GL1800Riders Forums banner

How many use N up, Direction of travel up, and 3D??

• North Up Majority of Time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Direct of Travel as UP Majority of time?

• 3D view majority of the time?

• Split 1/3 for each view?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, how many folks use the North up view on your GPS the majority of the time?

How many use "Direction of travel Up" the majority of the time?

OR How many use the "3D" view majority of the time?

Or do you switch between the 3 views?

Thanks,

Ken H>

A

·
0 Posts
I had a GPS with the 3D view. It was okay, but it just seemed something was missing. When I bought my 2610, I realized what I was missing. I know I will not be in the majority here, but I prefer the view from above.

I also prefer the direction of travel up on my screen.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I like the North up view because it is stable and easier for me to get the "big Picture" without having to orient to direction of travel. 3-D is a neat option, but not one that I find useful.

Steve

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
When I'm in an unknown area and following the GPS, the 3D view is much more intuitive. My previous bike GPS did not have a 3D view, and I turned the wrong direction on several occasions. The 3D view helps tremendously to avoid that. It is also great on some of these hairy exits and intersections.

North up view is really handy when planning and when trying to get the big picture of where we are.

Track up is only helpful in the airplane, not on the highway.

David M.
These are my opinions and I'm sticking to them. :)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I use track-up most of the time because it shows you the upcoming road profile as you will be seeing it, and more of it than you see in 3D view.

3D is a gimmick in my opinion. North up is nice for trip planning or for the 'big picture' view. It's also nice when you've planned your trip using paper maps to view the GPS data in the same format.

The nice thing is that with the iWay, it's so easy to switch views, you can change them quickly when you want a different look.

More useful, in my opinion is the zoom feature (which is why I left that icon on the main map page of my skins). The auto-zoom feature works very well, but there are times when you want a closeup view of the upcoming twisties. I press the scale button to take it out of autozoom and to my preset scale of 400' to see the upcoming profile. When I'm out of the twisties, one press of the button puts me back in autozoom mode again. That's a multi-menu process for the Garmins... ;)

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
This all may be true, BUT

The Garmins work! :wink:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jon, you have phrased my feelings so well on the difference of each view... I am still new at the IWAY 500C and still learning. I've used computer mapping with GPS for several yrs now with a notebook, Street Atlas, & GPS some, but mostly using marine charts - those are NICE!!! on a computer screen... Takes all the skills from nav work. No more standing in the cockpit taking bearings with a hand compass while entering a new harbor.

Thanks to all - it looks like about 60% use the Direction of travel as UP, this has held from 13 votes to the current 30 votes.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few days.

Ken H

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
When you're in an unknown area and viewing track up, how do you know which way to go in the confusing situations? Sometimes even the 3D view doesn't help much :).

For examples:
1. you're leaving a service station at a 5 road intersection and you're at 0 mph.
2. a 7 way interchange with cloverleaf exits over and under. Remember the song that says "If I can just get off the LA freeway, of course!" That place can be a nightmare. LOL
3. a tricky intersection at night with no streetlights
4. and of course, tunnels with intersections in them! I think that was in France - do we have any of those in the US? Pittsburg, maybe?

David M.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
David M. said:
4. and of course, tunnels with intersections in them! I think that was in France - do we have any of those in the US? Pittsburg, maybe?

David M.
Not sure the GPS would help in the tunnel anyway - all the GPS systems I have loose signal in tunnel...

43 votes - starting to get enough to get a real idea which folks actually use.

Ken H>

·
Registered
296 Posts
You're likely to get as many opinions as there are people who answer. I used North Up on my 2610, though switching was as easy as tapping the compass icon in the upper left corner. On my 2720, I have grown accustomed to the 3D Track Up view. Don't have to translate any left or right turns, especially in unfamiliar areas. Just bought an Acura MDX with Nav built-in, and it gives me both options as once - nice!

·
Registered
206 Posts
North up, always.

Garmin 276C doesn't have 3D, but if it did I wouldn't use it. I use 3D at times on a laptop when terrain is important. It isn't when I'm on the wing.

Carl

A

·
0 Posts
David M. said:
When you're in an unknown area and viewing track up, how do you know which way to go in the confusing situations? Sometimes even the 3D view doesn't help much :).

For examples:
1. you're leaving a service station at a 5 road intersection and you're at 0 mph.
2. a 7 way interchange with cloverleaf exits over and under. Remember the song that says "If I can just get off the LA freeway, of course!" That place can be a nightmare. LOL
3. a tricky intersection at night with no streetlights

David M.
I think that GPS's require that you use a bit of common sense to properly use one.

1. Anytime I am approaching a Fuel station, and the GPS indicates that there will be a turn soon, I always make sure I understand where I need to go, prior to entering the fuel stop. This does require some fore thought.

2. Again, understanding where you are going prior to arriving at the intersection is a must. If you approach an intersection with multiple exits, then you should know what exit you want prior to getting there.

3 & 4. - GPS's are not the end all answer to navigating. They are navigating tools. Any route I take, I preview the route prior to departure, so that I have an idea what I am looking for and at least have a rough idea what streets and the direction of turn that I will be making. For example, if the GPS indicates a turn coming up in two miles, I hit the speak button so that I know what direction the turn will be. I then get into the appropriate lane for that turn well prior to getting to that turn.

There have been numerous examples lately, of people who are too dependant on their GPS. People who are turning into fields, turning into oncoming traffic without looking because the GPS told them to turn. There is even a TV commercial for an insurance company where a guy turns right and ends up inside a restaurant because the GPS said, "Turn Right" then a short pause, then "in 800 feet"

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Thanks, ammo. But you forgot to mention checkpoints, watching route indicators, wind direction, WAAS, atmospheric propogation delays, faulty satellites, sirfIII chipset, unregulated power supplies, and of course, phases of the moon.

David M.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Question here please. On my 376 it will show that the satelites are working off of 3D. Does mine have the 3D capability? I have not been able to find it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steven, the 3D shown on your GPS when 3 or more satelites are locked in to provide a "3D fix", meaning altitude as well as lat-long. 3D, as in "height, width, and lenght".

the 3D view referred to in this thread is where the screen is "laid down" so it sorta looks like you are looking ahead at the map.

I should have added two more options to the survey - don't have 3D but use North up, and Don't have 3D but use Track Up.

Ken

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
No, Steven - the 'ColorMap'-class units do not have a 3D map view.

Since they were primarily marketed as marine units, there was little need for a 3D perspective.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Trivia: one needs 4 sats for a 3D fix.

David M.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You could be right David about the number of sats, but I sure was thinking my older Garmin GPS units would do a 3D lock with 3 sats - not sure. I need to do a check on that tonight 'cause I surely do not remember..

73 de Ken H>

·
Registered
239 Posts
direction of travel

When I learned to fly, I was taught to hold the charts so my course would be in front of me so it's natural to set my GPS for direction of travel.

That way, all landmarks, streets, etc. appear to my right or left in real life just like it's shown on the GPS.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Yes, elevation. The "3" in "3D."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts