay.

Sorry about the hi-jack, but for some reason I just couldn't resisste. Besides IAB started it. And since he was going to get his popcorn for the entertainment, I thought I'd help him out. So this is all his fault.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Meanwhile, back at the original question, I currently have 43,000+ on an '02 that has seen nothing but Honda GN4 10W-40 and Honda filters. First change was at 2,000 miles, all since at 5,000 ( +/- 250 or so).

Good enough for Honda; Good enough for me.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
No, no, no...you must flush the engine with nitrogen at EVERY oil change...the nitrogen dispaces the oxygen and we all know that the oxygen causes the oil to undergo oxidative breakdown

Backt to the thread...I have only used Honda filters and either Honda oil or Bel Ray oil...my motorcycle runs just fine thank you!

·
Road Warrior
1,323 Posts
I have 146,000 on my 04. I only use the Honda filters. I have used the Mobil 1 15-50 since 3000 miles. The oil gets changed between 7000-and 10,000 miles, depending on when I get around to it or when I get back home.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Honda oils

I have had a VTX and now a Goldwing and both over 20,000 no trouble. I guess it all boils down to what makes you happy and satisified. I use syn blend 10 40 without molly

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
mine still has some of the original oil in it and the crush washer has never been changed

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Who makes Honda oil and filters? I'll bet you that Honda doesn't. Who makes HD oil? I'll bet HD doesn't. I use emco (I think that's the name) and Shell Rotella T; no problems here.

BTW, Citgo makes the oil for Farm & Fleet stores.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
What's a "crush washer" and what do they crush?
The only Honda oil or filter were the originals. Nothing but Mobile Full synthetic oil and Pure One filters. I get them for less, other wise I would stick with the Honda or what ever high quality product I would get for less. I change it when convenient around 5,000 miles, along with rear end.

G

·
My '03 with 26,000 on the OD, has seen nothing but Honda's oil and filter.

Don't care who makes oil and filters for Honda, as long as Honda honors my extended warrenty, I'll use their products.

Never was completly sold on synthetic oil.
Never heard any engine failing when using dino oil with using manufactures oil and filter change intervals.
Never believed in spending the extra $$ for synthetic.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Lucky Phil said:
Who makes Honda oil and filters? I'll bet you that Honda doesn't. Who makes HD oil? I'll bet HD doesn't. I use emco (I think that's the name) and Shell Rotella T; no problems here.
BTW, Citgo makes the oil for Farm & Fleet stores.
Hey Phil, you beat me to it.
I don't have proof, but a few years ago,
the local Honda dealer told me that "Honda oil" comes from
different suppliers and just because it's in the "Honda" bottle
doesn't mean it's the same oil you got in the last "Honda" bottle.
So, if that's true, running "Honda" oil for 5 or six years may mean you've
been running several different oils over that period.
Who knows! I do know one guy who has always bought "bulk oil" for all his vehicles
(something like 35 cents a quart) and has never had an engine problem in the 30 years I've known him.
I don't do that, but I wouldn't have a heart attack if I had to
use some Wal-Mart cheap stuff in a pinch.
I like the synthetics when I'm planning on keeping things
well into the six digit odometer readings.
DC

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Honda Oil in Australia is blended by Caltex.

Doesn't even say if its full or Semi synthetic.

My dealer uses Motul. Go figure.

Trev.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 15W-50 in all of my vehicles for many years with no oil related problem.

I have friend who uses the lowest priced oil he can find, seldom the same brand, in all of his vehicles and has never had an oil related problem. This includes his '05 GW and '04 Ford PU truck. I don't agree, but it is his Wing...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Mobil one 15-50 and Hal oil filter.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
KA7W said:
Auswing
You live on the bottom side of the world so everything is upside down.. Your oil has to be able to be pumped upside down.. We don't have that problem on top of the world !! Just like your tires have to be really really sticky to keep you from falling off the earth !!
JMHO 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Trev.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts