GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have Siblings or Children or Parents that also ride?

My Father used to ride after I first got on bikes (a Honda 360). As a kid I only ever remember him borrowing a bike for a short time and gave me a short ride on it (about 2 miles) other then that I only ever remember him having a old Wizard motorbike that never ran. He is now 80 But I took a old 1981 CM400C over to him to play with and to tinker with. It keeps him busy in his garage and makes him happy. But when I go over to visit he does drool on my bike wishing he had been able to ride more then he did.

My Brother in Law has quite a few dirt bikes that him and my Nephew ride but hasn't gotten his street bike out of mothballs in years. He has said how he would love to have a wing but to many other things are more pressing right now.

Out of 8 children only the youngest stepson has taken up riding. Right now he has a 650r Ninja. I offered His Fiance a ride on the Goldwing but she says it has to many buttons on it. :lol: At first She was against him getting a bike at all. He got it anyway and after a while she decided to let him take her for a ride. Now she loves to ride also. Maybe one day the wife and I can talk them into going for a ride but right now they don't want to ride with old people yet plus he is still looking at the bike as a cheaper form of transportation. :lol:

One Grandson shows some interest in the bike. He will sit on it BUT if I say if he wants a ride he says Maybe when I am bigger. So now when ever I see him I ask him if he is ready for a ride and he just says "I not bigger yet". He is only 4 years old right now but I am looking forward to the day that he is old enough to go for a ride on it. The other Grandkids are either not even interested or to young to even walk yet.

Teddyb3
aka Dan

·
Registered
780 Posts
My daughter who is 23 and in the Marine's rides when she comes home, my son who is 18 rides and my 11 year old daughter rides 4 wheelers and dirt bikes now so I am sure she will ride when she gets older. I just recently remarried and my wife took the MSF course and rides now also. We kind of make it family affair.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,621 Posts
I guess there are several in my family who ride. Besides myself there are the following:

Son, daughter before she had her first child, sister and her now deceased husband, her new boyfriend, my son-in -law, my neice, my nephew, my neices husband and 3 exbrother-in-laws.

Father rode till he married my mother, but I think he always missed it.

I will say most don't ride as much as I do. My son is probablly the closest but that is still a long way behind. I am guessing around10k per year. but on a sport bike. Nephew rides a sport bike, the rest are HD riders so only around 5k per year.

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
Taught my son and daughter how to ride when they were over 21 years old. I raced professionally for many years and quit when I got married. I was always afraid that if I taught them too young they might get hurt and I'd never forgive myself. Now my son rides every day and my daughter will be getting her own bike one day but rides on the back of her future husbands bike for now. Last year we had our first family bike w ride with my Blue Knights Chapter. That was memorable!

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Let's see now. Active are #1 son (36), #2 son (23 & on his own Wing) brother (Winger), 2 grand daughters, grand son, and myself. Retired from riding, dad.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Perhaps a more interesting response is the number of motorcycles my kids have in their garages/basements, which averages to about 5 per kid and ranges from a minimum of 2 to over 10.

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
I actually got back into riding because of my youngest son. We sold our bikes when the kids were young. (Too many other things to do and other responsibilities)
He bought a Ninja when he turned 18 and my wife and I went for a ride on it. We kinda looked like the trained bears on the bikes at the circus.:oops:
Now the family riders include, middle son, youngest son, my sister and her husband, oldest brother and both of his boys, and my other brother.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Myself (07 Wing), wife(retired 250 Rebel she would rather just enjoy riding), daughter (Metropolitan 50, she is learning), sister (750 Honda), brother(ST1300), nephew (rides a Hayabusa),Uncle (2001 Road King), Dad (retired 1997 1500 Wing), Uncle(retired 2003 1800 Wing)

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Me of course, my 3 sons all ride and have their own bikes, oldest rides a Victory Kingpin, 2ND son still rides his first bike, a Honda Shadow 750, youngest son rides a Kawasaki 1600 classic..and now the wife drives the Wing trike....
we all have taken trips together to the Smokey MT....what a blast- priceless!!!!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I am currently the only rider in the immediate family...

My Dad started riding MCs in 1970 taught me to ride in 72' around 7 yrs old...I'll never forget first time I rode in my grandparents hay field...For some reason everytime I road past dad he kept hollering SHIFT!!! SHIFT!!! LMAO :lol:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can relate to 07GoodLife's post. My wife could ride dirt bikes and we purchased a Honda Rebel thinking towards a MSF course. She decided that she would rather ride instead.:thumbup:

My daughter and son both road ATV's and dirt bikes. My Daughter (oldest child) passed MSF course and rode two years on a Ninja 250 so we took wife's Rebel and just traded it for used '08 Honda Areo to move my daughter into a bigger bike.
My son can't wait to get his learners permit to ride with us,:excited:since he now takes turns with his Mom being a passenger on the Wing.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My dad had a Harley 45 during WWII. I've been riding since age 16. My wife and two sons have licenses but only my younger son rides. He has a VTX 1800. Two of my brother ride. One has a GL1800. He and I go often on rides.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
My brother got an old 150 Dream when he was 16---Dad was not a Biker so at the age of 14, my brother was the one that got me into motorcycles---42 years later and 31 bikes later, still going strong--Praise God--out of 3 kids only my oldest son rides and has since he was 7 or 8--just took him my VTX1800C yesterday---am keeping the new Wing and Bonne---

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Me of course, my 3 sons all ride and have their own bikes, oldest rides a Victory Kingpin, 2ND son still rides his first bike, a Honda Shadow 750, youngest son rides a Kawasaki 1600 classic..and now the wife drives the Wing trike....
we all have taken trips together to the Smokey MT....what a blast- priceless!!!!

that must be nice

most families cant find anything in common, to do

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Oddly enough no one in my family except me has ever been into motorcycles. My children used to ride on the back of mine very occasionally and only for short trips. I think the appeal was only to make dad happy not the ride and they haven't ridden since nor do their spouses. Parents, grandparents, brother, sister, nieces, nephews, and 1st cousins have never even taken a ride.

·
Registered
419 Posts
We have 2 sons and the youngest has been riding since he was 8. He currently has a Sportster and recently added a Yamaha FZ6 which I'm guessing will become his #1 bike to take very soon. The older son rode before he was married, but, the wife has other ideas for him :rolleyes:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Brother (wing)
Nephew (wing)
Cousin Charles (wing)
Cousin Larry (wing)
Cousin Tim (wing)
Brother (Vulcan)
3 more second cousins that quit riding all had wings
Another second cousin that rode a BSA

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
8 Riders in the immediate family but not everyone has a bike right now.

Me (Wing, V-Rod)
Wife (Spyder and passenger on Wing and V-Rod)
Father-in-law (H-D Ultra)
Mother-in-law (Shadow Ace and passenger on Ultra)

3 Brother-in-laws and a Sister-in-law who are licensed but bikeless for one reason or another.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Me and my youngest step daughter are the only outlaws in my family.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts