GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm curious to find out how many of you also own smaller, lighter, more nimble bikes that you ride when you don't feel like getting the Wing out. I've been getting the itch for something a bit more sporty that I can ride around the local area. I am really intrigued by the Honda VTR Super Hawk. I rode a couple of them on Saturday and the way this bike makes power makes it a pure joy to ride. It has power everywhere between idle and redline. It's V-twin sounds nice too. It's light, almost half the weight of a GW. They were produced from '97 to '05, and surprisingly, most parts are still fairly easy to find for them. I've been looking at them on FB marketplace and well maintained, mechanically sound examples can be found for $3-$4K. Those in this price range usually have some minor cosmetic flaws. Pristine ones can go for double that, but I think I'd rather have one that I can make cosmetic improvements to over a period of time. That would be kind of a fun project. My only gripe with them is the riding position. It puts too much of my upper body weight on my arms and hands. There are different kits for handlebars that are higher and more pulled back. If I can get the funding bill through congress, I may pull the trigger on one...it would look nice in my garage parked next to the Wing!

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
86 Posts
I do. For me it's more about moods. Feeling frisky? BMW S1000R. Bike night? Triumph Bobber. Nostalgic? Triumph Legend TT. I like the variety.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
213 Posts
Honda CB 500X. Love it! Dual personality bike. Very docile and comfortable to ride. Over 5000 rpm it comes on the cam and screams thru the curves. Light. Feels like riding a mini bike compared to the Wing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Goldwing is our two-up bike, and occasionally a single rider tourer. But for just single rider short trips I have a BMW R1200GS. It's easy to ride, light to maneuver, and can go anywhere. I'm spoiled.
Plant Wheel Tire Sky Ecoregion

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm curious to find out how many of you also own smaller, lighter, more nimble bikes that you ride when you don't feel like getting the Wing out. I've been getting the itch for something a bit more sporty that I can ride around the local area. I am really intrigued by the Honda VTR Super Hawk. I rode a couple of them on Saturday and the way this bike makes power makes it a pure joy to ride. It has power everywhere between idle and redline. It's V-twin sounds nice too. It's light, almost half the weight of a GW. They were produced from '97 to '05, and surprisingly, most parts are still fairly easy to find for them. I've been looking at them on FB marketplace and well maintained, mechanically sound examples can be found for $3-$4K. Those in this price range usually have some minor cosmetic flaws. Pristine ones can go for double that, but I think I'd rather have one that I can make cosmetic improvements to over a period of time. That would be kind of a fun project. My only gripe with them is the riding position. It puts too much of my upper body weight on my arms and hands. There are different kits for handlebars that are higher and more pulled back. If I can get the funding bill through congress, I may pull the trigger on one...it would look nice in my garage parked next to the Wing!
In addition to my wing I have a Harley Dyna and two CTX 1300s

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have been debating a bike that is lighter for one up riding...
also to be able to keep at work address in Fort Worth, TX
biggest problem is as a big rider (6'5" and 295 lbs) there are limited choices (even my 1800 would be nicer if it was a bit taller)

I keep reading about the Honda 800, and perhaps a FJR 1300... or a really nice ST1100 if one can be found
Will likely be going to a trike in the next year or two... torn between trying to find some kind of sport tour that I keep for one up vs. keeping my 1800 and knowing it will be heavy as my knees keep getting degraded.

thanks for the post
bryon

·
Registered
2015 Gl1800 ABS/NAV/Comfort
192 Posts
Just traded my 2015 KTM1290 with 53,000 miles on this new 2022 model. My daily rider to work and about when not riding two up or needing a trailer for cargo hauling.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Reactions: goldwing fan

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been debating a bike that is lighter for one up riding...
also to be able to keep at work address in Fort Worth, TX
biggest problem is as a big rider (6'5" and 295 lbs) there are limited choices (even my 1800 would be nicer if it was a bit taller)

I keep reading about the Honda 800, and perhaps a FJR 1300... or a really nice ST1100 if one can be found
Will likely be going to a trike in the next year or two... torn between trying to find some kind of sport tour that I keep for one up vs. keeping my 1800 and knowing it will be heavy as my knees keep getting degraded.

thanks for the post
bryon
I did briefly consider the ST1300, but it's basically a smaller GW...I don't want that. I don't know about the ST1100...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2009 Triumph Street Triple. Great bike that does it all for solo rides. I've toured it, I've done trackdays on it, I've done commuting on it, day trips...etc. I also race a CBR600RR with WERA. Getting on the Wing after a weekend of racing...you really have to recalibrate the brain. LOL

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,818 Posts
Well,
I have a Three step program. The Wing is for heavy duty, long distance, two up, ultra smooth, ultra quiet and all that type of cruising/touring. Then, one step down is a 2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT. It's my middle of the ground bike for low to higher speed running around, exploring, forest service roads and all that. Then, I have my TRACTOR BIKE. It's a 2007 Yamaha TW200. That little bike has taken me places I never thought I'd go. It's not all that fast but, I didn't buy it for that and, it will always get you there.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 6-Speed
866 Posts
Not me, at my "advanced age" I am very content with my 2018, 6-Spd Tour. It's plenty "frisky" and I don't have to think about which "bike am I on?" when I need to react quickly for some reason. 😉

1 - 20 of 79 Posts